The New Raith Rovers Thread

Another who thought that Murray looked and sounded very downbeat in his post match interview. Although to be fair, it reflected the fan reaction to both games. At Thistle we at least threatened. Against Inverness in the second half it was woeful. The minute the penalty went it then it pretty much felt like the defeat was inevitable. With the dreadful League Cup campaign and poor start to the league, then the jury is still well and truly out on his managerial ability. I’m already just thinking I’ll take 8th this season which is not a great place to be so early in season. Still very early days and perhaps just needs time to turn us around. Let’s hope. 

When Matthews is back, I can see Stanton being benched with Matthews in a deeper laying role and Brown pushing forward where I think he's more suited (imo). As for Millen, I have to agree, he's a donkey and teams have quickly figured that one out.

20 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

As much as he's been poor, that's still a harsh comparison. 

I'm in agreement with the comparison. Offers zero defensively and offensively and put in the most sunday league challenge I've ever seen in my life. I'd play Brown at RB and start Spencer (presuming he's fit) as the deep lying midfielder. 

29 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

I'm in agreement with the comparison. Offers zero defensively and offensively and put in the most sunday league challenge I've ever seen in my life. I'd play Brown at RB and start Spencer (presuming he's fit) as the deep lying midfielder. 

Him and Liam Dick are probably the worst full backs I’ve seen at the rovers in a long time both are L1 Relegation fodder level players who shouldn’t be in a team with aims of going into the premiership 

ICT didn't look like scoring until Millen's brain storm, so effectively cost us the game. He seemed to have done reasonably well in the previous couple of games so maybe there's more to him than our scathing assessment of his performance on Saturday. Benedictus and Davo weren't above that level of performance at times. Maybe Millen will prove us wrong - we can hope.

Edited by Raith_Raver

2 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

ICT didn't look like scoring until Millen's brain storm, so effectively cost us the game. He seemed to have done reasonably well in the previous couple of games so maybe there's more to him than our scathing assessment of his performance on Saturday. Benedictus and Davo weren't above that level of performance at times. Maybe Millen will prove us wrong - we can hope.

Can’t remember 1 good game he’s played tbh, he slows all our attacks down by passing it backwards or sideways and he couldny cross water, can’t track back, defensively a liability, jockies his winger and doesn’t put a foot in like Saturday when there were 3 around that boy him included, he’s just a shite RB who’s here for 2 years 

19 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Can’t remember 1 good game he’s played tbh, he slows all our attacks down by passing it backwards or sideways and he couldny cross water, can’t track back, defensively a liability, jockies his winger and doesn’t put a foot in like Saturday when there were 3 around that boy him included, he’s just a shite RB who’s here for 2 years 

Sounds like he needs a bit of coaching 😀

IMHO:
Brown, suited to deep lying mid or RB, unsuited further forward

Stanton, unsuited to deep lying mid, very suitable at mid and suitable at attacking mid.

Spencer, very suited to deep lying mid or straight mid.

Matthews, very suited to straight mid, marginal as deep lying mid.

Arnott, marginal to unsuited at deep lying mid, suitable at mid, very suitable to attacking mid.

Easton, unsuited at deep lying mid, suitable at mid, very suitable at attacking mid.

Ross, unsuited at deep mid and mid, suitable at attacking mid.

Which leaves us a log jam at attacking mid, and quite thin at deep lying mid.

Additionally, I don’t understand the pure venom direct at Liam Dick. He’s not nearly as bad as many suggest, but I’ll agree he’s no world beater…he’s an average to below average Championship LB. Compared to Millen, he’s a superstar, but I suspect IM has directed both Millen and Dick to play more defensively than normal due to the children we have at CB, so as Nolan and O’Riordan (and then Lang) settle in, we may see improvement in FB play.

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I don’t understand the pure venom direct at Liam Dick. He’s not nearly as bad as many suggest

Take it you're still on your boycott of RaithTV and are basing all your very highly opinionated views on 10 minutes of highlights each week?

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

, but I suspect IM has directed both Millen and Dick to play more defensively than normal due to the children we have at CB, so as Nolan and O’Riordan (and then Lang) settle in, we may see improvement in FB

Simple Solution sign an experienced CH who has played first team football for a number of years so he could guide the “children”. And there’s no way you could improve Ross Millen and Liam Dick to be competent full backs at Championship level there’s a reason 1 played part time for a number of years 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

That's what wingers are for!

That is true! But our wingers don’t play like that ours like to cut inside and try and shoot or dribble past players and try cut it back for a tap in they would have to change that or switch sides!

Edited by RRFC_Liam

Nolan is 23, not a kid, and O Riordan has strolled through every game.

They aren't the problem.  The single biggest issue is in the final 3rd of the pitch, with the full backs a secondary issue.  Other than squad depth, this fabled experienced centre back does not solve anything.  

51 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Take it you're still on your boycott of RaithTV and are basing all your very highly opinionated views on 10 minutes of highlights each week?

Not basing it solely upon highlights. Reading all comments and commentary, and then comparing to video evidence and such. Certainly, I freely admit to not attending/viewing matches.