The Falkirk FC Thread

In tomorrow's papers that we are signing Fraser Aird from Sevco. Unsure of whether it's permanent or a loan deal.

Can't remember much about him so couldn't say if it is a good signing or not. However, from what I thought, he was a midfielder, but a quick search suggests he is a right back/wing-back - at least that's where he played for the team he was on loan to in the MLS last year.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

41 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

In tomorrow's papers that we are signing Fraser Aird from Sevco. Unsure of whether it's permanent or a loan deal.

Can't remember much about him so couldn't say if it is a good signing or not. However, from what I thought, he was a midfielder, but a quick search suggests he is a right back/wing-back - at least that's where he played for the team he was on loan to in the MLS last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2OCIBIuBI

He played for the Vancouver Whitecaps, was utterly humpty.

10 hours ago, BudBairn said:

No way I genuinely believe we'd of won that game with them. We'd of been able to defend the lead better and been a bit more solid.

Sadly BB I think the reality was we got totally shown up in that game for the lightweights we were. We were completely over-run in midfield and out-paced down the wings; legitimately bullied & outmuscled, and ultimately outplayed by a supposedly rank Premiership team. They were coming at us in waves and at pace and we had no answer to it; trying to slow the game down was all very well as an idea but we had no-one capable of breaking up their possession in the middle where it really counted. 

A real lack of physical presence in midfield (someone like e.g. Davie Nicholls in his prime) was a major problem that day, and still is this season; we had - and have - too many of one type and build of midfielder, guys that lack a bit of height and dig.  McGrandles I fear would have been as ineffective as the rest that day, and he could have played as a 12th man and been just as easily brushed aside. Houston has yet to solve the problem, and if by some fluke we did get that far again this season it would surely be the same end result.       

26 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Sadly BB I think the reality was we got totally shown up in that game for the lightweights we were. We were completely over-run in midfield and out-paced down the wings; legitimately bullied & outmuscled, and ultimately outplayed by a supposedly rank Premiership team. They were coming at us in waves and at pace and we had no answer to it; trying to slow the game down was all very well as an idea but we had no-one capable of breaking up their possession in the middle where it really counted. 

A real lack of physical presence in midfield (someone like e.g. Davie Nicholls in his prime) was a major problem that day, and still is this season; we had - and have - too many of one type and build of midfielder, guys that lack a bit of height and dig.  McGrandles I fear would have been as ineffective as the rest that day, and he could have played as a 12th man and been just as easily brushed aside. Houston has yet to solve the problem, and if by some fluke we did get that far again this season it would surely be the same end result.       

You are 100% correct in your summary of Killie and that day.

Where you fail is saying that if we played Hamilton or Inverness In the playoffs in 4 months time it would be the same.

Killie signed a bunch of guys who wouldn't look out of place on a rugby field. Tall, athletic and with a Mr T frame. They just bullied us off the ball.

Take 1 look at Hamilton or Inverness and you won't see a side similar to that.

They may very well beat us in a playoff but they would do it with skill and proper football. Not by being built like the school bully.

Edited by Gaz FFC

This big strong Killie team myth hasn't half grown arms and legs since PH used it as an excuse.

I kind of agree with that. The same big strong side lost to us three days prior to our coaking at Rugby Park.

For me it was much more the fact we were playing with empty batteries after a heap of high pressure games in the previous three months and one or two of the senior players did not turn up on the day.

We matched Sevco, Hibs and hoof ball Giants of Raith physically all season comfortably.

On saying that we were very fortunate to beat killie in the first game. I think it was a bit of both. The fact we were knackered and the fact Killie were a big physical side. If we'd been playing a side more like hibs we'd have had a better chance. Didn't help that having had problems in the first game we didnt change our tactics at all and kept on punting the ball in the air which suited them to a tee.

If the Aird rumours are true then it certainly shows up Houstons signing of Kidd even more. Surely he was signed to be the starting rb/wingback?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

38 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

On saying that we were very fortunate to beat killie in the first game. I think it was a bit of both. The fact we were knackered and the fact Killie were a big physical side. If we'd been playing a side more like hibs we'd have had a better chance. Didn't help that having had problems in the first game we didnt change our tactics at all and kept on punting the ball in the air which suited them to a tee.

If the Aird rumours are true then it certainly shows up Houstons signing of Kidd even more. Surely he was signed to be the starting rb/wingback?

That's the key point, it's possible to beat more physical/tall teams but we stuck the ball in the air at every opportunity even though in the midweek game all of our good play came from playing the ball on the deck. Kilmarnock outplayed us in both legs but we managed to contain them in the first one and nicked a winner late on. 

I thought Aird was a winger? 

On that day, josh magennis absolutely shagged Leahy into submission, beating him to every ball on the right wing right from the very start. Killies centre half Addison who is also a big lad won everything in the air and killed any attacks off from the start.

Both of them are two are big fast dominating players who won killie the game imo. The whole team wasn't filled with massive cloggers they were just better than us on the day.

9 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Numbers mean heehaw nowadays but sure he had no11 for Rangers in one of footage samples, one thing is he seems to have pace, which was the answer to everything for some.

If right sided, wouldn't be a bad thing as our best option is taiwo, who is naturally a central mid. 

48 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I kind of agree with that. The same big strong side lost to us three days prior to our coaking at Rugby Park.

For me it was much more the fact we were playing with empty batteries after a heap of high pressure games in the previous three months and one or two of the senior players did not turn up on the day.

We matched Sevco, Hibs and hoof ball Giants of Raith physically all season comfortably.

3 or 4 players not fully fit a huge factor also and having to play. Houston fecked up dropping Alston, tho the injuries were the bigger factor

9 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

That's the key point, it's possible to beat more physical/tall teams but we stuck the ball in the air at every opportunity even though in the midweek game all of our good play came from playing the ball on the deck. Kilmarnock outplayed us in both legs but we managed to contain them in the first one and nicked a winner late on. 

I thought Aird was a winger? 

He's down as a defender on the sevco website.

Looking at his Transfermarkt page, he was mainly used as a right winger for Rangers in their first season in this league. 2 goals and 5 assists in 22 games that season is hardly spectacular and his most prolific season was 5 goals and 10 assists in 27 appearences in League One. I remember him having decent pace, so he's the right type of player, but I think there's a question mark over his quality.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fraser-aird/leistungsdaten/spieler/198388/plus/0?saison=2014