The Falkirk FC Thread

Surely second place is not beyond Falkirk, even if Saturday doesn't go well?

I'm not denying that Falkirk would be favourites to beat whoever finishes 4th over two legs, but having to negotiate two fewer matches would certainly enhance anyone's chances of coming through the play-offs successfully.

Second place is a prize worth winning.

Benefit of finishing second can be seen from a couple of seasons back. In 2013/14 the players were exhausted by the time they played at New Douglas Park. They didn't have the energy to find a way through a disciplined Hamilton team a they had already played 3 tough games in the previous 10/11 days.

Houstie on ffctv tonight saying Ryan Blair is down at Swansea having a medical.

Would explain why we had Maybury and Cooper wasting 2 places on the bench tonight then.

Good luck to Ryan he's not really showed it in our first team yet but he's looked a class above in the under 20s and there's definitely potential there, makes a lot more sense than the Botti transfer anyway. Tony Gallacher will be next IMO.

Blair to Swansea is a weird one, even Botti showed more in first team appearances although I'm sure he's good in reserve games.

Can you even see Blair getting sent to a league 1 or 2 team in England? He looked quite nervous in his sub appearances for us.

I wish him well but I worry he'll lose out in the scattergun approach to youth development EPL teams have

I understand the scattergun approach of Swansea given that the sums involved are trifling for them, but the scale of the dealing with Falkirk seems unusual.

Are there any other clubs in the UK or elsewhere that they plunder quite this frequently?

ETA: Just noticed that Ned has asked more or less the same thing.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

How many of the youth players that you have moved on are actually a "success"?

I was very impressed by Mcgrandles and had high hopes of him playing for Scotland eventually but even he has came back.

Arfield obviously has done pretty well since he left. Kingsley and Fulton have both been on the bench for Swansea recently. Its a huge step up from the scottish championship to the english premiership.

My main gripe is that we dont get any of their surplus players coming our way on loan. Surely with the relationship we have with them some agreements could be reached. They must have a lot of players that would do a job for us.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

How many of the youth players that you have moved on are actually a "success"?

I was very impressed by Mcgrandles and had high hopes of him playing for Scotland eventually but even he has came back.

Probably arfield and Fulton are the most successful with both making a number of appearances in the EPL (arfield more than Fulton)

Depends what you see as a success I suppose, Darren Barr left and won the Scottish cup, scored in the final and was capped for Scotland.

Personally I'm not arsed about how players do after they leave us. We've got a lot of money for certain players that probably won't do much (biabi) I wish them well but I certainly won't lose no sleep over them failing.

Arfield obviously has done pretty well since he left. Kingsley and Fulton have both been on the bench for Swansea recently. Its a huge step up from the scottish championship to the english premiership.

My main gripe is that we dont get any of their surplus players coming our way on loan. Surely with the relationship we have with them some agreements could be reached. They must have a lot of players that would do a job for us.

EPL teams generally want their players to play league 1 in England.

Probably arfield and Fulton are the most successful with both making a number of appearances in the EPL (arfield more than Fulton)

Depends what you see as a success I suppose, Darren Barr left and won the Scottish cup, scored in the final and was capped for Scotland.

Personally I'm not arsed about how players do after they leave us. We've got a lot of money for certain players that probably won't do much (biabi) I wish them well but I certainly won't lose no sleep over them failing.

Agree with all this, but remember Darren Barr was capped while with us.

I think its been mentioned on here before. The likes of swansea may not be buying these players to play for them but are simply investing some of their cash. Lets just say they buy 10 players from scotland at an average of 300k each. Plus 2 million between them for wages = 5mil. Givin that 18 year olds whov hardly played can go for 12 million down there, if just one of their 10 spfl players turns out to be decent they could sell him on for 8-10 mill release the rest and there you go. Nice wee return on your investment

My worry would be if we continue selling young players who havent really played in the first team then who are we bringing through. The likes of Kerr cant go on forever, i dont understand the need to sell we aint skint. Can only imagine its money towards another stand which we dont need, certainly not in the championship.