The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

McKay was ok at right back. It's not his natural position and it showed, again not his fault he's having to cover there.

13 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Finn Yeats is never a right back and I don't want to see him there again. It's not his fault he's having to cover there

In the games I've seen this season (CSS and DU in the flesh, PT and Spartans highlights) it's not the full-back areas that are being exposed - It's our two centre-backs who are taking too many risks!

I'd rather Donaldson dribbled it forward than try the diagonal and conversely from what I've seen of Lang I'd prefer he opted to clear-into-touch instead of playing others into trouble.

That's consecutive games he's thrown team-mates under the bus - Embarrassed Long last night and Spencer's unnecessary suspension when he looks like he'll be integral to how we want to play.

Edited by Blame Me

1 minute ago, Blame Me said:

In the games I've seen this season (CSS and DU in the flesh, PT and Spartans highlights) it's not the full-back areas that are being exposed - It's our two centre-backs who are taking too many risks!

I'd rather Donaldson dribbled it forward than try the diagonal and conversely from what I've seen of Lang I'd prefer he opted to clear-into-touch instead of playing others into trouble.

That's consecutive games he's thrown team-mates under the bus - Embarrassed Long and Spencer's unnecessary suspension when he looks like he'll be integral to how we want to play.

Donaldsons diagonals arent the issue. Its the waiting and waiting before playing a straight pass into the feet of someone who is being closesly marked, thanks to the delay and who has no pass on. Often, aswell as losing possession himself, Donaldson completes his pass but to someone who has no hope of finding a blue shirt themselves. 

Donaldson looked out of his depth against Strollers in our friendly never mind last night where he was utter dross in the first half.

He needs a serious kick up the arse. He has started like he finished last season and even for league 1 it isn't good enough.

Thought last night was actually OK. Played some decent stuff in the first half and looked well on top the last 15.

So frustrating watching the passes along the back line, craigen called it moments before the mistake for their goal. A mistake that will hopefully be learned from

Alfie reminds me of hippolyte, flashes of utter brilliance and then in the same sweeping move can totally f**k it. Hopefully full time training will iron those issues out. 

Mcginn, sadly, looked anonymous, thankfully we have Spencer to come back in. 

Didn't even realise mcivor was on the pitch the first half. Would like to see Allan get a shout purely on The basis that I've not seen enough of him to make a judgement yet for whatever reason that is. 

Beat peterhead on Saturday and Spartans get any sort of result against Partick and ten we are through. 

Singing section looked class on the tele, well done. 

2 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

... So frustrating watching the passes along the back line, craigen called it moments before the mistake for their goal. A mistake that will hopefully be learned from

I am not holding out much hope!

McKay was caught under the ball on 3 or 4 occasions allowing their left winger to get away. I think his positional sense is his biggest fault, as we saw in the semi final. 

I don't think McGlynn sees RB as his 'best' position either, he's just having to throw him in there because he hasn't signed one. 

4 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I think Lang is a much better Player than that to not learn. At least next time a have a look up before passing across the face of goal, or better still, don't do it at all. 

Just don't do it at all! A few minjtes earlier he nearly og'd with an almost identical pass back, so either he isnt learning, or McGynn has told him that's what he has to do

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

McKay did nothing wrong in that 2nd half and was the closest we came to scoring!

I'm no fan of his but I think some people see the name on the shirt and have written their comments on here before kick off.

He was right in front of us and was dreadful. He gets beat in the air too often for a guy of his size. At one his aimless effort at punting clear but hitting it straight off another player nearly cost us and he should've scored. He should only be used in dire emergencies.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

McKay did nothing wrong in that 2nd half and was the closest we came to scoring!

I'm no fan of his but I think some people see the name on the shirt and have written their comments on here before kick off.

Jesus Christ 😂.

No wonder folk have written him off after having to endure him for 2 full seasons.

Bombscare at the back.

There really is no difference between McKay or Donaldson, I think it's a case of shaking the tin and picking the first one that falls out.

It's so obvious that it's the RCB and RB that is our problem. I recall that I once read an article that said there was always a surplus of good defenders available and the only real problematic position was to land a regular score scorer.

I think we can get away with a poor RB but we need a more competent CB, if not we are relying on scoring more than we concede.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Donaldson is a better defender than Mckay for me. There just needs to be work done on when he releases the ball and to whom. 

I agree, he's a competent defender, he has very little urgency though. The fannying about needs to be coached out of him. He needs to move the ball quicker and realise that there's a player on the touchline that he can use to do that from time to time. His laid back style doesn't help right enough.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I agree, he's a competent defender, he has very little urgency though. The fannying about needs to be coached out of him. He needs to move the ball quicker and realise that there's a player on the touchline that he can use to do that from time to time. His laid back style doesn't help right enough.

He seems to be blind to Yeats on the right when he has the ball. It’s often the more positive pass. Yeats ends up yelling for it but still doesn’t get it. Is it a lack of confidence in passing so he releases it to his left mostly or doesn’t he trust Yeats? I don’t know. I don’t think Donaldson is useless but this frustrates me. 

Thought last night was pretty much a carbon copy of the second half of last season. Donaldson annoys the life out of me, far too slow on distributing it, and rarely plays the simple pass out to Yates often in acres of space.

No idea why Morrison was subbed off, he was a threat all first half. Lawal and Oliver completely missing and McGinn is past it for me.

Thought Lang looked a cut above and not seen Spencer in the flesh yet, but only heard good things about him too. 

We are so much better when we just are direct rather than passing around at the back endlessly.

10 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

He seems to be blind to Yeats on the right when he has the ball. It’s often the more positive pass. Yeats ends up yelling for it but still doesn’t get it. Is it a lack of confidence in passing so he releases it to his left mostly or doesn’t he trust Yeats? I don’t know. I don’t think Donaldson is useless but this frustrates me. 

He was exactly the same with Rowe last season, so I don't think it's anything to do with Yeats as such. 

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

I dont necessarily disagree with what you say, I just don't think either looks comfortable there but are having to play there out of necessity. As a result we lose a lot of attacking threat down that side, again just like last season. 

Surely there's a right back available somewhere? 

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Donaldson is a better defender than Mckay for me. There just needs to be work done on when he releases the ball and to whom. 

I agree he's a better defender but he's been a professional footballer for a number of years, he should know by now when to release and to who