The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

His career is over.  He's had chances at Celtic, Dundee and us to knuckle down and get his head in order but he can't do it.  Anyone daft enough to take him on will regret it as quickly as we did. 

This seems by far the most likely scenario. I am fairly sure we have been treated to "Griffiths has sorted himself out" type chat before over the years. It's a bit crass really that the issues he suffers from are being discussed hand in hand with his ongoing football career. I hope he sorts himself out for a life post-football. But as far as signing him for us, absolutely not. He might well go on to do well somewhere else, but f**k me man, imagine we signed him and he was as bad again.... 

Once bitten twice shy. Signing him last season was a very costly f**k up. Signing him again would blow my mind to bits. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Did people watch the games with Griffiths with their eyes shut last season?

We were particularly terrible in every area of the park during that period, Griffiths despite carrying  an injury from the Alloa match which prevented him training properly, being massively unfit and under motivated was by no means our worst player. Far from it in fact. An incentivised contract (if he was prepared to accept such a deal) carries little or no risk financially on the clubs part and if somehow McGlynn can get him motivated everyone knows the guys ability, at only 31 years old there is no reason he’s lost any of that ability. It may or may not work but at least the onus would be on the player to earn his wage and in reality can you suggest any obvious alternatives? Competitive games start in two weeks and we literally have no strikers. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

4 hours ago, Trump said:

Rumours on Twitter that Jay Fulton leaving Swansea, still under contract so will be a fee involved, do we have a sell on clause for him? Anything to help with the budget this year.

Rumour is he is being released

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

His career is over.  He's had chances at Celtic, Dundee and us to knuckle down and get his head in order but he can't do it.  Anyone daft enough to take him on will regret it as quickly as we did. 

TBF he was injured at Alloa and couldn’t train. 

55 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

We were particularly terrible in every area of the park during that period, Griffiths despite being massively unfit and under motivated was by no means our worst player. Far from it in fact. An incentivised contract (if he was prepared to accept such a deal) carries little or no risk financially on the clubs part and if somehow McGlynn can get him motivated everyone knows the guys ability, at only 31 years old there is no reason he’s lost any of that ability. It may or may not work but at least the onus would be on the player to earn his wage and in reality can you suggest any obvious alternatives? Competitive games start in two weeks and we literally have no strikers. 

We have strikers it's just one is an untested kid, one is utterly hopeless, and the other whilst just signed has hardly been prolific. I also expect the utterly hopeless one to be punted as soon as the loan market opens up. I don't think McGlynn is the type to rush in and sign someone for the sake of it like Sheerin did with Wilson, it maybe we will need to wait till the competitive matches start if he's looking at prem squads for players. The trialist market is usually full of dross, with the occasional gem. 

8 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We have strikers it's just one is an untested kid, one is utterly hopeless, and the other whilst just signed has hardly been prolific. I also expect the utterly hopeless one to be punted as soon as the loan market opens up. I don't think McGlynn is the type to rush in and sign someone for the sake of it like Sheerin did with Wilson, it maybe we will need to wait till the competitive matches start if he's looking at prem squads for players. The trialist market is usually full of dross, with the occasional gem. 

On his interview at the time I don’t think the manager classes Oliver as an out and out striker, unless we have no other options his position will probably be one of the front three behind a striker in McGlynns  preferred 4-2-3-1. Certainly his goals to game ratio would suggest he’s not an out and out number 9. 

15 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I don't think McGlynn is the type to rush in and sign someone for the sake of it like Sheerin did with Wilson, 

Sheerin did not rush in and sign Wilson. He was on trial for several weeks and had played in a number of friendlies prior to being inexplicably chucked a two-year contract as a full-time professional footballer. It is what makes his signing all the more criminal.

About to renew my season for me and my son (under 12), the under 12 is obviously free, sure i recall reading last year that Ineos pay the club for the under 12's....is that correct or am i wrong? if so how much do they give us?

17 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

I was the biggest Hetherington critic last year however last night he played very well in a free role and although every pass didn’t come off he absolutely tried to create, get forward and was always open for a pass. 

Just own it and say he’s you’re scapegoat and you’ll never like him. 

The guys only football talent is to foul people, we need better than him. Hopefully he’s a bench filler if staying! 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Rumour is he is being released

Yeah he’s on substantial 5 figure weekly wage rumoured to be £12k plus & club keen to move him on as want to resign Joe Allen 

I agree with BPM & think any prospects of us gleaning something from his sell on clause will not happen 

Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up as squad player at Forest with Cooper 

37 minutes ago, alonso said:

About to renew my season for me and my son (under 12), the under 12 is obviously free, sure i recall reading last year that Ineos pay the club for the under 12's....is that correct or am i wrong? if so how much do they give us?

Ineos sponsored the U12s free scheme in 18/19 & 19/20. I suspect that came to an end when COVID arrived as the club haven't publicised anything about it since. 

Would presumably be up to the new commercial team if they wanted to try and resurrect that deal or get similar sponsorship elsewhere. 

2018.11.22 Ineos (3).jpg

I don’t have any criticism of signing Griffiths. It was a last throw of the dice to try and get a playoff spot. Additional funding had come into the club from FSS, Patrons etc and in my opinion was worth a punt. 

It didn’t work for several reasons, from the player being injured/ unfit and short of pace, teammates hardly creating any chances for him, however when he was in possession he usually hardly wasted a pass, his reading of the game was at a different level to what he was playing beside, and his set piece delivery was spot on. He was far from the worst we had last year.