The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

The League Cup is the real stuff!

Not really. Lot of teams trying things out getting used to new setups etc. Players honing their match fitness etc. The league campaign is where you find out where you really are in the grand scheme of things. Even Alex Harris looked okay in the league cup.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

Not really. Lot of teams trying things out getting used to new setups etc. Players honing their match fitness etc. The league campaign is where you find out where you really are in the grand scheme of things. Even Alex Harris looked okay in the league cup.

Last season we were chuffed as f*ck because we got out of our group which included Hibs and Morton. This season we're pissed off because it looks like we might not qualify and miss out on the extra money. The league cup is real enough Shodwall.

27 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I know what you’re saying but not sure I agree with that.

We certainly set up to win the matches and progress as I’m sure every club does. Results can be a bit hard to judge how teams will do in the league as they are still building squads but I don’t think you can just dismiss anything from it, positive or negative.

From what you say then it would mean we can’t take anything good that we’ve done in the League Cup and any good player performance effectively means nothing? 

Edited by Van_damage

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Only losing one game a season out of 4 is decent enough I'd say. You look at st Johnstone. They've been hopeless since they won it.

Imo if you are a premiership,championship or even a full time league 1 club and you aren't getting out of the group stage in this tournament you've done poorly imo and should be doing better 

11 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Imo if you are a premiership,championship or even a full time league 1 club and you aren't getting out of the group stage in this tournament you've done poorly imo and should be doing better 

Imo Hamilton are a wee diddy club.

7 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Think that's why McGlynn hardly played him last season, positionally he's a loose cannon. Obviously in some games you can afford that luxury but he really needs to work on that side of the game.

Loose cannon a bit of a wild point to suggest, the full midfield was gash on Tuesday.

Ola isn't a wide player as some have suggested and he's not a box to box or defensive mid. I think McGlynn is trying to get some of the above into his game, going by the Partick game but for me his best features are unlocking defence from an attacking mid.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Heard from a friend that Stirling have been playing some good stuff

I said before a ball was kicked that I didn't think they will be mugs this season and will surprise a few. There is a lot to take from winning most weeks and winning promotion.

As for tomorrow, I don't see why we shouldn't go for it, 2 up top and aim to score a few..... We won't though 😶😶

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

As for tomorrow, I don't see why we shouldn't go for it, 2 up top and aim to score a few..... We won't though

Not sure we'll see the shape change but this is my thoughts. 

Given last season's failures in games where it was "must win" I'm keen to see if that's developed as it's clear we need a good result - not just a win - and hope that the other game goes our way to give us a chance of progressing.

Approach it like a dead-rubber or get sucker punched as we did against Airdrie and Dunfermline respectively and that will be a bigger indicator of how I think our season will go, for me.

Edited by Blame Me

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Ahh the good old days

Screenshot_20230728_203147_Photos.jpg

37 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

You can almost smell that picture 🤣

As soon as I saw it, I got an overpowering stench of stale pish on my nostrils😆

Happy days. The youngsters will never know...

6 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Hamilton and Stirling always seem to do pretty well in the league cup.  Previous two seasons both have came second in their group only losing the one game on each occasion. Thankfully it seems to have little connection to how they do in the league.

We really were crap in the league last season right enough. Only won it by a few points.

48 minutes ago, gmca said:

We really were crap in the league last season right enough. Only won it by a few points.

The year before you had exactly the same record in the league cup and came 7th. League cup form doesn't mean anything really.

Edited by Shodwall cat