Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not one of these who hates Friends (some folk love to slate it) and I really enjoy it, but it isn't even the best laughter track sitcom: that goes to Father Ted.

My favourite sitcoms are laughter track free as it takes a lot more thought to get a genuine laugh A laughter track can cover for poor comedic writing really well. Watch the clip attached. No laughter track makes it a very different show entirely. Friends is easy viewing and the LT ensures you get a good few giggles but even objectively speaking it's nowhere near the best sitcom of all time.

If they were out getting so wrecked last night they can't even remember getting married, how come they're down for breakfast all fresh and bubbly?

Always hated that show, the audience must have had electrodes up their arses for laughter cues.

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was indeed filmed in front of a live studio audience for the most part. My point still stands though. You can find a similar video with it removed from The Big Bang Theory.

Your point doesn’t stand. It’s not a laugh track sitcom. 

Your point doesn’t stand. It’s not a laugh track sitcom. 
Why are you being pedantic? The point is it relies on the audience laughter to prompt the viewer to laugh. Without it you see it really isn't as funny as it's made out to be.

Benedict Wong was in Fifteen Storeys High? I keep hearing about how good that was, but I'm definitely watching it now.

I wouldn't argue against Frasier being the best sitcom of all time. I really might have to expose the wean to that sometime soon. I see it hasn't had a Blu-Ray widescreen re-edit like Friends  :(

There was a video of Two and a Half Men without the laugh track going about a while ago. Turned it into a chilling meditation on the pointlessness of life. Probably not much different to the original edit TBF.

On 22/08/2020 at 13:38, MixuFruit said:

Me in Stornoway for the first time, in a butchers, excitedly: Give me your biggest black pudding

*Butcher hefts a 3 foot long black pudding onto the counter Kenneth Williams dot jpg*

Me: That's too big.

LinearInfatuatedAvocet-size_restricted.gif.13bea6a7a2e5670e0b893e237c1f567e.gif

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The episodes in Frasier with Daphne’s family were terrible. Similarly the Friends episodes with Emily and London were terrible.

What was it with mid-90s US comedies making the British out to be horrible people?

That is true. Does The Simpsons not also have form for setting episodes in foreign countries that just come across as bizarrely prejudiced?

A lot of Americans have very strange ideas about the world, so it's low-hanging fruit for comedy writers. We just get it tight because we're English-speaking and they're more familiar with us than anywhere other than Canada, whom they also have very odd ideas about. I doubt people in Britain are particularly knowledgeable about the rest of the world, but the US is in a league of its own for global ignorance.

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That is true. Does The Simpsons not also have form for setting episodes in foreign countries that just come across as bizarrely prejudiced?

A lot of Americans have very strange ideas about the world, so it's low-hanging fruit for comedy writers. We just get it tight because we're English-speaking and they're more familiar with us than anywhere other than Canada, whom they also have very odd ideas about. I doubt people in Britain are particularly knowledgeable about the rest of the world, but the US is in a league of its own for global ignorance.

Disparaging the boot is a bootable offence, it's one of their proudest traditions.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Disparaging the boot is a bootable offence, it's one of their proudest traditions.

I get the impression Canadians look at the regular stream of Americans getting into arranged marriages with kindly Canuck mates in order to gain access to affordable healthcare and just think, aye, we're not doing too badly. Do your worst.

24 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I love 15 storeys high. Hardly anyone seems to have seen it.

That's presumably why it didn't get much of a run.

It's been on my list since Charlie Brooker waxed lyrical about it on Screenwipe, and plenty of people whose opinions I respect have recommended it also. Slightly worried in case it's a massive letdown now  :lol:

12 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Mackies crisps are utter dug shite. Too oily, just fucking rank. Kettle chips are far superior. 

Not a fan of Mackies either, but Kettle Chips are rank. Far too hard and crispy :thumbsdown

Walkers are shite as well.

Tyrells I don't mind, but the best crisps by far are still Golden Wonder. Like bloody hens teeth trying to find them though.

On 22/08/2020 at 14:07, pandarilla said:

There's a perfect balance of heat needed. Too hot and you've dried it to f**k, and not enough heat and you won't get the crispness that the fat deserves.

You make small cuts in the fat. 

HTH. 

52 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Not a fan of Mackies either, but Kettle Chips are rank. Far too hard and crispy :thumbsdown

Walkers are shite as well.

Tyrells I don't mind, but the best crisps by far are still Golden Wonder. Like bloody hens teeth trying to find them though.

Golden Wonder crisps are shocking mate. Genuinely taste like Asda own brand. 

43 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Golden Wonder crisps are shocking mate. Genuinely taste like Asda own brand. 

Stop wearing the hula hoops on your fingers and have a word ffs. 

GW pickled onion flavour are one of the finest crisps known to man. Award winning. An absolute delicacy.

25 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Stop wearing the hula hoops on your fingers and have a word ffs. 

GW pickled onion flavour are one of the finest crisps known to man. Award winning. An absolute delicacy.

Golden Wonder is shite - hence why it went into administration. Terrible crisps for terrible people.

I've never denied being a terrible person, but you are totally wrong about the crisps. GW are one of the few brands where the crisps are recognisable as once having been a potato. What the hell Walkers do to achieve their 'sludgy, uniform, vaguely potato'ish' "crisps" is a mystery.