Gigs

pilsner_ffc

On 14/08/2023 at 20:54, GrahamJags said:

Going down to London for Boygenius on Sunday which should be a good day out, with Muna, Ethel Cain and Soak supporting. Saw that Cory Hanson is playing the Moth Club on Saturday too, so I’m happy that I’ll get to see him tour his solo stuff since there’s no Scottish date. 

The Moth Club when jam packed could be the hottest venue on earth. Core of the sun levels of boiling.

22 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The Moth Club when jam packed could be the hottest venue on earth. Core of the sun levels of boiling.

Wasn’t quite full last night, but still roasting. Some gig though. 

11 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Be Your Own Pet at Broadcast tomorrow night. Should be a good one, I'm preparing to be a sweaty mess.

Would’ve been at this if I was in Glasgow. Gutted to be missing them.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Going to the Killers on Tuesday, anyone know what time Johnny Marr will start?

I'm going to that too. No idea of any times though.

At a guess, Killers will start around 9. Say maybe half an hour for turnover so Johnny will finish around 8.30. 45 or at most an hour set so I'd say somewhere around 7.30ish, give or take.

Personally, I'll be there from stupid o clock in the morning and still have a good few in front. Killers fans are mental.

Tremendous show tonight from Chinese Football. Their first ever time in Glasgow, crowd about a 50/50 split between locals and the Glasgow Chinese community. Don't understand a word they're singing, but bloody fantastic regardless. Crowd ate up every second.

Support from The Rarely Social and Dying Giant, both very good.

20230824_212319.jpg

Due to illness I ended up with a free ticket to see The Drifters in Lanark Memorial Hall last night. Wasn't expecting much and they're not my usual cup of tea, but, what a show they put on! Turns out I know a lot more Drifters songs than I thought

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Torridon at Drygate in Glasgow tonight. Superb!! Quite possibly the best (current) Scottish band that you’ve probably never heard of.

IMG_5306.jpeg

I know Taffy Evans well.  Absolute stand up bloke. 

Spent Sunday at Connect Festival at the Royal Highland Centre. Fantastic day, saw as much music as I could pack in.

Samuel Nicholson - Really enjoyable psychedelic rock and a great way to kick off the day.

Christian Lee Hutson - Was a nice wee acoustic folk rock set, then he brought out Phoebe Bridgers for the last three songs and the crowd quadrupled in size. They've toured together before, so it made sense, but was a nice surprise. 

Quiet Houses - Pleasant Scottish acoustic duo.

Billie Marten - Quite an enjoyable set, quiet indie rock. Good voice.

Lightning Seeds - Absolutely fantastic. I'd forgotten just how many gems they have in their back catalogue. Major nostalgia. 

Public Service Broadcasting - Intensely weird, but in a good way. Enjoyable way to spend 45 minutes.

Panic Shack - Female punk from Cardiff. Superb. Relatable songs, loads of energy, will see again.

Raye - Only watched about ten minutes. Not really my thing, but she can definitely sing.

Beth Orton - Dark, brooding indie. Pretty good.

boygenius - The main reason I was there. Blown away. So much talent. Incredible set.

Arab Strap - great way to finish the day. Closing my festival with The First Big Weekend doesn't get much better.

All in all a great day, and home at a reasonable time for work tomorrow!

20230827_193633.jpg

12 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Spent Sunday at Connect Festival at the Royal Highland Centre. Fantastic day, saw as much music as I could pack in.

Samuel Nicholson - Really enjoyable psychedelic rock and a great way to kick off the day.

Christian Lee Hutson - Was a nice wee acoustic folk rock set, then he brought out Phoebe Bridgers for the last three songs and the crowd quadrupled in size. They've toured together before, so it made sense, but was a nice surprise. 

Quiet Houses - Pleasant Scottish acoustic duo.

Billie Marten - Quite an enjoyable set, quiet indie rock. Good voice.

Lightning Seeds - Absolutely fantastic. I'd forgotten just how many gems they have in their back catalogue. Major nostalgia. 

Public Service Broadcasting - Intensely weird, but in a good way. Enjoyable way to spend 45 minutes.

Panic Shack - Female punk from Cardiff. Superb. Relatable songs, loads of energy, will see again.

Raye - Only watched about ten minutes. Not really my thing, but she can definitely sing.

Beth Orton - Dark, brooding indie. Pretty good.

boygenius - The main reason I was there. Blown away. So much talent. Incredible set.

Arab Strap - great way to finish the day. Closing my festival with The First Big Weekend doesn't get much better.

All in all a great day, and home at a reasonable time for work tomorrow!

20230827_193633.jpg

Big group of us were at this all weekend. Really great fun, festival is such a good atmosphere in comparison to something like TRNSMT. I think the average age is around 30 vs TRNSMT being about 18 so basically no wee bams kicking about, everyone just having a great time. 

Future Islands - good set, lead singer is good energy on the stage

Confidence Man - absolutely phenomenal, if you've never seen these guys live I'd encourage everyone to give them a go. What a show.

Franz Ferdinand - only caught 15-20 minutes of them but they sounded really good

Primal Scream - excellent, you know what you're getting.

Free Love - nice start to the day, ended up right down the front, quite quiet as it was the opener but lead singer was a lot of fun
Biig Piig - really enjoyed this. This kicked the day up a notch or two. Will be listening to her a lot this week. 
Kelly Lee Owens - pals wanted to see this, wasn't really for me, used this as my food break. 
MUNA - absolutely loved this, had been listening to them a lot in the build up but they were fantastic. 

Joy (Anonymous) - this was at unknown pleasures, was just a good way to perk ourselves up as not everyone we were with liked MUNA. Having that wee stage playing dance tunes at the entrance is class.

Young Fathers - didn't listen to them much before we went but they were brilliant. Will start to pick them up from now on.

Fred Again - absolutely brilliant to me, few of my pals were a bit underwhelmed. Very, very phone heavy though, often difficult to see the stage because of people holding phones.

We went in a bit later on the Sunday 

Public Service Broadcasting - very very cool.

Raye - not really my jam but as you say, very talented

Boy Genius - phenomenal. Their voices compliment each other so, so well. Julien Baker is the one. Was a wee bit sad there was no Modern Leper cover but they're massive as a group in their own right and the gig wasn't just for me I guess!

Loyle Carner - pleasantly surprised by this, spotify listening I thought his vibe was quite mellow but much better live.

Overall a great weekend. Still think the logistics in certain areas can be better and a few folk commented on Guitar and other machines stage / unknown pleasures being on a hill isn't ideal. Hopefully it's on again next year but I think I'll wait for the line up before doing the whole weekend again. 

On 23/08/2023 at 17:43, Empty It said:

Going to the Killers on Tuesday, anyone know what time Johnny Marr will start?

Gigs In Scotland posted an update on their twitter, approximately and subject to change etc...
Gates - 5pm
Johnny Marr - 18.50
The Killers - 20.35
Show ends - 22.30

Looks like I'll be getting there around 7am lol.

Anyone been to a stand alone gig at Royal Highland Showgrounds before? Obviously just been there for Connect as above but going back on Thursday for Paolo. I'm just gonna drive and have bought the parking ticket but I'm not sure whether it might be better to park at Ingliston P&R or elsewhere? 

Not me personally @Big Fifer, but I share an office with a lad that went to see Madness there last year and said he had no bother parking at Ingliston P&R. My wife has taken the car to Hot Dub Time Machine the past 3 years and has also had no problem parking, so would say that you'd be ok.

Was at All Points East on Friday night. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs set was very decent and The Sttokes were great - a fantastic set but the sound was awful where we initially were but improved when we moved. Genuinely disappointing as no other stage on the day had those issues so for the main stage to have issues like that was appalling.