The Falkirk FC Thread

Jack Ross has been put on a pedestal by the St Mirren and media. He done a fantastic job keep them up on fairness.

Some of the chat of them being 11/4 2nd favourites to win the league etc seems extremely premature to me. I like Jack, fond of the times he was our captain, thought he might make a good manager for us one day...but he's already struggled in this league as manager, and St Mirren I don't think have a magic pot of money so it'll be tough for expectations to be met. As was said earlier a lot of the signings are unknown quantities. I would say though that at least it seems they are casting the net wide enough to get folk through the door.

Only time will tell if it all works out for them. My suspicion is that it will turn out much tougher than the canter some buddies are predicting it will be. 

Most St.Mirren fans that I know, are under no illusions as to how difficult it will be next season. The odds for us to win the league are ridiculous. If we reach the playoffs I'll be happy.

We're quite positive about most of our untried signings because we saw first hand what a remarkable job Ross did with the players he brought in last season. The players we have brought in are players that both Ross and Fowler identified in January as prospective targets, and hopefully they'll get the best out them, as they've worked with some of them before. I view some of the signings as quite risky, but a club in our position has to make some signings where we try to develop lower league players into better ones.We seem to be filling the team with midfielders and forwards that have turn of pace, which will be a change for us.

We'll struggle to replace Mallan, but Kyle Magennis is every bit as good a prospect as Mallan, as is Lewis Morgan.

A lot of folk bumping their gums about the media building up Ross must have forgotten the pounding he took until the upturn in our fortunes, which only happened when he shipped out ten players and replaced them with ten of his own choice.

We also have a wee bit of cash to play with, due to Mallan, Naismith and McAllister's transfers. Plus we shifted a couple of our higher earners off the premium end of the wage scale.

I'm pleased that, bar a couple of further signings, we've got our squad almost sorted early doors, so the players should be best prepared for the start of the season. I can't remember the last time we had our squad settled so early.

I am concerned that we haven't signed an experienced striker yet. Obviously Loy would be ideal, but even if he is given the go ahead to leave or to go out on loan, we'll face competition from the likes of yourself and others.

Whatever the end result next season, I know I'll be watching a team that tries to play fast, exciting football and hopefully we'll win more than we lose.

Apologies for rambling on, but good luck to yourselves for the forthcoming season and, as always, I'm sure you'll give us a hard game when we play you, no matter who you end up signing.

Edited by FTOF

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Only Cammy Smith of your summer signings, you brain donor.

Obviously misread your post.

No need to be such a c**t about it.

Will edit my post accordingly.

Edited by FTOF

You are casting an envious eye at Paisley ? Really.
They just about avoided relegation. They are trendy the now cos of Jack Ross that is all. The media loves them because they reside near Glasgow.
They are Glasgow scum. Don't be jealous of them. A horrible club with horrible values.

Strange quotes. I certainly don't think St.Mirren are a horrible club with horrible values. Can think of a few clubs I could label that with but St.Mirren are not at the top of my list. Unless you can elaborate? Good luck to them this season as long as they finish below us!

Obviously misread you post.
No need to be such a c**t about it.
Will edit my post accordingly.

There is nothing St Mirren or their fans can do if the media have a stiffie for them and decide to bum them up.

I am sure like us they know that you enjoy the good times while they are there as normally at clubs like ours your next shitey season or crisis is just round the corner.

Jack has certainly got them playing well and I have no doubt they will be in the mix next season.

Good luck next season FTOF just not against us [emoji1]

4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

There is nothing St Mirren or their fans can do if the media have a stiffie for them and decide to bum them up.

I am sure like us they know that you enjoy the good times while they are there as normally at clubs like ours your next shitey season or crisis is just round the corner.

Jack has certainly got them playing well and I have no doubt they will be in the mix next season.

Good luck next season FTOF just not against us emoji1.png

The boy Mcginn is a decent player and is the kind of quality signing I'd like to see us making. If st mirren and queens can sign players with that extra bit of quality then surely we should be able to.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

The players we have brought in are players that both Ross and Fowler identified in January as prospective targets, and hopefully they'll get the best out them, as they've worked with some of them before. I view some of the signings as quite risky, but a club in our position has to make some signings where we try to develop lower league players into better ones.We seem to be filling the team with midfielders and forwards that have turn of pace, which will be a change for us.

I really don't know if it's relevant or been mentioned in the Fuddies thread but I know that Jack Ross originally approached Reilly with a view to taking him to Dundee and when that didn't happen he took him to St Mirren.

He's got the potential to have a decent season with them.

7 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

St Mirren's signings are largely unknown and/or dross. I'd have taken either of the Ross Stewarts as projects but none of the rest of the players are good enough imo. Cammy Smith at a push would've done as a wide player for us. The likes of Samson, Buchanan or Reilly are the sort of players I have nightmares about Houston signing.

I'd rather sign no one than sign pish players. At least we still have room to sign promising players rather than using wages on the likes of Gavin Reilly.

I also know that at least one of the players we've kept on this summer turned down St Mirren to stay with us, so while you may be looking at them enviously, the players aren't.

I'll have a bet now on all of them scoring against the Bairns :whistle

4 minutes ago, BigSpow said:

If that's true then Housty is poorer than I thought! We shouldn't be loosing players like Rory to the fuddies.

It's losing mate and it's the buddies.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I really don't know if it's relevant or been mentioned in the Fuddies thread but I know that Jack Ross originally approached Reilly with a view to taking him to Dundee and when that didn't happen he took him to St Mirren.

He's got the potential to have a decent season with them.

Strange that the rumour of us signing him was mentioned on B&W Army before McCann declined the Dundee job.

With Dundee' s current lack of striking options I doubt loy will be going anywhere till McCann has had a decent look at him. I also presume if he goes anywhere it'll be a loan move again as I can't see anyone in this league matching his wages and I doubt Dundee will waste money paying him off.

Agreed but suddenly Jack Ross signs him and everyone is shitting it from him.
f**k sake.

Who's shitting it?

I don't believe St Mirren will win the league. I still think Dundee U are the main threat.

Point I made is that anyone who scores 39 in 110 for QoS should not be discounted. Clearly he must have some ability but that's obviously not been evident for the last 18 months. Often that has to do with the manager and the system and a lack of confidence.