Who's Going To Uni?

Has this changed recently? My mate did a BSc in Physics then a MSc in computers something... Anyway he was funded by SAAS for his Masters degree. I think it only available if you have had 4 or less years previous funding, this was 4 years ago though.

My original degree was MEng Electric and Electronic Engineering with a dip. in management and was to be fully SAAS funded.

That was in 2002 though (f**k I'm getting old!)

Edited by Hedgecutter

I know SAAS don't fund Masters degrees but companies might if you agree to work for them after you've finished it. Might be worth a shot.

They funded my PgDip, just had to pay a few hundred if I wanted to write the Masters dissertation.

All of the total saps on my course are buying textbooks for 42 quid.

I got mine 2nd hand on Amazon for 8. 8)

Good shout---as long as its the right edition. Its a right pain in the arse if the lectures/tutorials/assignments say "see sections 5.4 to 5.8 of..." or "read chapters 3,4,5 of..." or "see pages 45 through 58" and you have the wrong edition!

Anyone know if you can still apply for travel expenses through SAAS? Looked on their site and saw nothing.

Cheers.

Never agreed with travel expenses. Is this from SAAS or added to your loan or whatever? If it's the first, anything outside of uni is your own responsibility IMO. Self-proclaimed independent teenagers taking washing 100 miles away on the train to get washed at mummy's is also another of my many pet hates, although student halls see shitty token operated washing machines as a way off making profit which is nothing less than scandalous.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Never agreed with travel expenses. Is this from SAAS or added to your loan or whatever? If it's the first, anything outside of uni is your own responsibility IMO. Folk taking washing 100 miles away on the train to get washed at mummy's is also another pet hate, although student halls see shitty token operated washing machines as a way off making profit which is nothing less than scandalous.

it was from saas. there was so much that you had to pay yourself (around £400 i think) and then after that saas would pay quite a lot of the rest.

it was from saas. there was so much that you had to pay yourself (around £400 i think) and then after that saas would pay quite a lot of the rest.

No doubt my brother has managed to swindle this somehow. As a student at Aberdeen uni, he was always making train trips 'home' every second week to East End Park before firing up north again at full time.

Anyone know if you can still apply for travel expenses through SAAS? Looked on their site and saw nothing.

Cheers.

Assuming you mean this years travel expenses then you need to wait till january, then you can apply for the years expenses. You need to pay the first £159, at least thats what it was last year, and then SAAS pay the rest.

Assuming you mean this years travel expenses then you need to wait till january, then you can apply for the years expenses. You need to pay the first £159, at least thats what it was last year, and then SAAS pay the rest.

You can't claim for travel expenses this year, SAAS have stopped it.

Right, SAAS still havent got back to me to let me know what loan/bursary i'm getting this year (nor have they given me my award letter) and on the website it just says my application is "in progress". I tried to call them and when I eventually got through to someone they told me I had to just "sit tight" and they would get round to it. Ive been "sitting tight" for over a month now and still not heard anything. I notice earlier in the thread someone said they went along to the offices and it was sorted there and then? Was a similar issue to what i'm facing right now? I cant really afford to sit tight for any longer, i'm depending on this money to live off of!

Right, SAAS still havent got back to me to let me know what loan/bursary i'm getting this year (nor have they given me my award letter) and on the website it just says my application is "in progress". I tried to call them and when I eventually got through to someone they told me I had to just "sit tight" and they would get round to it. Ive been "sitting tight" for over a month now and still not heard anything. I notice earlier in the thread someone said they went along to the offices and it was sorted there and then? Was a similar issue to what i'm facing right now? I cant really afford to sit tight for any longer, i'm depending on this money to live off of!

I never put a 0 in the box for self employment so my son is getting a grand total of £60 a month,I now have send in another form and wait until they sort it out.