The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I've mentioned this before and that was without any first hand experience like what you had. I just think it's really obvious. The example I used at the time was that massive advert along the North Stand that remained as Imperial Cars long after they disappeared. Folk rabbitted on about KK and his connections but as it turns out, he was fiddling while Rome burned as well. 

Imperial Cars! that's nothing. Bob Shaw had pitchside hoardings and programme adverts still showing for 3 seasons without any agreement and the companies promptly told his to get out when he came calling for the cash as did the board to Bob Shaw when they found out

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Imperial Cars! that's nothing. Bob Shaw had pitchside hoardings and programme adverts still showing for 3 seasons without any agreement and the companies promptly told his to get out when he came calling for the cash as did the board to Bob Shaw when they found out

Did he not have a 100% record as a manager though😀

36 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I love the fact that they'll sell every square inch! I saw the thing about the captain's armband being sponsored and thought "f**k, why didn't I think of that!"

To be fair to Kieran, he did that too and to be honest, I wish him all the best. He worked hard in his role and brought in a lot of money. We didn’t always see eye to eye but The last year or so he was under a lot of pressure which didn’t help. There’s never been any hard feelings and he was one of the first to congratulate us when we got the CI campaign over the line. 

The new team are doing brilliantly though. Really nice guys, good to deal with and doing amazing work for the club. 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I love the fact that they'll sell every square inch! I saw the thing about the captain's armband being sponsored and thought "f**k, why didn't I think of that!"

It was actually plan B for the captains armband sponsorship but I’m glad we’ve got it as it’s pretty quirky. We originally were going to sponsor the corner flags but someone had done it the day before 😂. We just wanted to use the merch money we had on something quirky than run of the mill stuff like a players shirt or boots. 

59f48dfd-7220-4d16-8632-b5be51af0ec6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

The Captains' armband has been available for sponsorship for a few years, on a game by game basis. Just that the Falkirk Daft guys have got in there and are  doing it for the whole season.

Just to clarify mate, it still is available “match by match” officially as a match day hospitality option. We’ve sponsored it for the season in terms of our logo being on them all (inc those going to the match day armband sponsor too) so the club can still sell the package match by match whereby they’ll get a table for 4 in hospitality plus a framed picture of McGinn wearing the armband and the armband signed by McGinn too with our logo on). We’ll get the exposure every home game through social media & the club get more sponsorship from the one source. We’ve also asked that as part of the deal that McGinn (or Donaldson) give an armband away at the end of every match to a young fan. 

Win/Win. 

47 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Not really. Not even close. Current membership is 720, so 720 members x £3 a week x 52 weeks a year = £112,000 a year rather than £80,000.

The number of individual members paying more than £10 is pretty small. The base case is £120 divided by 52 is £2.30 a week. To get to £3 would require an individual increase of something like 30% over the current base case.

Take it to the end of the rainbow (2500 paying £3 a week). That’s £390,000.

I hadn't worked it out, I just knew that the minimum payment was £10 monthly and that some folk would be paying more so assumed that's where the £3 figure came from.

On 02/08/2023 at 08:04, FK1Bairn said:

We absolutely need a right back. We also needed a new CH, CM and strikers, all of which we got. Ideally we would have got a RB at the same time. 

Hypothetically, if it was a choice of a RB above one of what we brought in who would you not have signed? 

I'm not sure we needed two young keepers maybe a more experienced one but I think the budget whatever it was could have been better managed by McGlynn to allow us to still have some funds left for a right back, he will have known what it was, for me and I could be wrong he's pushed the boat out further to get the likes of Lang, Spencer and Miller. But as others have said giving Nesbitt another two year contract was folly allied to others triggering extensions or being unable to shift others hasn't helped. Factor in what's looking like a transfer fee wasted on Allan it's not difficult to see we are a bit hamstrung. 

8 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I'm not sure we needed two young keepers maybe a more experienced one but I think the budget whatever it was could have been better managed by McGlynn to allow us to still have some funds left for a right back, he will have known what it was, for me and I could be wrong he's pushed the boat out further to get the likes of Lang, Spencer and Miller. But as others have said giving Nesbitt another two year contract was folly allied to others triggering extensions or being unable to shift others hasn't helped. Factor in what's looking like a transfer fee wasted on Allan it's not difficult to see we are a bit hamstrung. 

Let me understand this correctly then; you think we shouldn't have signed the two keepers but just one, more experienced one? That would have left us with one keeper and an academy laddie, yes? Presumably the experienced keeper would have cost more than Hogarth as well?

From Lang, Spencer and Miller, who would you not have signed in order to sign a RB and would you not look to replace that player or would you bring in a cheaper option that's not as good?

You wouldn't have re-signed Nesbitt, which is fair enough, but, again, would you not replace him or would you bring in an inferior player? 

You think the transfer fee for Allan was a waste, which I'm inlcined to agree with (can't have been much though), but would you have gone into the season without that striker option or would you have been looking to bring in someone else (which would have cost a wage)?

33 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

It was actually plan B for the captains armband sponsorship but I’m glad we’ve got it as it’s pretty quirky. We originally were going to sponsor the corner flags but someone had done it the day before 😂. We just wanted to use the merch money we had on something quirky than run of the mill stuff like a players shirt or boots. 

59f48dfd-7220-4d16-8632-b5be51af0ec6.jpeg

Come on guys.  A bit of pride for Christ's sake. 

I know that Falkirk FC is inexplicably short of money, but seeing every bit of the club prostituted in this way makes me weep for you.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Come on guys.  A bit of pride for Christ's sake. 

I know that Falkirk FC is inexplicably short of money, but seeing every bit of the club prostituted in this way makes me weep for you.

These relentless, cripplingly boring "fishing trips" can't possibly be enjoyable for you?

20 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Let me understand this correctly then; you think we shouldn't have signed the two keepers but just one, more experienced one? That would have left us with one keeper and an academy laddie, yes? Presumably the experienced keeper would have cost more than Hogarth as well?

From Lang, Spencer and Miller, who would you not have signed in order to sign a RB and would you not look to replace that player or would you bring in a cheaper option that's not as good?

You wouldn't have re-signed Nesbitt, which is fair enough, but, again, would you not replace him or would you bring in an inferior player? 

You think the transfer fee for Allan was a waste, which I'm inlcined to agree with (can't have been much though), but would you have gone into the season without that striker option or would you have been looking to bring in someone else (which would have cost a wage)?

I personally like Miller so far, but tbh a right back should have been signed before him. Allan is looking like a waste of money because he dosent fit in with Mcglynns style of play and so far it dosent look like Mcglynn will change. So the Allan money could have been spent on a striker that Mcglynn would actually start. I don’t know what the extension triggers for McGinn and Oliver were but imo it should have been if we got promoted, which I believe was thr criteria for other players we have signed previously. We could have also used some of Nesbitt’s wages to sign someone like a Scott Martin. Like you said we need at least two keepers regardless so no money could have realistically been saved. No manager is perfect, but Mcglynn has not been as prudent with the budget as he should have been. Whether that will cost us come the end of the season is yet to be seen. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I've mentioned this before and that was without any first hand experience like what you had. I just think it's really obvious. The example I used at the time was that massive advert along the North Stand that remained as Imperial Cars long after they disappeared. Folk rabbitted on about KK and his connections but as it turns out, he was fiddling while Rome burned aswell. 

Imperial cars were paying a monthly fee of several thousand pounds over a three year deal. They were taken over by Cazoo during the time the deal was ongoing. They continued to honour the deal and pay the monthly fees, but had no interest in paying to rebrand the stand in their own name as all their marketing was focussed on their English operations. That information came from a member of staff who followed KK and tried to get them to renew once the deal ended. The Imperial Cars staff who now worked for Cazoo wanted to do it, but their head office across the border wouldn't sanction it. 

I think the external Imperial branding was only taken down when the new signs for CR Smith were erected, as that was the most cost-effective way for the club to do it.