Unpopular opinions.

12 hours ago, milton75 said:

Avoiding chip shops is a lot easier since I moved to Bishopbriggs anyway, as they are uniformly appalling here. 

Frank's used to be excellent, but it few years back it went from excellent to shambolic almost overnight

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Am I right in thinking that you live in Germany?

I once got fish and chips from one of those Nord See restaurants they have there. It was fucking rank. Possibly the worst meal that I have ever paid for.

Marini's in Dundee do a "crunchy box", where you get a pizza crunch, a battered burger, a jumbo sausage, chips and curry sauce for about a tenner.

It is good.

Never EVER get anything listed as "fish & chips" in Germany.

The "fish" will be some deep-frozen battered shite, the "chips" will be Pommes, ie French Fries, a la the crap you get from McDonalds.

The worst fish and chips you will ever get are in Rep of Ireland.

The boy goes in at 10am and batters/part cooks everything and then puts it in a fridge or worse leaves it in the window box above the frier all day so when you go in at night its sitting there 10+ hours. You can peel the batter like a banana. They dont see anything wrong with this because its apparently "the traditional way"

And dont even bother asking for brown sauce.

Chips are nice but. 

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The vast majority of chip shop chips are rank. 

c.30 years ago in my first grown up job my first inspection was a chip shop on Cross Arthurlie Street in Barrhead. 

While I have since succumbed to the very occasional supper when nothing else has been available they are not somewhere I go looking for food. I’m sure food hygiene standards will have improved over the period but it’s a risk I’m still not comfortable with. 

Chip shop chips when they're fresh made are simply incredible.

Best fried fash I ever had was in Nairn. Chips were reheats, so weren't great.

I had a haggis supper in Leith on Hogmanay about 15 years ago and I still think about it. One of my top 5 gustatory experiences.

For a coastal place Aberdeen isn't well served with chippers. The Dolphin is decent, but we should really be aiming for Anstruther levels of chippery, rather than being merely a level above Glasgow. I'll bring it up at the next hustings.

Must be 15 years since I had a chipper tea/supper - white pudding / haggis / mock chop / jumbo sausage supper and a pickled onion would be my choice. Beans don't belong on the same plate as a chipper meal IMHO, the batter doesn't work with the sauce.  Peas are acceptable, even better if mushy. Salt and vinegar a must.  No sauce of any variety. No bread and butter. Cup of strong tea, milk and no sugar.  

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

c.30 years ago in my first grown up job my first inspection was a chip shop on Cross Arthurlie Street in Barrhead. 

While I have since succumbed to the very occasional supper when nothing else has been available they are not somewhere I go looking for food. I’m sure food hygiene standards will have improved over the period but it’s a risk I’m still not comfortable with. 

There was a small cafe at the top of the Byzantium complex in Victoria Street (now a posh chip outlet).

I occasionally had omlette and chips in there and very nice it was. 

Later I found out the owner was banned for life after a court case because he'd been keeping a live pigeon in the kitchen. 🤢

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There was a small cafe at the top of the Byzantium complex in Victoria Street (now a posh chip outlet).

I occasionally had omlette and chips in there and very nice it was. 

Later I found out the owner was banned for life after a court case because he'd been keeping a live pigeon in the kitchen. 🤢

Kept it for eggs for your omelette imo.

I'm trying to eat healthier so my last meal from the chip shop was roast chicken breast with mushy peas and a pickled onion and a surfeit of brown sauce (HP). The sauce was a bit sticky and the balance of the dish could have benefitted from using Daddies, or own brand at a push. 

Was quite good, despite the incident with the wishbone