The New Raith Rovers Thread

The Partick announcement says he's signed until May 2025. Per The Courier, we were only offering until the end of the season. 

Can't be blamed for that tbh. And I'm not sure I'd have offered beyond the season either. 

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

You've surely got cash to spend from somewhere then, Good luck to the guy though just not against us

Wes McDonald away back down south has freed up a wage. He was apparently on a decent whack for a guy who never actually played.

I don't know a great deal about O'Reilly, but judging by the Raith fans' reaction I take it we've got a good one.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Wes McDonald away back down south has freed up a wage. He was apparently on a decent whack for a guy who never actually played.

I don't know a great deal about O'Reilly, but judging by the Raith fans' reaction I take it we've got a good one.

It would appear so, but (theres always a but lol) hes only played a handful of games and can be a bit to aggressive at times

Just now, Nightmare said:

You've got a competent centre half definitely. Understandable that he's moving on for a bit more security and closer to home as well I think. He's done great with us, can't blame him for taking a longer deal elsewhere.

I find the situation with O'Reilly very strange, turned down a new Hamilton deal after they got relegated then goes 6 months without a club. Obviously he didn't get the deal he wanted in the summer then signs with Raith to get himself noticed with the January window on the horizon.

I like like him and he's a big favourite with Airdrie fans but Is he a billy big boots who thinks he's better than he is?

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Being outbid by a rival club below is always going to sting a little tbh. The timing is also bad, with Millen suspended due to an idiotic red card. 

But yes, he's been a good player for us. I think had we been more proactive then we'd have likely kept him, although maybe we were a bit hung up with Murray's pacey winger and working out what else we can do, who knows. You take your chances with a short deal. 

Edited by Michael W

Disappointing to lose him, especially given the possible injury to Murray and Watson not being back fully yet.  But can't blame the guy for taking the longer deal.

He's done well in his time with us, bit of aggressiveness and always likely to win something in either box as a result.  If we've only offered him a short deal though you'd imagine it's either Potter having somebody else lined up for the summer so couldn't justify giving O'Reilly a longer deal or it's just financial.  Although surely can't be the financial side as we've been assured that we're throwing money at it this season.

Assuming Murray is injured and Watson isn't ready to start a game, combined with Millen being suspended, then Murray's going to have some fun figuring out a defence for Saturday. 

Helps dispel the ‘Fife Gretna’ chat if nothing else!

I wouldn’t have offered him any more than a deal to the end of the season so glad we’ve held our ground on that. I think he’s a decent Championship centre half, nothing more, nothing less. We’ve conceded 9 goals in his 7 appearances and only kept 1 clean sheet (other factors too obviously) but it’s hardly like we’ve been rock solid and he’s irreplaceable.

If the plan is to run with what we have then I’m concerned because he added something to the squad. However, if the funds were to be used to bring in someone like Lee Ashcroft or an upgrade at left back then I’m fine with it.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. O’reilly is and always has been a liability. He was very lucky not to get a red on Saturday, we will see more of that. 

I honestly don’t see why we have to rush out and get a new CH utilise what we have. If managers don’t have faith in what is on the bench then let them go elsewhere. Must be 💩 going to work every day knowing you’re not getting a game and manager isn’t a fan. Why keep/sign these boys in the first place?