The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'd be surprised if any of our current players decided to jump ship just now. Byrne is the only question mark however if he's recalled I'd be surprised if he's not loaned back for the rest of the season ala Zanatta when he was at Hearts. Ideally Dundee just agree to extend his loan. I can't see up coming out of contract players putting pen to paper before they know what league we're going to be in next season likewise teams buying players in January when they could get them for free in the summer would make more sense. 

Likewise, I'd be surprised (but also delighted!) if we get any contract extensions being announced right now. We don't know what league we will be in next year as Raithie says above, and understandably the agents will be looking to get the best opportunities for their players in what is a short career. That's not to say we won't have already sat down with some of the guys we want to keep on and put an offer on the table, of course. If previous seasons are anything to go by, we might not hear anything for a few months yet, but hopefully no need to be panicking at this stage.

On Shaun Byrne, something that was discussed on the podcast earlier in the week got me thinking: it might not be the worst thing in the world if we do end up signing Byrne outright in the transfer window, as long as it doesn't break the bank. Dundee are doing well and, barring an injury crisis, seem to be well loaded in that position. Crucially, it would also open up a space to allow us to take another over-21 loan player in, which could help us to strengthen in critical areas for the second half of the season.

8 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

Likewise, I'd be surprised (but also delighted!) if we get any contract extensions being announced right now. We don't know what league we will be in next year as Raithie says above, and understandably the agents will be looking to get the best opportunities for their players in what is a short career. That's not to say we won't have already sat down with some of the guys we want to keep on and put an offer on the table, of course. If previous seasons are anything to go by, we might not hear anything for a few months yet, but hopefully no need to be panicking at this stage.

On Shaun Byrne, something that was discussed on the podcast earlier in the week got me thinking: it might not be the worst thing in the world if we do end up signing Byrne outright in the transfer window, as long as it doesn't break the bank. Dundee are doing well and, barring an injury crisis, seem to be well loaded in that position. Crucially, it would also open up a space to allow us to take another over-21 loan player in, which could help us to strengthen in critical areas for the second half of the season.

It would also allow us to play him against Lavvy, I reckon the whole James McPake contacting Dundee was a complete non story, if he is a contracted player then it's a different story, yeah if Dundee agree to loan him until the end of season then it (should) also free him up for the game. 

One thing is a stick on, Dundee will be looking at his performance and thinking we could do with that in our side.

2 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

It would also allow us to play him against Lavvy, I reckon the whole James McPake contacting Dundee was a complete non story, if he is a contracted player then it's a different story, yeah if Dundee agree to loan him until the end of season then it (should) also free him up for the game. 

One thing is a stick on, Dundee will be looking at his performance and thinking we could do with that in our side.

That's the funny thing, they aren't. There was one of the Dees fans on here last night saying they've got about five centre midfielders in their squad. Byrne is enjoying his football with us, and wasn't with Dundee. I can't see anything other than him coming back to being with us. It was mentioned on the podcast about being "big stack bullies" for once, and the situation with Byrne sums that up: there isn't a better option for Shaun Byrne in Scottish football outside other than coming back to Raith for the second half of the season, and based on interviews he wants to be with us. 

2 hours ago, mealsonwheels said:

We have a couple of first team players out of contract nxt year, included in this is Dylan Easton.  He can sign a pre contract with a team in January can he not?  Surely we should be doing everything in our power to extend our prized assets prior to the Jan window.

It has already been mentioned in an interview that some talks have begun with players…and don’t forget that IM is out of contract too, and surely moving up the interest ranks with this performance.

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That's the funny thing, they aren't. There was one of the Dees fans on here last night saying they've got about five centre midfielders in their squad. Byrne is enjoying his football with us, and wasn't with Dundee. I can't see anything other than him coming back to being with us. It was mentioned on the podcast about being "big stack bullies" for once, and the situation with Byrne sums that up: there isn't a better option for Shaun Byrne in Scottish football outside other than coming back to Raith for the second half of the season, and based on interviews he wants to be with us. 

Yeah I've spoken to Shaun a couple of times and he's said he is loving playing football with us, we know he wants to stay, he wants to stay, unfortunately it's up to Dundee FC so out of our hands.

But as you say the best outcome for both teams is that he remains a Rovers player.

4 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Yeah I've spoken to Shaun a couple of times and he's said he is loving playing football with us, we know he wants to stay, he wants to stay, unfortunately it's up to Dundee FC so out of our hands.

But as you say the best outcome for both teams is that he remains a Rovers player.

Wouldn't surprise me if hes signed in January, even an offer on pre contract, he wasnt wanted at Dundee so hell knows why they cup tied him    

I think Dundee will try it on with Byrne. They'll recall him for all of January to try and get a fee out of us. Whichis a gamble for them but equally he would be a big miss for us. That said we have Brown and Matthews to come into his place depending how well our defenders hold up with injuries. 

1 hour ago, Kuma Power said:

Crucially, it would also open up a space to allow us to take another over-21 loan player in, which could help us to strengthen in critical areas for the second half of the season.

I’m pretty sure that rule changed a few years back. Don’t think there are any age restrictions on the number of loans. Think it’s just 4 in total from Scottish clubs and no more than 2 from the same club but @TxRovermay be able to confirm. Still be excellent to get him signed up though.

16 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The biggest issue for us with Byrne probably isn't Dundee recalling him because they need him. The bigger worry for me is that a 3rd party club put in an offer for him that Dundee accept and he moves elsewhere. 

He'll not go to anyone in the top 6 of the top league because that would be a ridiculous jump up. Dundee won't do what we did with Vaughan and accept a loan from a team who are bottom 6. We're top of the pile outside of the rest of those clubs, and then you add in that he's from Kennoway, and knows the players, management and has a great relationship with our fan base. The latter half of that feeds into a situation of pre-contracts too. I'd say it's almost certain he'll sign for us on loan again.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dundee let Byrne go on a free. He isn't going to get a game for them and it would free up a wage that could be spent elsewhere. Do they hold out for a fee? I can't see as it would be a big gamble and they might need the wages he's freed up sooner rather than later. If we do get him on a free then that gives us the option of bringing in an older player on loan.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

I’m pretty sure that rule changed a few years back. Don’t think there are any age restrictions on the number of loans. Think it’s just 4 in total from Scottish clubs and no more than 2 from the same club but @TxRovermay be able to confirm. Still be excellent to get him signed up though.

Correct, no ages, five total, one from a club in the  same league and three from a single club in a different league, five total.

IMG_0692.thumb.jpeg.b65145bd25dbd1c3b8acd08603f9ef3e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The biggest issue for us with Byrne probably isn't Dundee recalling him because they need him. The bigger worry for me is that a 3rd party club put in an offer for him that Dundee accept and he moves elsewhere. 

He could move down south if that were to happen I’m sure you can only play for 2 clubs in a season from the same country 

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

He could move down south if that were to happen I’m sure you can only play for 2 clubs in a season from the same country 

I don't think he played any games for Dundee this season so he could probably sign for someone else in January.