The New Raith Rovers Thread

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Was struck by just how experienced Raith’s team are when watching them today. Other than maybe Dabrowski every starting player must have 200 appearances, some of them way more than that, all at a decent level.

Do Raith actually have a bit too much experience? Obviously they’re not helped by how Murray set up tactically but it all felt a bit unexciting. I thought Gibson did make somewhat of a difference when he came on but a bit like last season, Raith just feel a bit stodgy. One or two younger players with a bit more energy and pace could make a difference.

Thats my view on it, we are very one paced which comes from having so many older players. Smith was our youngest at 24.The average age of the starting 11 was 29.3 years. Thats not wonderful.

We were never going to win the league playing how we did in the first half of last season.

We never won the league playing like how we did in the second half of last season.

We aren’t going to challenge for playoff playing like how we’ve started this season. I’m including pre season and cup games in that, not just today.We have been below average going forward so far this season. I mentioned it the other week about the lack of creativity and a new striker might not make the difference.

Murray and co need to sort it asap. It won’t take long for all the good work from last season to go out the window-doesn’t take much for attendances to dwindle.

5 minutes ago, SerieA said:

We were never going to win the league playing how we did in the first half of last season.

We never won the league playing like how we did in the second half of last season.

We aren’t going to challenge for playoff playing like how we’ve started this season. I’m including pre season and cup games in that, not just today.We have been below average going forward so far this season. I mentioned it the other week about the lack of creativity and a new striker might not make the difference.

Murray and co need to sort it asap. It won’t take long for all the good work from last season to go out the window-doesn’t take much for attendances to dwindle.

Aye, this is a very relevent factor. As soon as it looks like, at best, avoiding trouble. Crowds will melt away.

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I mean, if thats true, and its likely not, then show him the door now. Its not like he didn't know about the pitch etc before he signed and if he's unable to play on it, thats on him, not us. 

I doubt its true though, i've heard some utterly mental talk from the stands about some players that others then "agree" with that turns out to be nonsense. 

If my arithmetic is correct, 72% of Raith's league games will be on plastic pitches. Not to mention training every day. I refuse to believe the club/player would go ahead with that signing if Hanlon already knew it would be an issue - surely neither is that stupid, and if he didn't know it was an issue I'd be skeptical that anyone can come to that diagnosis after a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If my arithmetic is correct, 72% of Raith's league games will be on plastic pitches. Not to mention training every day. I refuse to believe the club/player would go ahead with that signing if Hanlon already knew it would be an issue - surely neither is that stupid, and if he didn't know it was an issue I'd be skeptical that anyone can come to that diagnosis after a couple of weeks.

Has he even trained on it, or was he crocked even before he signed    

That post match interview from IM.

"We need players in that have legs", well maybe signing 4 players in their early to mid thirties wasn't such a great idea eh?

On that subject I'm not a Mullin fan either, he was signed on a long contract and for a winger he has limited pace and even less stamina, other than his dead ball deliveries he offers very little. 

Having experienced defenders is great as long as some of them have at least some pace, ours simply do not.

With experienced guys like: Vaughan, Stanton, Matthews, Brown and Easton was Byrne the right signing in midfield?  Standout player until Christmas last season, but since then?  Maybe another guy in his early 20's would have been a shout. What happened to the "Young and hungry" mantra?

Murray is as much to blame as the team, in too many games we look pedestrian at best. I couldn't see Frank Connor putting up with those type of performances.

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

He played all of the friendlies, including one at home, in which he scored. 

Today wasn't very good, but we don't need to lose even the most basic ability to process facts and information over it. 

Its Hanlon we were on about 

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Its Hanlon we were on about 

Hanlon scored in the 1-0 pre-season win over Caley and played in all 3 pre-season friendlies

Edited by Kooz92

3 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I imagined him scoring against Caley Thistle, did I? 

Yeah, Arbroath or ICT it was one of them I missed the preseason games in person and a chunk of the LC too......and also today's game, although I did catch some of it streamed.

On 01/08/2024 at 20:03, mealsonwheels said:

Brutal to watch that today, kind of gone the way of all pre season games though. An incredible lack of creativity and movement in the final third. 

Gibson should be starting every game now, has made a difference every time he has been on the park. Pacey, direct and looks to play with no fear. 

Formation was ridiculous from the start today, does anyone know what the plan was? 

First game fo the season, plenty football to be played. Big performance needed next Saturday but I'm not as doom and gloom as many appear to be. Just wish Murray would stop being so stubborn sometimes. 

On 12/06/2024 at 20:59, RR #1 said:

Absolutely delighted with that news. A real class act of a player. Already looking forward to us parading the Championship trophy next May.

Eh,how dode you guys do today.Cant wait to get back to Kirkcaldy..Lions are improving and getting better. This pish about Prem teams dropping down.11/2 Livi get in there. £100 700 quid  back..Make yerselves some money.👍£££.

7 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Eh,how dode you guys do today.Cant wait to get back to Kirkcaldy..Lions are improving and getting better. This pish about Prem teams dropping down.11/2 Livi get in there. £100 700 quid  back..Make yerselves some money.👍£££.

We're pish, go haunt the Ayr or Partick threads.

I do have my worries, and we saw this at times last season as well, that Murray doesn't know his strongest 11. If Freeman was fit then he should play rather than shoe horning a midfielder into right back. Vaughan probably shouldn't have started either having only done, what, 3 training sessions? That's a huge risk imo. Today didn't surprise me if I'm honest. Having seen what was served up in pre season/LC groups I had my concerns, I didn't envisage today being as bad as it was but there was no sign of us at any point scoring this afternoon.