The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Juan Sheet said:

Well that’s pretty much nonsense, regardless of targets and what’s transpired the necessity is for a right back and we haven’t signed one! All the while spending the budget on players that are supposedly better quality than we already have in positions where we’re already much better endowed. 

Fair enough if Zlatan decided he really wants to play for us and would play for next to nothing, you’d make allowances as he’s got undoubted quality, but you really have to question the signing of MacIver especially when you’ve no right back and no energy or physicality in the defensive side of midfield! All the while playing 1 up front and several players already vying for that spot.

If what I wrote is nonsense (giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did read and understand) tell me what conversations McGlynn had with agents, other clubs and players regarding pursuing a RB. 

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Things are going in the right direction off field let’s pray that the management and team deliver the goods on the park.

I think there are 2 separate things at play here :-

1. The current BoD are miles and away better than previous. They may not get everything right 100% of the time, but they in general have made huge strides to improve fan/club relationships and lay out our financial situation in a much more transparent function.  To have "fans" on the BoD through the Patrons Group and the FSS is a huge stride forwards in the way the club is being run. I don't think there could be any better way, given our financial restrictions, for us to move forwards. There is no "sugar daddy" FFC fan out there willing to lose cash on a League 1 Scottish club. To try and bring in an outside investor is playing with fire.  We have been there before and got our fingers burnt. My opinion only, those who complain about the BoD should try and get themselves elected by one of the supporters Group and attempt to make the changes or improvements they see fit. 

2. Again only my opinon, McGlynn is rightly getting pelters. He is a dinosaur in modern football terms and cannot change. I think as the season goes on we will get more and more frustrated with his decisions and the style of football will be the same as last season. Yes it was the BoD's decision to appoint him. He steadied the ship but has not taken us forward. The results at the end of last season and the predictions of "DF", Raith fans and a few others were borne out. He should have been punted then. We can't punt him now....not for a few more weeks anyway. Possibly the BoD's thinking is in a financial sense. We have lost so much cash paying out previous managers contracts.

In this respect the BoD are caught between a rock and a hard place. If they do decide to get rid of McGlynn, I don't envy them trying to bring in a new manager that will bring us the league playing the footy we want to see. if they get lucky then all good and well, but the chances are that it could be another disaster. My caveat to that would be to bring in someone with a knowledge of the game in Scotland and someone who has relatively modern ideas, rather than another old guy who has been round the block a few times. Even then the chances of success are probably 50/50, as we. have seen with Rennie and Sheeran.  

Bottom line is, I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions !

Edited by Zbairn

Don’t like McGlynn, wasn’t happy with his appointment and wanted the trebuchet wheeled onto the pitch at Airdrie for him.

But he has been backed to get the job done this season and anyone with half a functioning brain must surely realise that he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The calls for him to go on here and the ramping up of the negativity from a hard core of disaffected old board apologists are farcical and are making this thread almost unreadable.

The new regime are far from faultless but surely no one can seriously argue that they are not a vast improvement on the collection of incompetents and arseholes who had the reins of power for years previously and were literally killing our club.

Things are going in the right direction off field let’s pray that the management and team deliver the goods on the park.

Totally separate issues- as far as I can see, the board have backed McGlynn to the hilt (to the extent of allowing him to go over budget last season). The responsibility for the bizarre recruitment, stubborn tactics and ultimately poor results lays purely at McGlynn’s door.

The only criticism that could be levelled at the board is their failure to remove him following the Airdrie game. However, I can understand why the decision was made to keep him due to the financial implications and uncertainty involved in replacing him. 

The early indications are that he has failed to learn from last season and the board could well be left with a decision to make.

Don’t like McGlynn, wasn’t happy with his appointment and wanted the trebuchet wheeled onto the pitch at Airdrie for him.

But he has been backed to get the job done this season and anyone with half a functioning brain must surely realise that he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The calls for him to go on here and the ramping up of the negativity from a hard core of disaffected old board apologists are farcical and are making this thread almost unreadable.

The new regime are far from faultless but surely no one can seriously argue that they are not a vast improvement on the collection of incompetents and arseholes who had the reins of power for years previously and were literally killing our club.

Please stop posting as that was far too sensible for this forum at the moment

Edited by Bigbrbairn

13 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

I think there are 2 separate things at play here :-

1. The current BoD are miles and away better than previous. They may not get everything right 100% of the time, but they in general have made huge strides to improve fan/club relationships and lay out our financial situation in a much more transparent function.  To have "fans" on the BoD through the Patrons Group and the FSS is a huge stride forwards in the way the club is being run. I don't think there could be any better way, given our financial restrictions, for us to move forwards. There is no "sugar daddy" FFC fan out there willing to lose cash on a League 1 Scottish club. To try and bring in an outside investor is playing with fire.  We have been there before and got our fingers burnt. My opinion only, those who complain about the BoD should try and get themselves elected by one of the supporters Group and attempt to make the changes or improvements they see fit. 

2. Again only my opinon, McGlynn is rightly getting pelters. He is a dinosaur in modern football terms and cannot change. I think as the season goes on we will get more and more frustrated with his decisions and the style of football will be the same as last season. Yes it was the BoD's decision to appoint him. He steadied the ship but has not taken us forward. The results at the end of last season and the predictions of "DF", Raith fans and a few others were borne out. He should have been punted then. We can't punt him now....not for a few more weeks anyway. Possibly the BoD's thinking is in a financial sense. We have lost so much cash paying out previous managers contracts.

In this respect the BoD are caught between a rock and a hard place. If they do decide to get rid of McGlynn, I don't envy them trying to bring in a new manager that will bring us the league playing the footy we want to see. if they get lucky then all good and well, but the chances are that it could be another disaster. My caveat to that would be to bring in someone with a knowledge of the game in Scotland and someone who has relatively modern ideas, rather than another old guy who has been round the block a few times. Even then the chances of success are probably 50/50, as we. have seen with Rennie and Sheeran.  

Bottom line is, I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions !

🙌

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Totally separate issues- as far as I can see, the board have backed McGlynn to the hilt (to the extent of allowing him to go over budget last season). The responsibility for the bizarre recruitment, stubborn tactics and ultimately poor results lays purely at McGlynn’s door.

The only criticism that could be levelled at the board is their failure to remove him following the Airdrie game. However, I can understand why the decision was made to keep him due to the financial implications and uncertainty involved in replacing him. 

The early indications are that he has failed to learn from last season and the board could well be left with a decision to make.

👍

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

If what I wrote is nonsense (giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did read and understand) tell me what conversations McGlynn had with agents, other clubs and players regarding pursuing a RB. 

And my response to that is why does it matter? I don’t think anyone could say we don’t need a right back, and now the budget is spent and we don’t have one!! Regardless if JM identified 1 or 101 right backs and they’ve all turned us down it’s pretty inexcusable to then spend the budget on a 5th centre back and a 5th player who can play as a striker don’t you think? Especially whilst sticking to a 4-2-3-1 formation that requires full backs. 

1 minute ago, JulioBairn said:

I asked this question before and was tactically ignored so I’ll try again. Do any of the peddlers of doom actually think we’ll start the league campaign without bringing in a right back?

We probably will but it will be an unknown youngster on loan. I.e a panic signing that doesn’t really give as a solid foundation to build a team from.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Wanting your manager sacked after losing a friendly by 1 goal to a team in the league above you. 

What a website this truly is.

?? that's quite a distortion of the discussion and its context.  You should write for the papers. 

4 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

We probably will but it will be an unknown youngster on loan. I.e a panic signing that doesn’t really give as a solid foundation to build a team from.

Or a loan signing that is better than any of the players we could sign permanently?

6 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

If we start the season without a Right Back il be full of anger. But I don't think the logic stands up here. I think that's pre emptively setting up to criticise. There's no indication that we haven't tried to full RB. There's only indication that we thus far haven't managed to get one that's good enough over the line. That's not an uncommon issue in transfer windows. 

5 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I asked this question before and was tactically ignored so I’ll try again. Do any of the peddlers of doom actually think we’ll start the league campaign without bringing in a right back?

It’s a real possibility if the manager is to be believed and that the budget has been used. The only other realistic options are a very cheap or free loan, or by moving on a player or two to free up some wages.

I don’t know about anyone else but personally speaking I take no pleasure in voicing my concerns about how imbalanced the squad is right now, I’d much rather we were preparing for this season in the championship instead of worrying that if we don’t get promotion from league one at the umpteenth attempt this season we could be in a horrible mess financially. 

Mcglynn signed 18 players last season and another 7 this summer, to have positions where you have little to no players to play in positions in a formation you’ve almost always stuck with has be concerning surely?

23 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

And my response to that is why does it matter? I don’t think anyone could say we don’t need a right back, and now the budget is spent and we don’t have one!! Regardless if JM identified 1 or 101 right backs and they’ve all turned us down it’s pretty inexcusable to then spend the budget on a 5th centre back and a 5th player who can play as a striker don’t you think? Especially whilst sticking to a 4-2-3-1 formation that requires full backs. 

I don't disagree with any of that however, you've completely missed my point. Some folk have been claiming that he didn't prioritise a RB or hasn't put in the graft to sign one when they don't have any idea of what's gone on.

We certainly need a RB however, and IMO, the reports that he isn't setting the team up any differently to last season and is apparently still persisting with one up front (I haven't seen any games so far) is far more concerning.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If we start the season without a Right Back il be full of anger. But I don't think the logic stands up here. I think that's pre emptively setting up to criticise. There's no indication that we haven't tried to full RB. There's only indication that we thus far haven't managed to get one that's good enough over the line. That's not an uncommon issue in transfer windows. 

Correct. Michael Doyle's available right enough!