The New Raith Rovers Thread

My fondness for Dave McGurn grows game after game without him.

Thought we were reasonable today. Some neat passages of play and an absolute cracker from Cardle but we badly need a win to instill belief back in the side.

Good to see Paul Watson back today and even better to see him get through the ninety minutes without, it seems, any problems.

Big game against Morton next week.

The main aim is to keep the ball out the net. Robinson fails at this. Not impressed.

Laidlaw could have been dropped after any one of his keech displays, to stick by him then drop him after a good game was a bit off.

Robinson is certainly nowhere near good enough as was suggested to us, and probably not a great deal better than we already have.

This.

Cardle's goal today is just the third goal we've scored this season from outside the box. One of the others was at home to Alloa; a Cardle cross that Elliot couldn't get a toe to, only for it to creep inside the far post. The other was at Stark's against Queen of the South in November; Elliot drilling the ball across goal when he was a yard or two away from the corner of the box.

Every single one of the twenty three goals we've scored away from home this season have been struck from inside the box.

We're the Ruud van Nistelrooy of Scottish football.

Got to agree with the pelters being dished out to that keeper he should have done better with every goal today.

Looked like he never got.a.hand to the first.

The second he actually made his a frame smaller as he ran out.

Should have stopped the third end off.

Actually glad we're out in a way the team have to put all their efforts into the league

Edited by pub car king

Cardle's goal today is just the third goal we've scored this season from outside the box. One of the others was at home to Alloa; a Cardle cross that Elliot couldn't get a toe to, only for it to creep inside the far post. The other was at Stark's against Queen of the South in November; Elliot drilling the ball across goal when he was a yard or two away from the corner of the box.

Every single one of the twenty three goals we've scored away from home this season have been struck from inside the box.

We're the Ruud van Nistelrooy of Scottish football.

Just to contrast this, I've had a look and we've conceded nine goals from outside the box.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, but the statistics are quite startling. We've scored 57 goals this season, with all but three of them coming from inside the box. We've only conceded 49, but nine of them have been from outside the box.

Do we need to be shooting from further out more often, or do we need to improve our defending in the 18-25 yard area?

My fondness for Dave McGurn grows game after game without him.

Thought we were reasonable today. Some neat passages of play and an absolute cracker from Cardle but we badly need a win to instill belief back in the side.

Good to see Paul Watson back today and even better to see him get through the ninety minutes without, it seems, any problems.

Big game against Morton next week.

Agree, thought Smith played well as the lone front man, some excellent hold up play.

Should have been a change earlier, but I can see why we kept going with a 5 man midfield in the conditions.

An emotional day for me, 1st game at Starks without my dad

I'll post up a proper reasoned argument later, but people have changed their tune on Laidlaw, bloody drastically. He was good in the Hibs game, but before that we looked panicked at the back, and he was directly at fault for goals.

If Robinson had saved the first one today, it would've been a better save than anything Laidlaw managed against Hibs.

He came out for a cross that he didn't get anywhere near today, and might've done better for the third (I'd need to see it again) but every goalkeeper in the world will concede goals like the first two.

Obviously we're conceding far too many goals, but chopping and changing AGAIN isn't going to help that. Now that Watson is back we should be able to name a consistent defensive unit for a few games running.

I actually quite like Laidlaw, I was one of his staunchest champions when Stewart was the alternative, but Robinson is the better goalkeeper, at this moment in time. Laidlaw was directly at fault for more goals in the home game against Cowdenbeath than Robinson has been in the entire time he's been here.

Pissed me had it in for Robinson. Hungover me is of a similar mind. The guy doesn't control his area, looks panicky and doesn't get near shots. His only attribute seems to be his distribution. I fail to see how anyone can think he's a good keeper.

Andy McNeill was picking up back passes and conceding goals to Neil fucking McCann. Robinson is nowhere near that disaster zone.

While in one game yesterday Robinson flapped at a cross, kicked it straight out of the park twice in a row (not even Guido did that) and was beaten at his near post by someone who has such a poor scoring record that his manager and teammates were laughing at the fact he'd scored.

Ginger McNeill.

Embarrassing booze post: I just watched the highlights and, while I may be very, very hungover, it didn't look like Robinson was trying to stop the goals. It's on TV, big betting markets etc. Perhaps I'm just very hungover.

EDIT: I won't remove this since it's quoted anyway but the room was spinning at the time, obviously it wasn't a sensible post. Not a serious accusation. Someone post a Billy Brown strugglin' picture please

EDIT 2: Watched again, got a hand to the first one - I was away with it, sorry all.

Edited by L. Brilliant