The New Raith Rovers Thread

Who are we criticising for the "strength in depth" complaint?

The numbers are up by at least a couple of players (which, given a full squad, would be significant in terms of the options it gives you). If we're now arguing about whether the particular players are actually good enough for the strength in depth to be meaningful then it falls on the manager. Some are using it as a stick with which to have a go at the board.

The board stated that the injuries last season lead to the poor run of form.

Now, the injuries this season are leading to a poor run of form. There is no strength in depth.

If the board are prepared to make statements saying that problems last season will be addressed, and they aren't, then my sympathy is limited.

Who are we criticising for the "strength in depth" complaint?

The numbers are up by at least a couple of players (which, given a full squad, would be significant in terms of the options it gives you). If we're now arguing about whether the particular players are actually good enough for the strength in depth to be meaningful then it falls on the manager. Some are using it as a stick with which to have a go at the board.

The additions on last season are: 1 goalkeeper, 2 central defenders, 1 midfielder.

The deletions are 1 forward. Anyone else?

So we have a midfielder for a forward. I assume the idea was that he could play as a forward/attacking midfielder in emergencies, which isn't a bad plan if the player is capable of this.

We have a new goalkeeper, who on paper is quality, but he's already injured, which is unfortunate.

We've got a new central defender who has never kicked a ball in anger for us, so it's difficult to say whether he'll be a good addition. We also have a panic buy central defender, who is essentially just a body.

In terms of blaming the Board or manager, it's a bit of both. Mainly manager.

Think Murray is here for the season. 14/15 is all about treading water. Just don't drown. It doesn't look like we're going to sink and that's just dandy for the board, and for Murray.

It's a shite state of affairs but as long as we stay up nothing else matters. I don't think the board would take the 'risk' of ditching him either. Next season will be a bit different with Hearts and Rangers replaced with teams like County and St. Mirren. We have to make a challenge, we absolutely have to! Murray couldn't motivate me to shag Shakira and would have probably told the Scottish army to play for the draw at Stirling Bridge. He football and style simply can't sustain or create a promotion challenge. Grudgingly I'll admit his fine for this season but we need somebody who can make/let a team attack and battle for a win next.

If Murray isn't out the door in May I'll not be happy or confident... or surprised.

The additions on last season are: 1 goalkeeper, 2 central defenders, 1 midfielder.

The deletions are 1 forward. Anyone else?

So we have a midfielder for a forward.

That misses the point, a bit. Signings in the latter part of the summer had to be made in the light on injuries that had already occurred. But for that, Perry's wage would have been freed up to strengthen elsewhere. (I don't know how close we were to signing Archie Campbell, but he was one possibility.)

What concerns me the most is an outright lack of progress. Since Murray took over we've scored less goals, conceded more and won less points than we did under McGlynn. And until this season the league was weaker than it was under McGlynn too. He's had two and a half years and he still, it seems, doesn't have a team that's any use at all.

Over the last 36 games Cowdenbeath have performed better than us. Cowdenbeath! Dumbarton who must have less than half of our budget have outscored us by 15 points. This is club is under achieving massively. We have a significantly bigger budget than Cowdenbeath, Alloa and Dumbarton. And bigger than Livingston. Yet we're performing at the same level as Cowden and Alloa and being vastly outperformed by Dumbarton and Livingston.

There is no reason whatsoever for Murray to remain in a job. He hasn't shown one sign he can turn this around. We're haemorrhaging supporters, those that do go are going because they bought an excellent value season ticket, but how many will renew in the summer if Murray is still in charge? I know I won't, and then the temptation is to pick and choose games.

Off the field the club is finally being proactive in its attempts to move forward. But why bother when the team on the park isn't just stagnating, it's actively going backwards and performing worse than part-time teams with significantly lower budgets?

That misses the point, a bit. Signings in the latter part of the summer had to be made in the light on injuries that had already occurred. But for that, Perry's wage would have been freed up to strengthen elsewhere. (I don't know how close we were to signing Archie Campbell, but he was one possibility.)

You use the plural 'signings'. Other than Perry, what signings were made? From memory he was the only panic buy.

What bit of the point am I missing? The point I was trying to make is that I don't see much evidence that the squad has been adequately strengthened. Adequately being the key word here.

How many injuries do we have? Two forwards out and we're knackered. One of those have effectively been 'out' since last Christmas, for all the good he's been.

What bit of the point am I missing? The point I was trying to make is that I don't see much evidence that the squad has been adequately strengthened. Adequately being the key word here.

Well that comes back to the question I was asking then, doesn't it? Who are you blaming for this?

The board have backed Murray, and they have given him the finances for a bigger squad. I know when a team isn't doing well the criticism starts being thrown around at everyone, but I don't see any grounds to criticise the board here.

You're one of the pinbrains on here who ridiculed those who had Murray sussed long ago. Now you try to make out you've still some credibility by ridiculing it being pointed out.

Yes, how fucking stupid of you.

incoming

Yeah he signed a 2 year extension at the end of last year to take him to May 2016

fukin hell

Think Murray is here for the season. 14/15 is all about treading water. Just don't drown. It doesn't look like we're going to sink and that's just dandy for the board, and for Murray.

hold,we havent reached the end of nov start of december yet when were prone to plummeting,plenty time to sink

Well that comes back to the question I was asking then, doesn't it? Who are you blaming for this?

The board have backed Murray, and they have given him the finances for a bigger squad. I know when a team isn't doing well the criticism starts being thrown around at everyone, but I don't see any grounds to criticise the board here.

Of course there is. The board said lessons have been learned from last season, they clearly haven't.

Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on in football. Especially for managers.

Financially they are. The football world is pretty strict on paying up contracts.

Of course there is. The board said lessons have been learned from last season, they clearly haven't.

Because the team isn't playing well? What lessons should the board have learned that they haven't?

See Post #19209 above.

What lessons should the board have learned that they haven't?

That they haven't adequately dealt with the issue of strength in depth. Or rather the manager hasn't, if he's had suitable financial backing from the board.

Either way, there's no reason to panic just yet. We're not very good to watch but we are still regularly picking up points. Just need a few more home wins to get fans back onside.

That they haven't adequately dealt with the issue of strength in depth. Or rather the manager hasn't, if he's had suitable financial backing from the board.

Either way, there's no reason to panic just yet. We're not very good to watch but we are still regularly picking up points. Just need a few more home wins to get fans back onside.

There's 2 things the board have to consider, points and performances.

Fans will come if we are successful even if the football on show isn't great. However if we are picking up the odd points against Alloa, Cowden and Livi, playing like we are, with the aim of simply surviving and finishing 6th, 7th or 8th, fans will simply not come. And those who do show up will struggle to accept it as is being shown on here.

We are down to the hardcore 1400 or 1500 and I don't see anything being done, on or off pitch, to help increase that number.

Edited by Ding Dang Doo

We are down to the hardcore 1400 or 1500 and I don't see anything being done, on or off pitch, to help increase that number.

Reduced admission yesterday, and a kids club with 300 members, don't let that get in the way of a rant.

As for a hardcore it'd put it at 1,200

Edited by Whistle Blower

What things like making yesterday a family day or getting half price entry through a radio station. That's actively doing something off the pitch too try and get fans in.

I think we're about 95% in favour of Murray going now but for as long as were mid table he's going nowhere.

Reduced admission yesterday, and a kids club with 300 members, don't let that get in the way of a rant.

As for a hardcore it'd put it at 1,200

Agree the core support is between 1100 and 1200.

The club holds it's first "family day" since I've been a fan (over 30 years) and still folk say the club are doing nothing. Some people you can't win with