The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Really pleased with the guy taking over FalkirkTV comms. I reckon he will smash it 👍 

Is it the lad who was doing Livingston’s? 

58 minutes ago, Springfield said:

No, thought both teams were excellent. 

JJ had us fifth in the top flight though and just missing out on a euro spot. McCalls whilst a decent side was at champ level . Takes a lot to beat the  stainrod mcgivern season when we were going through a run of beating decent sides by anything up to 7 goals. 

26 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

JJ had us fifth in the top flight though and just missing out on a euro spot. McCalls whilst a decent side was at champ level . Takes a lot to beat the  stainrod mcgivern season when we were going through a run of beating decent sides by anything up to 7 goals. 

Great times, Sammy ( and the team’s performance) away at the old Airdrie, backed by a huge support will always be one of my fave days away. Privileged to see guys like Stainrod and sometimes guys like Nics, Taylor, McWilliams who didn’t always make the headlines who’d run through brick walls. 

Supporter since '86/'87 when my old man started taking me to games aged 3/4 so I'm just a bit too young to remember most of the Jeffries stuff but for me McCall's side was probably the most exciting I'd ever been going every week.

I was never a massive fan of Hughes at the time - I felt that a lot of his success was based on luck rather than talent - but my opinion of his time has softened considerably since he left.

For me it's a straight shoot between McCall and Hughes.

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Supporter since '86/'87 when my old man started taking me to games aged 3/4 so I'm just a bit too young to remember most of the Jeffries stuff but for me McCall's side was probably the most exciting I'd ever been going every week.

I was never a massive fan of Hughes at the time - I felt that a lot of his success was based on luck rather than talent - but my opinion of his time has softened considerably since he left.

For me it's a straight shoot between McCall and Hughes.

Different types of managers, McCall was really clever at wheeling and dealing with limited cash. Hughes probably had some of the biggest budgets ever dished out, and while identifying some gems, decided to spend ridiculous amounts of cash on players who were topping up already huge pensions. 

I personally don't think you can have McCall in there, job perhaps was 3/4 done when he left but you have to see a manager work under pressure in difficult times to see what he is made of.

The fickle world of the football supporter made me chuckle when McCall left....yep life changing money for him made Falkirk supporters forgive him easily, whereas Jeffries left for his boyhood team and it was obviously a difficult decision with or without the faked Fulston heart attack. I'm sure some Falkirk fans still haven't forgiven him. He also had the metal to turn up to collect manager of the millennium not long after leaving too.

It's simply Jeffries or Hughes for me, the latter tho took the players away from the supporters with a massive divide in the final season putting Jeffries ahead on points and he also relegated Dunfermline 😁

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

It's simply Jeffries or Hughes for me, the latter tho took the players away from the supporters with a massive divide in the final season putting Jeffries ahead on points and he also relegated Dunfermline 😁

They both did, Jeffries relegated us twice although he was absolved of all blame. 

Hughes was far more influential in a Dunfermline relegation. 

43 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Blaine Rowe opinions? Think from what’s been gathered, he’s currently on trial with us ? Any good for yourselves ? 

Definite potential but aye, he never quite maintained the early promise. A shame he never got a chance to play a part in the business end for us though. We were undoubtedly much weaker for him not being there just when it mattered. 

Good engine, talks a lot. Competes well in the tackle and in the air. Needs to impose himself in the opposition half a bit more though. 

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Definite potential but aye, he never quite maintained the early promise. A shame he never got a chance to play a part in the business end for us though. We were undoubtedly much weaker for him not being there just when it mattered. 

Good engine, talks a lot. Competes well in the tackle and in the air. Needs to impose himself in the opposition half a bit more though. 

These shortcomings require coaching on game management and decision making he makes the correct decisions in his own half soi it's sortable.

10 hours ago, qpfc said:

Blaine Rowe opinions? Think from what’s been gathered, he’s currently on trial with us ? Any good for yourselves ? 

Good engine and decent enough defensively but needs to improve on his final ball.