The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Wonder if he spoke to Murray over the weekend

I was wondering that.  If you were looking at taking a job which was a big move, and meant uprooting your family and you know the previous guy got sacked in a way that some might say was unfairly.  Then, if you could you would definitely try and reach out to him to see if there's any info he can give you that might impact on your decision. 

1 minute ago, CountryBumpkin said:

All managers and head coaches have an input into transfers, they ask for players, tell the relevant people what they want this player to do for them in the position and once a list of targets is drawn up, the manager gets to review them (or input directly into a specific player if possible) and gets the final say. That happens at every club, because even the other managers you've listed, hell even McGlynn doesn't do it all on his own. For McGlynn, the aforementioned relevant people will at first be the scouts and then whoever he liaises with at board level to sanction the signing and hopefully deal with the contract (don't trust McGlynn to detail contracts, they're quite bad). At Raith, its Potter who does that work between Manager and scouting network, he also can recommend players, but its the manager who has the final say, because they're players he has to work with. 

The club did, a player like Jamieson (a forward with pace to get in behind), was wanted all summer by Murray too. There is no reason to suggest that priority changes. Its also not a permanent signing and can be rescinded if the new manager favours other players, but Jamieson is a good player to bring in.

By "it strikes me" do you mean  "I was hit on the head and this is the best I can work out these days"?

The football department is overseen by Allan Halliday, Director of Football Operations and the manager is facilitated by John Potter, Technical Director and Cameron (Assistant Manager). The Manager, or FIrst Team coach, will work to their job description, as will everyone else. The club is overseen by Barrowman, who is CEO. 

As for Healy, I suspect its gone one of two ways, either he was angling for a new deal, even though he applied for the job and agreed terms or he told his wife, she googled Kirkcaldy and vetoed it. 

OH FFS how many people do you need to run a £2m operation in the Scottish Championship? Talk about chiefs and Indians. Talk about top heavy. We have been there thank f**k we saw the light. 

1 minute ago, Varna Rover said:

in otherwords your shit stirring and trolling this site.

It is an open forum. We have had plenty of shit over the years for our issues. Suck it up 

7 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Wonder if he spoke to Murray over the weekend

Wonder if the other candidates have also spoken to Murray or others about what went on. 

25 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I can't really put my finger on it, but something doesn't sit right with me when I hear Barrowman speak. Appreciate I'm not a Rovers fan so am purely talking from the outside looking in. This judgment is based on very little but vibes, so is ultimately worthless, but there's just something a little bit untrustworthy about him I can't quite pinpoint.  His 20 minute interview where he used a lot of words to say heehaw likely didn't help.

While you might legitimately ask what qualification I have to make such a judgement, I was proudly ahead of the curve in thinking Gary Holt was a c**t, something I wear as a badge of honour.

Yeah I'm starting to get to that point. 

Murray said he had a great working relationship with the board and he gave Potter a list of players he wanted and Potter got those he asked for. The presumption that there were things going on behind the scenes with Murray and the board is just laughable.

I can't see Murray speaking with a potential replacement and telling them not to take the because of this, that or whatever. I think they'll look at him and think he's just bitter, which I don't think he is as a person.

I think the big factor for whoever is going to come in will be aware that if they don't hit the ground running, they'll be out on their erse, sooner rather than later.

Just now, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Longer this goes on the more I think its Gary Bowyer.

Pretty sure it was shaughan who first suggested that name and iv only ever seen it here so it would be surprising. 

It's a shit show after 22 days not having a new manager however the names the board have admitted to or seem to have something behind at least show they are just going to appoint someone without merit, which is encouraging if nothing else. What happens when the next one turns them down though? 

37 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

in otherwords your shit stirring and trolling this site.

To be fair neeber you’ve got a hard neck in regards to posting shite. 

7 minutes ago, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Longer this goes on the more I think its Gary Bowyer.

Totally unofficial and no quotes on this but the talk was that Bowyer turned us down in January but the reason never came out.  I don't think it was financial though.  

We were pretty shit TBF so it could be as simple as that :lol:

10 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Murray said he had a great working relationship with the board and he gave Potter a list of players he wanted and Potter got those he asked for. The presumption that there were things going on behind the scenes with Murray and the board is just laughable.

I can't see Murray speaking with a potential replacement and telling them not to take the because of this, that or whatever. I think they'll look at him and think he's just bitter, which I don't think he is as a person.

I think the big factor for whoever is going to come in will be aware that if they don't hit the ground running, they'll be out on their erse, sooner rather than later.

All these players, ex players and coaches talk. The manner of the dismissal of Murray will have, imo, put a number of candidates off. 

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

It’s been well documented that Murray did have an input in the transfers, it was up to Potter to go out and pursue them and attract them to the club. Every player that we signed were wanted by Murray. I’m pretty confident of that. 

What that doesn't address is the list of players Murray wanted to sign but Potter/Barrowman couldn't (or wouldn't) entice.

9 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Pretty sure it was shaughan who first suggested that name and iv only ever seen it here so it would be surprising. 

It's a shit show after 22 days not having a new manager however the names the board have admitted to or seem to have something behind at least show they are just going to appoint someone without merit, which is encouraging if nothing else. What happens when the next one turns them down though? 

Aye, I must admit, when we jettisoned Ian Murray I presumed we had someone lined up, and someone like Gary Bowyer made a lot of sense. 

What makes less sense, is that for the last two seasons we seem to be signing players who have experience of doing well at this level or the league above, but trying to appoint managers who have none. Very odd. 

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Aye, I must admit, when we jettisoned Ian Murray I presumed we had someone lined up, and someone like Gary Bowyer made a lot of sense. 

What makes less sense, is that for the last two seasons we seem to be signing players who have experience of doing well at this level or the league above, but trying to appoint managers who have none. Very odd. 

You'd have to imagine those with experience at this level either weren't potentially interested (Bowyer) or you're into territory where you infuriate the fans (Fox). At least with someone from Ireland/Northern Ireland you can chase someone from a team who are winning and say "we've gone after someone who's used to being in this situation". 

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

You'd have to imagine those with experience at this level either weren't potentially interested (Bowyer) or you're into territory where you infuriate the fans (Fox). At least with someone from Ireland/Northern Ireland you can chase someone from a team who are winning and say "we've gone after someone who's used to being in this situation". 

I do wonder how much the fickle nature of the fans plays into the decision making. We were talking about it at work last week. Someone like Peter Leven who had a short spell as interim manager at Aberdeen seemed to be widely accepted by the fans but Barry Robson who was in Leven’s shoes but did a good enough job to get the gig full time, finishing 3rd with them, seemed to be one of the ones people turned their nose up at.

11 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What that doesn't address is the list of players Murray wanted to sign but Potter/Barrowman couldn't (or wouldn't) entice.

Well there is that, but that’s very much on the verge of just whataboutery isint it?

What Murray would have known is that from when the new board took over, he would have had to discuss potential targets with John Potter. If he wasn’t happy with the setup up at the start,  surely he would have just left the club on his own accord stating he wouldn’t be tolerating that model?

Edited by Wardy

FFS, the amount of panty pishing and weird theories flying around is absurd, is it really gonna take me trying to be a rational voice?

The BoD and Barrowman/Potter likely made the choice to oust IM as a whole. The acknowledged targets so far have been names with merit. Barrowman likely did a disservice by being optimist in his first interview about a swift appointment, but anyone who thinks it would be better to get a body in at Manager NOW versus getting a good choice in LATER is seriously deluded.

Despite all the moist underwear around here, it is absolutely correct to take the time to do this right. Does this risk a poor start to the season, yes, but last season we started strong and stumbled to the end and nearly made it anyway, so it’s not the end of the world. So far we have three points from three games against what was adjudged to be three of the strongest competitors this season. If we win the next game, we’d be at six points from four matches, and on course for a total that makes the playoffs. Meanwhile, if we lose it, we’re on course for the trapdoor playoff, so that’s how little the early going can matter.

Get a f**king grip people! Patience, let the process play out. Once we have a result, and we can hear what actually occurred, we can do a postmortem/assign blame as necessary. Until then, change your nappies and calm doon.