Unpopular opinions.

The office is absolutely in the category of classic british comedy. Pretty much everything Gervais has done since (extras just about gets a pass) has been boring unfunny dog dirt
^^^ Hasn't watched After Life type post.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
The office is absolutely in the category of classic british comedy. Pretty much everything Gervais has done since (extras just about gets a pass) has been boring unfunny dog dirt

^^^ Hasn't watched After Life type post.

I have, it's absolutely dreadful

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

55 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Quite simply, wrong.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
I have, it's absolutely dreadful

It really isn't.

It really is, see we can do this all day can't we? After Life is only remarkable because it combines the two forms of desperation which have largely defined his career outwith the office:

A desperation to have mass appeal by cramming as much sentimentality into whatever he makes as possible 

A desperation to be taken seriously as a "thinker," and show he doesn't give a shit about offending people.

The fact he creates a plot device (dead wife) to justify both those things in After Life is admittedly quite clever. 

I have no problem at all saying that almost everything he has made since extras wouldn't have gotten out of the pitch meeting if his name wasn't attached to it. Case in point his toe curlingly bad films. Sorry 

16 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It really is, see we can do this all day can't we? After Life is only remarkable because it combines the two forms of desperation which have largely defined his career outwith the office:

A desperation to have mass appeal by cramming as much sentimentality into whatever he makes as possible 

A desperation to be taken seriously as a "thinker," and show he doesn't give a shit about offending people.

The fact he creates a plot device (dead wife) to justify both those things in After Life is admittedly quite clever. 

I have no problem at all saying that almost everything he has made since extras wouldn't have gotten out of the pitch meeting if his name wasn't attached to it. Case in point his toe curlingly bad films. Sorry 

His films are bad. No argument there.

But I suspect the fact his name is attached to his work influences your opinion on him, based on the above.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

His films are bad. No argument there.

But I suspect the fact his name is attached to his work influences your opinion on him, based on the above.

And based on your "Quite simply wrong" before conceding his films are bad, I would suspect the same.

If someone wants to set themself up as an auteur (which Gervais has) then people consider their work as a body as well as individually. Once you see the patterns in which they work it's hard not to notice them.

I look forward to his next project where an unlikeable person who says horrible things to people is redeemed because the script says so, it'll be a big shock for the viewers I'm sure. Perhaps a put upon woman will get her just rewards for putting up with his awful male characters, that would be nice and again very surprising.

Yet to see any of you lads saying why you actually like his work btw, nor actually challenge any of the points I've made. What do you find funny about Derek, specifically? Outside of the one good Liam Neeson sketch, what were the high points of *checks notes* Life's Too Short? Do you enjoy his OUTRAGEOUS! stand up? Is telling your mate to act as stupid as possible and pissing yourself laughing on a podcast really that funny? Help me understand

My biggest issue with Gervais is his constant shoe horning of religion bashing into his work. It’s just lazy and Is there to demonstrate his (perceived) superiority to religious folk. After Life has quite a few examples of this where it adds absolutely nothing to the plot. We all get it Ricky, you’re a staunch atheist and religion is stupid. I say this as someone who is not in the slightest religious also. 

20 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

And based on your "Quite simply wrong" before conceding his films are bad, I would suspect the same.

If someone wants to set themself up as an auteur (which Gervais has) then people consider their work as a body as well as individually. Once you see the patterns in which they work it's hard not to notice them.

I look forward to his next project where an unlikeable person who says horrible things to people is redeemed because the script says so, it'll be a big shock for the viewers I'm sure. Perhaps a put upon woman will get her just rewards for putting up with his awful male characters, that would be nice and again very surprising.

Yet to see any of you lads saying why you actually like his work btw, nor actually challenge any of the points I've made. What do you find funny about Derek, specifically? Outside of the one good Liam Neeson sketch, what were the high points of *checks notes* Life's Too Short? Do you enjoy his OUTRAGEOUS! stand up? Is telling your mate to act as stupid as possible and pissing yourself laughing on a podcast really that funny? Help me understand

I'm happy to critique his overall body of work and happy to point out his flaws, as he has plenty. Just because there is a relatively predictable curve to his work doesn't make it shite. Quite simply wrong was in response to you saying other than maybe extras, he has done nothing else.

Criticisms:

- films shite and a clear attempt to break America

- Derek was shite

- He isn't too versatile in characters he acts, it's usually some version of himself. Don't like his tendency to include his own opinions in everything (e.g. in After Life bits about atheism)

- Jokes from his stand up recycled in after life

- I have no issue with his 'offensiveness' but dislike how much he tells people he will be offensive

Praise:

- I'd go further than you, extras is outstanding

- I enjoyed an idiot abroad and the podcasts, it involves some cheap laughs but I'm fine with that

- After Life is excellent. It's funny and moving, having battled depression myself it definitely struck a chord.

- His stand up is hit and miss, mostly average but I did very much enjoy Humanity.

Again, it's fair to say that you just don't like the guy and it heavily influences your views of his shows.

ETA - that's not even that bad a thing. I can confidently say I will never like anything that, say, Harry Styles ever, ever releases, and that is 100% because of my perception of him.

Edited by Dons_1988

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm happy to critique his overall body of work and happy to point out his flaws, as he has plenty. Just because there is a relatively predictable curve to his work doesn't make it shite. Quite simply wrong was in response to you saying other than maybe extras, he has done nothing else.

Criticisms:

- films shite and a clear attempt to break America

- Derek was shite

- He isn't too versatile in characters he acts, it's usually some version of himself. Don't like his tendency to include his own opinions in everything (e.g. in After Life bits about atheism)

- Jokes from his stand up recycled in after life

- I have no issue with his 'offensiveness' but dislike how much he tells people he will be offensive

Praise:

- I'd go further than you, extras is outstanding

- I enjoyed an idiot abroad and the podcasts, it involves some cheap laughs but I'm fine with that

- After Life is excellent. It's funny and moving, having battled depression myself it definitely struck a chord.

- His stand up is hit and miss, mostly average but I did very much enjoy Humanity.

Again, it's fair to say that you just don't like the guy and it heavily influences your views of his shows.

I'm afraid it's the other way round, he seems like a nice enough guy and by all accounts does a good amount of work for charity. Most folk who've worked with him seem to like him (although Stephen Merchant seems to have abruptly stopped working with him but maybe just a coincidence) and on some interviews I've heard with him he's very entertaining, his tedious free speech/atheism schtick only comes out when the interviewer directly addresses it. Plus he made the office and by extension is responsible for the American Office so I'll always give everything he makes a go.

The problem is, it's not felt worthwhile giving any of them a go since. I was young when extras came out, maybe watching it again would make me like it more but my memory is the only good jokes are to do with celebrities behaving in unexpected ways.

Other than that, you seem to agree that he is lazy and recycles his material, and that his standup is hit and miss. So After Life is the only thing we really disagree on and I'm sorry but I don't find it funny, and I think having also suffered depression it's highly cynical. 

4 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'm afraid it's the other way round, he seems like a nice enough guy and by all accounts does a good amount of work for charity. Most folk who've worked with him seem to like him (although Stephen Merchant seems to have abruptly stopped working with him but maybe just a coincidence) and on some interviews I've heard with him he's very entertaining, his tedious free speech/atheism schtick only comes out when the interviewer directly addresses it. Plus he made the office and by extension is responsible for the American Office so I'll always give everything he makes a go.

The problem is, it's not felt worthwhile giving any of them a go since. I was young when extras came out, maybe watching it again would make me like it more but my memory is the only good jokes are to do with celebrities behaving in unexpected ways.

Other than that, you seem to agree that he is lazy and recycles his material, and that his standup is hit and miss. So After Life is the only thing we really disagree on and I'm sorry but I don't find it funny, and I think having also suffered depression it's highly cynical. 

Fair enough, then. We just disagree on a few things so not worth arguing.

To address the bolded, you're slightly twisting it to say I think he's lazy. I'm saying he is occasionally guilty of recycling material. I'd suggest most comedians are guilty of that anyway.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fair enough, then. We just disagree on a few things so not worth arguing.

To address the bolded, you're slightly twisting it to say I think he's lazy. I'm saying he is occasionally guilty of recycling material. I'd suggest most comedians are guilty of that anyway.

I'll concede that, misunderstood as opposed to deliberately twisted tbf. Aye I've no problem with people liking him and a lot of the reasons I dislike his work are things other people won't notice or actually like. Just not a fan of the blanket "you're wrong" argument which I know was tongue in cheek

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'll concede that, misunderstood as opposed to deliberately twisted tbf. Aye I've no problem with people liking him and a lot of the reasons I dislike his work are things other people won't notice or actually like. Just not a fan of the blanket "you're wrong" argument which I know was tongue in cheek

Kiss and makeup?

41 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I enjoyed Frankie Boyle's opinion on watching Gervais' stand up. 

"i felt like Fred Astaire watching a man in calipers falling down an escalator" 

I hope people aren't counting night at the museum as a Gervais film because it's class. 

He's been an annoying c**t since that sunday programme he was on with iain lee and Ali g but he is intermittently funny. May give after life  a go.