The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

PTSD of Blobby Geddes flailing about in that thing.

1 hour ago, mealsonwheels said:

I do remember Thomson flying about in that top too if I remember well

I’m sure we brought Geddes in towards the end of the season as Thomson had been struggling for form. From memory, Geddes actually did quite well for us but it was during the relegation from the Premier League.

32 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’m sure we brought Geddes in towards the end of the season as Thomson had been struggling for form. From memory, Geddes actually did quite well for us but it was during the relegation from the Premier League.

Was it not the season before? 95-96? Signed when Jimmy Thomson took over am sure about the February of that season.

5 hours ago, SerieA said:

I reckon Hannah and Montagu will head out on loan and Murray/Potter will look to bring in a couple of more experienced players on loan.

I would rather we kept them both and gave them a chance whether that’s off the bench or starting when we have injury/suspension.No better place to learn than alongside some of the experienced players we have.

Likewise with a striker.Why not take a punt on a young player from somewhere rather than try and find a loan - like Rudden!!

Loan predictions:

Hannah will be on loan swiftly, probably to a League One side that offers a good amount of playing time. I do wonder if, with his sheer size/stature, if he won’t be moved to CB.

Montagu will be kept at Starks Park until at least January. I’m will want him working out with the team, “learning” to be a full-time player, seeing the games. With our surfeit of midfield talent, someone or other will be sitting with him during games discussing what’s happening and why…he’ll be heavily into reviewing videos, and will be carefully evaluated during it all.  Come February, absent a remarkable job to force his way into the side, he’ll be on loan to a League One or Two side low on the table and needing a creative type.

Gibson will be interesting. he’s already had solid time at the League One level, so he doesn’t “need” a loan to develop. On the other hand, he does need playing time with as young as he is. If he isn’t seeing regular shifts by January, he’ll probably get a loan to somewhere very close willing to promise playing time…think Kelty, East Fife, that sort of close. The other possibility would be if Willie at Annan could use him…we may dislike Willie Gibson for his success against us, but I’d trust him to play and develop his laddie.

We have a squad of 21…we need more players, especially if we do loan anyone. A GK, a RB/utility defender (and maybe a CB), and an attacker or two would be my shouts.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Loan predictions:

Hannah will be on loan swiftly, probably to a League One side that offers a good amount of playing time. I do wonder if, with his sheer size/stature, if he won’t be moved to CB.

Montagu will be kept at Starks Park until at least January. I’m will want him working out with the team, “learning” to be a full-time player, seeing the games. With our surfeit of midfield talent, someone or other will be sitting with him during games discussing what’s happening and why…he’ll be heavily into reviewing videos, and will be carefully evaluated during it all.  Come February, absent a remarkable job to force his way into the side, he’ll be on loan to a League One or Two side low on the table and needing a creative type.

Gibson will be interesting. he’s already had solid time at the League One level, so he doesn’t “need” a loan to develop. On the other hand, he does need playing time with as young as he is. If he isn’t seeing regular shifts by January, he’ll probably get a loan to somewhere very close willing to promise playing time…think Kelty, East Fife, that sort of close. The other possibility would be if Willie at Annan could use him…we may dislike Willie Gibson for his success against us, but I’d trust him to play and develop his laddie.

We have a squad of 21…we need more players, especially if we do loan anyone. A GK, a RB/utility defender (and maybe a CB), and an attacker or two would be my shouts.

No chance of Gibson going out loan.He starts ahead of Connolly and Mullin for me.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Loan predictions:

Not sure Hannah will get a league 1 side. He was a sub for most of his time at Albion Rovers. Wherever he goes, he needs to be a regular starter.

I agree with Montagu, he looks to have real talent but needs to be playing as well as training full time. I think we would need another body in before we can allow him to go though.

Gibson will be a regular next season. He’s already used to full time football so he will be looking to hit the ground running. 

Just catching up on things in here, the ambivalence towards Jack Hamilton this pre season is similar to the treatment Liam Dick was receiving 12 months ago, and he turned it round with his best season for the Rovers.

I’m fully backing Jack to surpass his goal tally from last season.

51 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Not sure Hannah will get a league 1 side. He was a sub for most of his time at Albion Rovers. Wherever he goes, he needs to be a regular starter.

I agree with Montagu, he looks to have real talent but needs to be playing as well as training full time. I think we would need another body in before we can allow him to go though.

Gibson will be a regular next season. He’s already used to full time football so he will be looking to hit the ground running. 

Pretty sure he started most games for Albion Rovers and was well thought of

19 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Just catching up on things in here, the ambivalence towards Jack Hamilton this pre season is similar to the treatment Liam Dick was receiving 12 months ago, and he turned it round with his best season for the Rovers.

Hope he does bud but he has had a poor pre season so far tbh, whatever is going on in his head hopefully it leaves him 🔜 

I think we glaringly need a bit of pace in the team, whether it’s up top or in the wide berths. Gibson is still young and has shown signs of a player being there, but I just feel it’s something we majorly lacked last season and it gives us a different option. 

we lack pace in the wide areas, and at times last season if our passing was off or things weren’t clicking we struggled to break teams down or even force many shots at goal. 

I just feel with the types of players we have we can become a bit predictable. 

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Ambivalence, good way to put it, ie starting to get mixed feelings about a player most of us think has what it takes.

Think there's one or two that don't fit the Murray\Potts ball style of play which is probably more to blame for some of the performances (not just preseason, second half of last season we werent great at times)

Given LV seems to be a couple of weeks behind fitness wise, I would go with the following team on Sat:

Kev

Freeman Fordyce Hanlon Stevenson

Gibson Brown Stanton Easton

Smith Hamilton

Fairly attacking and hopefully Smith and/or Hamilton can bag goals and get a bit of confidence 

47 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

I think we glaringly need a bit of pace in the team, whether it’s up top or in the wide berths. Gibson is still young and has shown signs of a player being there, but I just feel it’s something we majorly lacked last season and it gives us a different option. 

we lack pace in the wide areas, and at times last season if our passing was off or things weren’t clicking we struggled to break teams down or even force many shots at goal. 

We do have a fair bit of pace in the team, Mullin, Smith and Gibson are all very quick, even Stanton is pretty fast once her gets going.

One of the issues we had last season with the pace thing is Murray always plays the wide men on the opposite side so they cut in on their stronger foot. That naturally slows things down. 

6 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

We do have a fair bit of pace in the team, Mullin, Smith and Gibson are all very quick, even Stanton is pretty fast once her gets going.

One of the issues we had last season with the pace thing is Murray always plays the wide men on the opposite side so they cut in on their stronger foot. That naturally slows things down. 

Mullin does not have the pace that some on here including myself believe we need. Fitzpatrick at Partick has raw pace, Fotheringham at Dundee Utd has raw pace that's the type of pace we need. 

49 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Mullin does not have the pace that some on here including myself believe we need. Fitzpatrick at Partick has raw pace, Fotheringham at Dundee Utd has raw pace that's the type of pace we need. 

Fitzpatrick doesn't have much end product and is the most crabbit man I've seen on a pitch in a long time. Gives up when it isn't working.

Fotheringham has certainly developed from when we had him, but he ain't coming back to us.

15 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Pace isn't Mullin's strong suit but you'll struggle to find someone with a better delivery at this level. 

Gibson on first sighting looks like he might run him close as he develops

2 hours ago, RaithRyan said:

I thought that pretty much every time I watched Raith last season. Loads of great attacking options in midfield and further forward but for as talented as Easton, Mullin, Vaughan etc are they lack a change of pace going forward. Gibson might not be as accomplished as Mullin or Connolly just yet but I think having him as an option will really help Raith, even if at times it just helps to open up space for more technical players to exploit. 

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

That’s how most teams set up these days.