Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Interesting fortnight. Two weeks ago Hawkwind at Newcastle.  Still showing they have got it and a superb performance from Dave Brock after a short illness and despite his advancing years. A great mix of old and new with some of the old stuff not heard for years. Possibly the last time they will tour due to health and age.

Last night Andre Rieu at the Hydro.  Wife wanted to see him so as she had accompanied me to Hawkwind felt needed to repay the gesture.  Was not disappointed by the show. Some incredible singers and musicians with a couple of outstanding moments, one of which is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIhq1tb8Co

Edited by Hard Graft

Just booked a ticket to see Cherie Currie, of The Runaways, at Beat Generator in Dundee later this year.

I gotta admit, that's not somebody that I ever imagined would be playing a small venue in Dundee.

It'll be interesting to see if she still has it.. or if it will just be a 65 year old woman stomping around on stage.

The Warning were as excellent as expected on Tuesday. Cannot see them playing The Garage again, maybe up to the Barras or an Academy next tour. Good support from Conquer Divide if you like a bit of female duel-vocallist screaming.

A few others for this year, bought Keane tickets for August, Escape The Fate just announced for July, and aforementioned Conquer Divide are supporting New Years Day that my sister wants me to go to with her.

Next for me is Tenacious D at the Hydro and Twin Atlantic at the Academy, both in May.

Anthony Gomes in Bannerman's Edinburgh last Sunday. Went along because a mate wanted to, and had an awesome night. Fantastic Blues Rock guitarist and some really catchy hooks and riffs in most of his songs. Think the capacity was about 150-200 and it was rammed, and I mean rammed, the only thing that spoiled it for me was the chatting in amongst the crowd, I just don't get people who do this.........it's happening more and more at gigs I go to, and I'm actually getting to the point where it's putting me off going.

AG.jpg

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Anthony Gomes in Bannerman's Edinburgh last Sunday. Went along because a mate wanted to, and had an awesome night. Fantastic Blues Rock guitarist and some really catchy hooks and riffs in most of his songs. Think the capacity was about 150-200 and it was rammed, and I mean rammed, the only thing that spoiled it for me was the chatting in amongst the crowd, I just don't get people who do this.........it's happening more and more at gigs I go to, and I'm actually getting to the point where it's putting me off going.

AG.jpg

The chatting during the two support acts at Soapbox on Friday was the worst I've ever heard. Was genuinely difficult to watch the bands. Thankfully it calmed down for the headliners, but that's the first time I've actually be taken out of the show by it. I just don't understand it at all, especially in Tut's when you could quite happily sit downstairs and chat til your heart's content/.

May gigs:

Sunday 4th May: Hamish Hawk, Anthony Szmierek, Benefits, Deadletter, Fat Dog and heaps of others: (Stag and Dagger Festival (Various venues in Glasgow all day))
Wednesday 8th May: Baxter Dury (Usher Hall)
Friday 10th May: Arab Strap (Mono)
Saturday 11th May: Camera Obscura (Barrowlands)
Sunday 12th May: Hurrah for the Riff Raff (SWG3)
Saturday 18th May: English Teacher (King Tuts)
Wednesday 22nd May: Wedding Present (Aberdeen Lemon Tree)
Saturday 25th May: Jockstrap, The Bug Club, Kaeto, Wunderhorse and heaps of others (Dot to Dot Festival (Various venues in Bristol all day)

June Gigs (not many gigs due to Euros 2024 which didn't have any bands I like):

Tuesday 11th June: Beth Gibbons (Usher Hall)
Saturday 29th June: Mogwai, Nadine Shah, Beak, Kathryn Joseph, Bdrmm, Cloth, Goat Girl, Sacred Paws and a few others (Big City 2004 at Queens Park Recreation Ground) - won't make this if Scotland qualifies 

Swim School at St Luke’s on May 1st were sensational. Young kids from Edinburgh, they’re going places. Alice Johnson, who fronts the band is a star in the making. Was a special night, they’re the real deal.

27 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I saw James in Dundee last year.

They were excellent.

Don't be anxious about going alone. I do it all the time.

Anxiety is my super power (apparently on tictok all these things are now awesome to have!)

On 04/05/2024 at 11:43, RH33 said:

Booked for

James and Pink in June.

Going to James myself, taking plunge.

I go to gigs alone all the time, I know its probably a bit easier for a guy, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

When Rivers Meet @ St.Lukes on Friday night, absolutely awesome night. It’s the third time they have come to Glasgow and they have got better every time. The 4th album is being recorded next month, if you haven’t seen them then get along next time!!

@RH33- I go along to 99% of the gigs myself, there’s nothing wrong with that mate. I actually prefer it these days, you can just please yourself

IMG_2063.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 13:55, betting competition said:

May gigs:

Sunday 4th May: Hamish Hawk, Anthony Szmierek, Benefits, Deadletter, Fat Dog and heaps of others: (Stag and Dagger Festival (Various venues in Glasgow all day))

Caught F.O. Machete, Deadletter, Benefits, Fever,. Best bands for me were The Frowns and Girls Speak French at Danssa. Need to do more research for Tenement Trail in October.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Caught F.O. Machete, Deadletter, Benefits, Fever,. Best bands for me were The Frowns and Girls Speak French at Danssa. Need to do more research for Tenement Trail in October.

Managed to see FO Machete, Automotion, The Plastic Youth, Deadletter, Soapbox, Trout, Fat Dog, and Anthony Szmierek. Unfortunately, a few acts cancelled, which I only found out upon arrival (better communication through updates on the scanned QR code would have helped). Two standout moments for me were Fat Dog's energetic performance and Anthony Szmierek's including fantastic cover of Happy Mondays and Sugababes songs. Dannsa was quiet when I attended, with hardly anyone there. 

Edited by betting competition