The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

I don't know, in all honesty. It'd be a tougher call given the additional ramifications. It is a lot easier to simply not renew a contract than it is to fire someone; it gives you a natural break and is of course not going to cost money. I think I'd be veering towards leave, tbh, but it's difficult to answer hypotheticals. 

The decision to offer a new contract is essentially a reward. Previously it would have been merited, but after the last four months? Hard for me to see it. 

Whatever we're doing, we need to hurry up and do it. We will miss out on new players and hinder retention of current players that are out of contract if we don't act soon. Additionally, if we are not going to renew McGlynn's contract, he deserves a proper send off. 

In the end you have to look at:

1) The manager was backed with funds to push for promotion

2) The manager was backed with a (very) controversial signing to push for promotion (one that backfired)

3) The team was in position and on form almost halfway through the season

4) Injuries are expected, and not a generally mitigating factor as the manager selected those players and their histories

5) Selling Tait is a mitigating factor

6) We (likely) finished 5th, out of the promotion competition, only winning 3 or 4 games in four months

On the whole, time to change it up.

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If we do dish out a new contract I wouldn't be handing him more than a 12 month contract. I'm not convinced that we won't continue this form into next season...

You weren't convinced we would escape the relegation play-offs at the start of this season.

Amazing we’ve not heard anything about John McGlynn’s contract from our board and ever more staggering neither has he it seems. Opinions are obviously split on his contract (understandable after what’s happened this season) but we really should have this resolved one way or the other before the Kilmarnock game. I can understand wanting to wait until the playoffs were out of sight but that was last week. 

22 hours ago, Jilted John said:

So you’d sack him after one bad run despite everything else he’s achieved? Even if you look at the players signed in January, they weren’t additions, they were replacements. Williamson and Stanton replaced Tait and Spencer. Gullan replaced Vaughan (then got injured himself) only Mackie was an addition to the squad. 

Personally I’d give him a 2yr deal and if we are unable to get a top 4 spot next season then it’s time to part ways. He’s got enough credit in the bank to deserve another crack IMO.

He has no credit left in the bank, that run of form was done on purpose imo. Everybody started to believe that it could’ve been our season. The teams in the league weren’t the greatest, until Killie spent their relegation payments to win it. His role in the Goodwillie debacle is reason enough to get rid. His love of perma crocks totally pisses me off. Signing Vaughan until 2024 is another drain on much needed finances to sign decent players. He may or may NOT return. Or if he does, how many games will he complete before breaking down again. I know it’s unfair to say stuff like that. But it’s a reality we have to come to terms with. This season is a failure of the highest order. Thanks to the board and McGlynn. 

Edited by baillieinleeds

7 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

He has no credit left in the bank, that run of form was done on purpose imo. Everybody started to believe that it could’ve been our season. The teams in the league weren’t the greatest, until Killie spent their relegation payments to win it. His role in the Goodwillie debacle is reason enough to get rid. His love of perma crocks totally pisses me off. Signing Vaughan until 2024 is another drain on much needed finances to sign decent players. He may or may NOT return. Or if he does, how many games will he complete before breaking down again. I know it’s unfair to say stuff like that. But it’s a reality we have to come to terms with. This season is a failure of the highest order. Thanks to the board and McGlynn. 

You're a loonie. 

13 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind this claim?

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind this claim?

I wonder how it was done? Did they start lacing Zanatta's pre match meal with horse tranquilliser?

4 minutes ago, renton said:

I wonder how it was done? Did they start lacing Zanatta's pre match meal with horse tranquilliser?

Think Mcglynn put metal vests under their shirts then activates a huge magnet every time the opposition get a corner kick 

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Think Mcglynn put metal vests under their shirts then activates a huge magnet every time the opposition get a corner kick 

For his last operation, McGlynn had Vaughan's ligaments replaced with 20 year old elastic bands.

Mental. Disappointment perhaps, but failure of the highest order? The same as automatic relegation would have been? Going out 1st shout in every cup competition? Being in the relegation playoffs? You need to remember who we are and get some perspective.

Or strong medication.

As for McGlynn, I think I'm probably on the side of offering him a new contract. The last 4 months have been horrendous but over the medium term, the club is on an upward trajectory. I would give him another year with an automatic further year if we finish top 4 next season. I think he has done enough to deserve that when you assess the season as a whole and the improvements in the club for the 2 seasons before that.

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Screenshot_20220227-173345_Twitter.jpg.a49e38a33b824535a4d0b13016f5584b.jpg

I'm firmly in the new contract brigade. JM inherited a league 1 team, since then promotion  2 Cup finals, a play off and a joint 4th or a 5th place.

Just look at Falkirk to see what we could have easily become.

2nd half form has been appalling and JM needs to give the board answers how he has learned however....the grass isn't always greener. 

Look at Arbroath 8th place last year just avoiding relegation play offs. I really think we will regret not sticking with what we have for another year. 

Even if its a Director of football role with a younger manager. JM has a lot to offer us. 

21 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

I'm firmly in the new contract brigade. JM inherited a league 1 team, since then promotion  2 Cup finals, a play off and a joint 4th or a 5th place.

Just look at Falkirk to see what we could have easily become.

2nd half form has been appalling and JM needs to give the board answers how he has learned however....the grass isn't always greener. 

Look at Arbroath 8th place last year just avoiding relegation play offs. I really think we will regret not sticking with what we have for another year. 

Even if its a Director of football role with a younger manager. JM has a lot to offer us. 

If that’s the case, he has to look at new strategy. You know instead of playing great football for one half of the season and shite for the rest, then I’m all for it. He has contacts at Celtic. But for some reason won’t use them. 

I'm in the keep him camp, not fanatically so but looking at his history overall, his achievements at fhe club and alternatives he stays for me. 

I think a reasonable sit down conversation needs to be had about his signing policy and maximising what we already have. 

Especially seeing as we are likely to have a hefty shopping list. Thus needs to be done ASAP. 

This season has been an absolute basket case which is saying something for us. I think everyone needs a break for a few weeks after Friday.