The New Raith Rovers Thread

If I recall correctly is it was around 83 folk who bought the lifetime season ticket. I would have considered it at the time but I was still at Uni and it probably wouldn’t have been a good use of my student grant. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

If I recall correctly is it was around 83 folk who bought the lifetime season ticket. I would have considered it at the time but I was still at Uni and it probably wouldn’t have been a good use of my student grant. 

🫣😂😂😂😂

Now there's a generation out there since then, asking........ "what's a student grant?"🥹

Edited by embow

39 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Maybe think about that. 30 years not paying for a season ticket. It would have been one of the best investments you ever made!

50 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Absolutely.

Grant cheque received, grant cheque cashed then straight down to Our Price to blow it on CDs and videos.

No issue at all with people still using them.  Sounds like a no brainer in terms of an investment, but there was every chance the club could have folded and that £1k would have been thrown down the drain.  

Good on them, the club desperately needed the cash so they are entitled to reap the benefits of that.

1 hour ago, mrpaddyx said:

My student grant funded my trips to Iceland and Munich 

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

No issue at all with people still using them.  Sounds like a no brainer in terms of an investment, but there was every chance the club could have folded and that £1k would have been thrown down the drain.  

Good on them, the club desperately needed the cash so they are entitled to reap the benefits of that.

100% agree with this. The relatively low number of people taking this up shows there was a perceived risk at the time.

If these guys that put their money up and possibly saved the club are treated well, then it increases the chance they will give up their ticket over time, or contribute to the club in other ways. 

The you've had your moneys worth attitude will just put peoples backs up.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

My student grant funded my trips to Iceland and Munich 

Incredible to think that I was able to live off mine without any parental contribution bar the occasional borrowed end of term fiver to get a train and bus home from Aberdeen.  The last week of term in the flat with three others was usually ticht, food wise, and porridge and toast was the staple diet for that week for all of us. The holidays summer, winter and Easter were spent labouring for the "toon cooncil" to make some money. Everything from emptying bins to digging graves to sweeping streets, cutting grass and tarring streets. Repairing sewers was in there as well, just to put an edge on things! Absolutely loved it.😄

Edited by embow
Repeat word typed

17 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Player signing for (my team) = Absolutely above board and clearly they're signing on manageable wages. 

Player signs for rivals = Overspending obviously! 

Deserves to be in a new thread of tropes that show up on P&B.

13 hours ago, MICMAC said:

McNeil I think will want 1st team football and if we do sign Hanlon I thi k Corr will be away as well, probably Morton 

I do fear you will be proven correct. While Thomson was onboard as back-up and coach, McNeil had the opportunity to go on loan (see Edinburgh City loan). Without Thomson available, McNeil will be "riding the pine", although IM has shown that his #2 keeper may get starts in some Cup campaigns.

25 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Doesn't understand the meaning of 'lifetime'...

Think you could get a season ticket every season for the rest of your life , I was getting married soon when they came out or would have been tempted tbh. Very shortsighted though by that board but we haemorrhaged money back then under them 

15 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Until James Brown got a knock Byrne was warming the bench as Murray was playing Scott Brown and Matthews in the middle, with Corr or Watson in defence. Byrne got his chance again once Matthews moved to RB. Don't think Byrne would be a first choice pick for a midfield spot.

McNeil I think will want 1st team football and if we do sign Hanlon I thi k Corr will be away as well, probably Morton 

Sure Byrne was struggling with an injury.I like Matthews but he’s not at the level of Byrne.

18 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Sure Byrne was struggling with an injury.I like Matthews but he’s not at the level of Byrne.

Aye this narrative that Byrne 'was benched' or whatever is disingenuous. He was clattered in the face and presumably had a fairly nasty concussion. 

Fully fit, Shaun Byrne starts in any midfield in this division. 

53 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Aye this narrative that Byrne 'was benched' or whatever is disingenuous. He was clattered in the face and presumably had a fairly nasty concussion. 

Fully fit, Shaun Byrne starts in any midfield in this division. 

Agree with this. Shaun, IMO, should be playing in the league above. Was delighted he came in on loan and really hope he signs. 

6 minutes ago, ganainm85 said:

Agree with this. Shaun, IMO, should be playing in the league above. Was delighted he came in on loan and really hope he signs. 

I think Byrne is one who suits playing in one of the best teams in a division, so he suits the Championship more.

In the top flight hes more exposed to having to do defensive work and you see how immobile/slow he is, and how hes poor on the ball under pressure with no passing options.

Thats not me saying hes shite FWIW, there just players like that who can't play well in poor teams.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think Byrne is one who suits playing in one of the best teams in a division, so he suits the Championship more.

In the top flight hes more exposed to having to do defensive work and you see how immobile/slow he is, and how hes poor on the ball under pressure with no passing options.

Thats not me saying hes shite FWIW, there just players like that who can't play well in poor teams.

I know what you mean, and it's been said about him before in the past. What some would call Rolls Royce type player in that you need to be good to have him playing. If the teams poor he isn't the type to dig in and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're maybe using language that's slightly more critical than I'd choose, bur I agree with your overall point. 

I also think it's a phenomenon that more players and agents should pay attention to. Particularly your flashy wingers of this world. Drop a level, get into the top half of the division below, and you'll have a much better time of it.