The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's pretty much always about money these days.

When Pars were promoted to the SPL a couple of years ago, I recall the board/McGlynn making a big deal of it in terms of lost revenue.

Even though the derby crowds were poor last season, we're still talking approximately 8000 people over two games. That kind of money will take a bit of replacing. Dundee or Falkirk possibly will make up the numbers, but I wouldn't like to have to count on it.

It isn't necessarily the crowd that has come in the past that we'll be losing out on. There's a huge chance that had Dunfermline been in the league, they not only would have started minus 10, but also majorly struggled in the 1st Division. Under those circumstances, I'd be stunned if they brought any more than 5/600 to Stark's for a game (remember the rumour was around 800 for the last game until we bribed them with the offer of getting anything above 2000)

If we can't match that from games against Dundee, then there's something going far wrong. Alternatively, we could try getting 1 round further in the cup.

500/600! When that ever happens I'll believe it. They are the big team after all.

You lady boys would'nt know a derby if it smacked you in the pus.

There is only one Fife derby worth a shit and thats us against your manky lot. Always has been always will be. Ask yer dad!

:ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:......still, ye'll be knockin' lumps oot o' yer new derby pals soon!!

Edited by Wee Sandy

Just read we also might be playing Burnley as well, hope its true nothing on either on the websites

Saying that hasnt even confirmed the Morecombe game on our site yet

Burnley's fixtures are filling up, looks unlikely as we would look to play them around the date of the Morcambe match.

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/pre-season-games-confirmed-130513-819323.aspx

Hope the Pars sink to the seaside leagues for a few years. They cheated for a substantial period of time, doing us out of a place in the SPL as a result, and the authorities don't have the courage to punish them accordingly.

Alloa pumping them down to the Second Division is phase one of justice. With any luck they won't return for a long time.

I think Pars going down is probably a blessing in disguise for them right now. Had they beaten Airdrie in the last game they probably would have started with a team that was near certainty to finish bottom, and the crowds would have dropped as they start to face drubbings most weeks. Heck, I'm not even sure if they'll survive in division 2 assuming their better players leave, and with no way to replace them with over 21's.

Edited by Fotbawmad

I'll have to ask my dad for the last time we lost one of these derbies, as I wasn't born.

I`m sure he`ll tell you it was 20 odd years ago and he wouldn't be lying!

One day...

Think it was March 1988. 25 years!

I'll have to ask my dad for the last time we lost one of these derbies, as I wasn't born.

Hint:

I'm 36 now& I was still in primary school last time the Methil Manky Mob got a result against us...

ETA I was at the game too :(

Edited by RoversMad

Again, as with many players we find out on twitter or Facebook that a player has either signed a new contract or has joined the club

This is probably because the players will announce it when they sign the contract whilst the club will wait until clearance from Hampden.

Of the merry-go-round from First Division players I'd quite like to see us attempt to take Morris from the Pars, although obviously he may well be out of budget. Dowie is another who could really shore up our defence.

Kyle Wilkie from Morton is another who might just be worth a go, we really lacked a left winger all season so he'd maybe be worth a shot. Outside of those guys I can't say any if the released First Division players seem to be worth going after.

What about Steven Craig to fill gap where Brian Graham left? Think he notched about 13 goals last season for Thistle. Think McMennamin is free too and Steven Thompsons left St Mirren I think...

Morris is under contract with us, but he'd certainly be a great signing for any SFL1 team. He is a very, very good CB and will surely, IMO, get a move back down to England soon enough! With him being under contract, but the obligations of his contract being broken due to 4/5/6 months without wages/staggered wages, then I don't know if he could walk away and leave whenever he wants or if we'd be able to demand / receive a transfer fee.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you guys go for Dowie - he is very competant and would definitely make your back line a strong unit, especially if he had someone like Ellis or Mensing at CB alongside him. He's also very good with the ball at his feet - can take a touch and make a pass, usually the simple one to the RB/LB.

Have you's offered Cardle a contract? Do you guys want him to stay? I'd be surprised, without being disrespectful, if he didn't have better offers than Raith - although I wouldn't be surprised if he was still in SFL1 next season.

Good luck next year, hopefully we'll be playing you in a season or two's time with the Fife Derbies back on the agenda. All the best! :)