The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We had two experienced strikers at the club. Graeme Barrett, who had signed in the summer and spent the whole of the season out injured, and Tam McManus, who also signed in the summer and never got a start. (total 5 sub appearances) He eventually left when Finnigan arrived in January as Yogi simply wouldn't play him. When Pressley re-signed him a couple of years later he showed up well.

I worked with McManus' dad at the time and he didn't have a good word to say about Yogi.

Moutinho was also there but he spent about half of the season out injured.

McManus was another strange one. Never kicked a ball.and yet he was a far better player than finnigan and a better suit for our style.  I never really saw pedro or barrett as number 9s to be honest. Thought they were better when played out wide in a 3 like they did with higdon in the middle the following season.  I reckon if we'd kept tam we may still have made top 6 that season who knows.

38 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

I worked with Tam McManus and he thought Yogi was great and still does.😉

Can't argue with you as I had no dealings with him. His dad - Tam senior - was a trackman in a relay gang based I think at Slateford in Edinburgh. It was either there or Carstairs / Rutherglen and he was too nice a guy to be part of the weegies. I liked him. I liked his son too, at least as a footballer even though I didn't know him personally.

Re John Hughes

Can we start tomorrow on a new subject please. The same points are being made over and over again just using different words and it's getting boring..

If this goes on much longer people will switch off the forum.

So tomorrow folks lets make a pact to discuss something new.

Here is a suggestion. Your best ever Falkirk line up from players you saw.

Criteria - Maybe not the most talented individuals but the best 11 that would be effective on the park. Then back it up with a summery why.

No rights or wrongs. different eras and football philosophy and preferred style of play dictate that. But would be interesting for all to get a handle on how we like to see football played.

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We had two experienced strikers at the club. Graeme Barrett, who had signed in the summer and spent the whole of the season out injured, and Tam McManus, who also signed in the summer and never got a start. (total 5 sub appearances) He eventually left when Finnigan arrived in January as Yogi simply wouldn't play him. When Pressley re-signed him a couple of years later he showed up well.

I worked with McManus' dad at the time and he didn't have a good word to say about Yogi.

Moutinho was also there but he spent about half of the season out injured.

From Tam himself.

When he re-signed for Falkirk under Pressley he wasn't on a great wage and unfortunately sustained an injury.

Whilst out the team he noticed  extra money each week in his wages and sussed out it was for win bonuses which he wasn't due. 

He went to George Craig to report the error and was told they were Steven Pressley's win bonuses and Pressley insisted it got paid to Tam.  

7 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

From Tam himself.

When he re-signed for Falkirk under Pressley he wasn't on a great wage and unfortunately sustained an injury.

Whilst out the team he noticed  extra money each week in his wages and sussed out it was for win bonuses which he wasn't due. 

He went to George Craig to report the error and was told they were Steven Pressley's win bonuses and Pressley insisted it got paid to Tam.  

He was very funny at david Haynes do at btw. Admitted himself he was a total jinx throughout his career. Every team he played for either got relegated or went bust. Good guy no idea why he didn't get a kick at falkirk the first time. One of life's mysterys.

Win bonuses under pressley? Couldnt have been many of them.🤣

Edited by Shadwell Dog

10 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Re John Hughes

Can we start tomorrow on a new subject please. The same points are being made over and over again just using different words and it's getting boring..

If this goes on much longer people will switch off the forum.

So tomorrow folks lets make a pact to discuss something new.

Here is a suggestion. Your best ever Falkirk line up from players you saw.

Criteria - Maybe not the most talented individuals but the best 11 that would be effective on the park. Then back it up with a summery why.

No rights or wrongs. different eras and football philosophy and preferred style of play dictate that. But would be interesting for all to get a handle on how we like to see football played.

Marshall

Weir

McQueen

Hughes

McLaughlin

Fulton

McAllister

Taylor

Stainrod

Cadette

McWilliams

Subs

Latapy

Stokes

Rice

Parks

Den Bieman

Good balance overall, plenty legs and effective subs to come on. May, McGivern, McCall, McQuilken, Barr in my squad too.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

On 04/05/2020 at 08:39, Bantabairn said:

Met Yogi on a few occasions, lived and breathed the club. Personally enjoyed the time he was here, however always had issues with one or two players he signed and then never played. I’m no insider but heard from a really good contact that one or two people did the dirty on him ( whatever that is in football) Many stories and rumours about him being big headed, and sometimes difficult to deal with, I always found him a decent, honest and one of the most hard working guys I’ve met.

Ask anyone who was involved with us during his time, worked seven days a week , unlike messers/imposters PM & RM who couldn’t wait to get away at midday ( or in RM case worked a three morning week )

Apparently when he was at Lochee, I know that was a while ago, he was always turning up at training hungover so maybe that explains the short days/week.

13 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Beginning to wonder if you actually are Yogi.

Bainsfordbairn will put you straight on that😉 

Just sticking up for someone I worked with and respected for the amount of work he and Chipper put in to getting us to and keeping us in the top League.

I`ve already stated everyone is entitled to their opinion and I`m not blind to mistakes that were made (it`s inevitable) but when I read stuff I know to be untrue or misrepresented, I`m purely having my say on it.

Edited by 60`s bairn

28 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Marshall

Weir

McQueen

Hughes

McLaughlin

Fulton

McAllister

Taylor

Stainrod

Cadette

McWilliams

Subs

Latapy

Stokes

Rice

Parks

Den Bieman

Good balance overall, plenty legs and effective subs to come on. May, McGivern, McCall, McQuilken, Barr in my squad too.

What a cracking line up. Here is mine.

Whigham - Kennedy - McLaughlin - Hughes - Weir - Gillespie - McAllister - Stainrod - Stokes - Latapy - Shirra.

Subs - Marshall - Miller ( George ) - McQueen - Arfield - Johnson. 

Balance of skill - iron and flair.

16 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Donaldson

Kennedy, McGlaughlin

Markie, Miller, Gibson

McAllister, Latapy, Farid, Stainrod & Shirra

Close, but no cigar!

Watson

Kennedy, McLaughlin

Markie, Miller, Gibson

McAllister, Latapy, Taylor, Stainrod, McWilliams

57 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What a cracking line up. Here is mine.

Whigham - Kennedy - McLaughlin - Hughes - Weir - Gillespie - McAllister - Stainrod - Stokes - Latapy - Shirra.

Subs - Marshall - Miller ( George ) - McQueen - Arfield - Johnson. 

Balance of skill - iron and flair.

Yeah I really ought to have Johnson in there. I overlook him a wee bit because of the Lambie season association though he was a shining light.

29 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

I’ve been scanning some old Raith fanzines for a mate.

In one  of them Peter Hetherston is interviewed and mentions Jim Duffy losing his job over an incident in a nightclub in Saltcoats, I’d never heard of this before any idea what happened ?

Team struggling.

Go on a team bonding session to a Saltcoats nitespot.

Locals get wide, hands are thrown all over the shop.

Duffy resigns as he feels let down by players.