The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

It is increasingly mystifying why we paid money for Jordan Allan.

McGlynn clearly has no intention of starting him so why bother? If you can't get a game ahead of Oliver and Wright then f**k me.

It did help you guys get overexcited after january and start giving it big licks about how good your squad was, before once again getting one shot on target and realising you aren't actually very good. 

Allan seems to be another one where a contract has been thrown about like confetti. A decent few months in a Clyde team that play a totally different style of football from us and we give him a 2 and a half year deal.

He was released from Airdrie so I’m not convinced paying a fee and then offering a 2.5 year contract was justified or necessary.

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Allan seems to be another one where a contract has been thrown about like confetti. A decent few months in a Clyde team that play a totally different style of football from us and we give him a 2 and a half year deal.

He was released from Airdrie so I’m not convinced paying a fee and then offering a 2.5 year contract was justified or necessary.

You’ve also got to ask why Nesbitt has been given a two year extension. As discussed 1 year max, with caveats would have been more appropriate. Maybe far fetched but has the Nesbitt announcement caused friction with others ?

54 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

This. 

He had a full season with us to establish himself and couldn't. Even Jon Afolabi started some games ahead of him and he was utter dugmeat. 

It seems like a bit of a panic buy. Did Mcglynn even want him? 

56 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

So far a completely baffling waste of money from the manager. 

In fairness managers do get it wrong with transfers, and there’s certainly bigger candidates than John McGlynn that’s made some howlers.
My concern/worry is that we’ve given a club money to sign a CF mid season and three months down the line he’s hardly kicked a ball.
We also signed Wright at the same time. Add Burrells and we’ve got three strikers sitting on the sidelines as McGlynn keeps to a loan striker.
If it’s true about Burrell knocking back signing terms, one could argue his case and why would he stick around if no signs of starting games. 

Early campaign some RR supporters said McGlynn tends to keep to tried and tested, so far there not far wrong.

33 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This. 

He had a full season with us to establish himself and couldn't. Even Jon Afolabi started some games ahead of him and he was utter dugmeat. 

So if McGlynn didn’t want him who would have signed him? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not going to answer my question? 

If you’re going to accuse someone of having an agenda then back it up! 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

38 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This. 

Only Mcglynn has any say on transfers at the club. 

It’s been proven enough times that very few teams (if indeed any) can turn the gas on and off at will, and through that, maintain any kind of consistently good results.

Not for one minute do I think this is McGlynn’s instruction, and so it’s individual choices by individual players. Do/did they think that 2nd place was already in the bag?

We still have two hands on second spot, but recent form/performances point to it not being guaranteed.  

Some think McGlynn has achieved really fantastic things. There is an alternate opinion that squads are so tight in L1 that seven or eight sides can turn each other over ( not applicable to Dunfermline for obvious reasons).

If it’s the latter, then McGlynn has built a mildly competitive L1 side that can beat (almost) anyone, and lose or at least drop points to everyone. That to me means he has put together a top quarter L1 side which is kind of “meeting expectations”. It’s certainly not exceeding them.

The SC draws have fallen incredibly kindly for us, but credit where credit is due…….it hasn’t been screwed up.

What we have seen with deadwood leaving is pretty much what I would have expected to see from any competent manager this time around……including the timings of departures. No-one was going to walk away last summer.

For me, I am seeing performances that are definitive McGlynn……sage, middle of the road + with the occasional superb result surrounded by others that are both good and awful. One of those “we aren’t going to win the league, but we will have a big say in who does” types of manager (and perhaps nowt wrong with that given the resources at his disposal at RR v FFC).

My big concern is that a bit like McKinnon, McGlynn hasn’t won very much. Set aside fluff like the Consolation Cup, and we have one old L2 win in 2009, and one L1 award in the COVID season.

That’s not a lot to hang our hat on. Of course, a SC Final and/or Playoff success will alter his time at the club significantly, but he hasn’t achieved either of those things previously. This isn’t a manager who has truly walked this road before. Miss out on both of those, and there will be doubts, big doubts (but the SC is the one where failure really isn’t failure).

April was always shaping up as a real crunch month, and I am sure it’s going to be hugely memorable one way or the other. 

45 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Amazing to see after only 3 days 👏🏻

The North stand 3 sections we had being sold out is great, hopefully we’ll sell the last 2 sections in that stand so it joins up with the Bairns fans in the West stand 💙🔥

Fantastic sales, win the next few games and could see nearly five digit numbers. 

4 hours ago, AGPar said:

It's always the same 1 or 2 posters who, when they offer an opinion that could be construed as in any way critical of the club/playing staff/management/board, are accused of "having an agenda"

It's always the same 1 or 2 posters making that particular accusation.

And it's always the same vague "agenda" insinuation. Never anything specific. 

Funny that.

It’s boring and tedious tbh - but suppose are here for people to share their views. It’s all got a bit childish so I skip over it now tbh.

45 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I've no idea, someone at board level perhaps? Pure speculation on my ignorant part of course. 

Like I say, to pay money for the guy then barely let him on the pitch seems a strange one. 

I'm also not convinced he's the answer to your problems either. He runs about a lot but his hold up play isn't particularly good and I wouldn't say he's got bags of pace either. 

In saying that, I liked him as an impact sub, he would chase alot of lost causes and that commitment always endears a player to Airdrie fans. 

41 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If it’s the latter, then McGlynn has built a mildly competitive L1 side

I actually think he has done a bit more than that - and that's why there is a growing level of discontent about recent performances and results. On paper - and that's the key caveat - a squad that contains say Morrison, Kennedy, Nesbitt, Oliver, Allan, Burrell, Lawall as viable final third options, or McGinn, Henderson, Max in the middle should be highly, highly competitive in this division. I don't care about last season, that should be challenging full-on for the title, nothing less. And there's probably one or two managers in the league above who would be pretty content with these options. But having built a very decent squad, he seems unable or unwilling to make the most of it and is doggedly sticking with the same old, same old in terms of formation, personnel and tactics every week when it's clear that it's no longer working. We are very, very predictable. Yesterday against a poor Clyde side was the perfect opportunity to try something a bit different, shake it up, yet he did nothing. There will be loads of calls for change and freshness next week - understandably so - but I just do not see it for a minute. He didn't do it against Clyde, there's no chance he'll do it against Dunfermline. If it's the same type of performance and result as in November and a few weeks ago, the criticism will be justified.

He's been extremely well backed relative to every other manager in the division, McPake included. I actually think he's done well recruitment-wise. But he's not currently getting nearly enough from the squad and appears incredibly stubborn in his refusal to give others a chance when his favoured players are not doing it. That's nothing to do with last season. A huge month coming up, the success of this season is still very much in the balance.

40 minutes ago, AGPar said:

I actually think he has done a bit more than that - and that's why there is a growing level of discontent about recent performances and results. On paper - and that's the key caveat - a squad that contains say Morrison, Kennedy, Nesbitt, Oliver, Allan, Burrell, Lawall as viable final third options, or McGinn, Henderson, Max in the middle should be highly, highly competitive in this division. I don't care about last season, that should be challenging full-on for the title, nothing less. And there's probably one or two managers in the league above who would be pretty content with these options. But having built a very decent squad, he seems unable or unwilling to make the most of it and is doggedly sticking with the same old, same old in terms of formation, personnel and tactics every week when it's clear that it's no longer working. We are very, very predictable. Yesterday against a poor Clyde side was the perfect opportunity to try something a bit different, shake it up, yet he did nothing. There will be loads of calls for change and freshness next week - understandably so - but I just do not see it for a minute. He didn't do it against Clyde, there's no chance he'll do it against Dunfermline. If it's the same type of performance and result as in November and a few weeks ago, the criticism will be justified.

He's been extremely well backed relative to every other manager in the division, McPake included. I actually think he's done well recruitment-wise. But he's not currently getting nearly enough from the squad and appears incredibly stubborn in his refusal to give others a chance when his favoured players are not doing it. That's nothing to do with last season. A huge month coming up, the success of this season is still very much in the balance.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Main point being around how predictable we are, especially in formation and the holding number 10. 

He has to get an effective formation and performance out of the players against Dunfermline at home next week. Another insipid performance against them where their goal isn't threatened again really doesn't bode well for the play offs. 

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

Yesterday was brutal and inept, a complete waste of £17. The worry is, we'll make the play offs as Alloa and Edinburgh both won't pick up enough points to dislodge us but we're in danger of taking no form at all into the play offs. Forget the SC, that's just a day oot as on current form ICT will batter us.

I'm at a loss as to what the tactics or shape are, both are utter drivel and are getting us nothing.

1 hour ago, ChrispPancake said:

Yesterday was brutal and inept, a complete waste of £17. The worry is, we'll make the play offs as Alloa and Edinburgh both won't pick up enough points to dislodge us but we're in danger of taking no form at all into the play offs. Forget the SC, that's just a day oot as on current form ICT will batter us.

I'm at a loss as to what the tactics or shape are, both are utter drivel and are getting us nothing.

As Alex Ferguson said 'Squeaky Bum Time'

The players contracts are on the line and should be bursting a gut with the bonus of making the semi-final team for some players the only time they will play in one. Goodness knows what's got to them they should be flying out the traps to impress.

Team needs a good win with a good display badly.

Here's hoping.

43 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

As Alex Ferguson said 'Squeaky Bum Time'

The players contracts are on the line and should be bursting a gut with the bonus of making the semi-final team for some players the only time they will play in one. Goodness knows what's got to them they should be flying out the traps to impress.

Team needs a good win with a good display badly.

Here's hoping.

From an earlier ask it looks like most of the squad are contracted for next season (albeit with some out of contract in the next couple of months)