The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Don't think burrell is any better than Allan or ageyman. 

So when's the away top being announced? I'm thirsty for more!!! 

Burrells problem going forward, and for us, was that impact off the bench increasingly appears to be his niche. He has a decent scoring record at it for us, but there seemed to be an issue with him being effective for 90 minutes.

I think, if you look at effectiveness, I expect both Allan and Agyeman to have a bigger say in how a game goes if played from the start. I know we have often slagged off the signing of Allan as being a bit puzzling, but I still think theres a plan there for him to be in the poachers role this season. 

31 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not if as was rumoured he was causing disruption in the dressing room he wasn’t. We are well shot

Don’t know about that but he turned down talks about a contract extension before the end of the season. 

I was one of those guilty for overrating Burrell last year, but I do feel many of us did so as he always looked considerably more threatening than a number of others in our striking department. That doesn’t equal him being good enough, though. Was completely indifferent to him leaving and not overly shocked he hasn’t got himself a great move; he’d clearly chucked it by the end of the season (although I feel this accusation is often levelled at him alone, when it could be argued a number of the team packed it in after EEP away in March).

Edited by 18BAIRN76

23 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

Can't believe the negativity towards MacIver from some of our support before he's even played a game, I've spoken to a few people that know him and they reckon he will definitely do the business for us if given a chance.

Our negativity is based on this, statistics and his past record:

Ross MacIver
Personal information
Date of birth 28 February 1999 (age 24)[1]
Place of birth Inverness, Scotland[1]
Height 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
Position(s) Forward
Team information
Current team
Falkirk
Youth career
–2017 Ross County
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2017–2019 Ross County 0 (0)
2017  Wick Academy (loan)    
2018  Forfar Athletic (loan) 10 (1)
2019  Elgin City (loan) 15 (4)
2019–2021 Motherwell 8 (1)
2020–2021  Greenock Morton (loan) 6 (0)
2021  Partick Thistle (loan) 7 (2)
2021–2022 Partick Thistle 17 (0)
2022  Alloa Athletic (loan) 9 (1)
2022–2023 Alloa Athletic 46 (6)
2023- Falkirk 0 (0)
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 20:21, 27 March 2023 (UTC)

Your positivity is based on what a few people have told you?

He's been released by Ross County, Motherwell and Partick Thistle. While we might no longer be playing at their level it is still quite worrying.

From a good friend up north with with connections, Burrells probably got a decent overall deal  that many clubs wouldn’t be able to get near. For me didn’t get enough games and if what’s reported about dressing room disquiet, he can GTF. For the record he wasn't the only player to down tools. Singular criticism is unfair on that front. 

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Our negativity is based on this, statistics and his past record:

Ross MacIver
Personal information
Date of birth 28 February 1999 (age 24)[1]
Place of birth Inverness, Scotland[1]
Height 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
Position(s) Forward
Team information
Current team
Falkirk
Youth career
–2017 Ross County
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2017–2019 Ross County 0 (0)
2017  Wick Academy (loan)    
2018  Forfar Athletic (loan) 10 (1)
2019  Elgin City (loan) 15 (4)
2019–2021 Motherwell 8 (1)
2020–2021  Greenock Morton (loan) 6 (0)
2021  Partick Thistle (loan) 7 (2)
2021–2022 Partick Thistle 17 (0)
2022  Alloa Athletic (loan) 9 (1)
2022–2023 Alloa Athletic 46 (6)
2023- Falkirk 0 (0)
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 20:21, 27 March 2023 (UTC)

Your positivity is based on what a few people have told you?

He's been released by Ross County, Motherwell and Partick Thistle. While we might no longer be playing at their level it is still quite worrying.

Think it is all about what you want him for  He is good in the air so would be ideal for creating for others  We played only one up front last year and relied on Kennedy and Morrison to get the knock downs. If we play him with Allan or even Oliver we could benefit

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

From a good friend up north with with connections, Burrells probably got a decent overall deal  that many clubs wouldn’t be able to get near. For me didn’t get enough games and if what’s reported about dressing room disquiet, he can GTF. For the record he wasn't the only player to down tools. Singular criticism is unfair on that front. 

I always thought that his lack of game time had more to do with off park attitude rather than what he did on the park so dressing room antics would explain things

7 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Think it is all about what you want him for  He is good in the air so would be ideal for creating for others  We played only one up front last year and relied on Kennedy and Morrison to get the knock downs. If we play him with Allan or even Oliver we could benefit

I would hope next season Oliver is purely there as a squad player and will rarely, if ever, start games. 

Out of interest, what were all these discipline issue’s Burrell had ? I’ve not heard anything of this.

Absolutely outrageous he started in the semi final if that was the case.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Burrell may not have been amazing but the biggest issue was he didn't suit the formation.  He looked a bigger threat than Oliver but was given a fraction of the chances.

Can't see us playing more than 1 of the 4 this year.  Agyeman may well play wide but you'd think Miller and Morrison will be first picks there.  Allan offers nothing up on his own and the other 3 have horrendous scoring records.  It's a worry. 

Just now, Proudtobeabairn said:

Burrell may not have been amazing but the biggest issue was he didn't suit the formation.  He looked a bigger threat than Oliver but was given a fraction of the chances.

Can't see us playing more than 1 of the 4 this year.  Agyeman may well play wide but you'd think Miller and Morrison will be first picks there.  Allan offers nothing up on his own and the other 3 have horrendous scoring records.  It's a worry. 

Agree, still need a proven striker at this level, contrary to some who think we’re good with what’s in place.

47 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I thought a championship team would've taken a punt on burrell for free so very surprised to see him rocking up at cove. 

If he was indeed a bit of a disruptive character word gets around the game.

This along with his modest talents explains why he will be playing his football in a Junior standard ground in an industrial estate at the arse end of nowhere for a greasy wee tramp of a manager.

17 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Declan McManus has scored 50 goals in 51 games for New Saints🤪

Out of contract too and his Mrs has hinted at a move on twitter. Unfortunately I'd imagine he'll take another punt in England.

Oliver brings others into play as well as he did manage his own best of getting into double figures, Burrell was a good impact sub folk wanted him to start which is understandable but after the Kelly game against Alloa when we got what we wanted with Burrell starting he didn't take his chances to stake a claim for a weekly starting slot and as mentioned it did look clear the last games he couldn't be arsed.

with MacIver I think you could say the same as any other player a lot of factors add to why they aren't as good comes down to style of play, managers attitude (Hartley as an example)there could be a shit load of reasons. Look at what McGlynn managed to do with some that we had labelled as shit the season before well ok new lease for some only to revert the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’d hope McGlynn has learned from playing lone front men last season that weren’t capable of playing there themselves and will look at alternative formations.

Allan will get poacher type goals but he needs someone up there with him.

What I really want to see, and what I think Allan is uniquely capable of being in the pool we have (so far) Is for there to be someone in the box, looking to carve out a half yard for themselves when the wide men have the ball. I want there to be a guy in there who is actively looking for second balls, and who is keen and able to take one touch max before getting the shot away. Too many times we dither in and around the box. It seems likely if Allan plays it will be alongside one or more big lads. He needs to be the guy who finds the space and hoovers up the cahnces/loose balls created by great big b*****ds bullying their way around the defences.