The Falkirk FC Thread

44 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He was our best player (along with Lang) on Saturday, coped very well with anything thrown at him. I do feel that he's maybe struggled a wee bit in some other games, with teams targeting him as a potential weak link. He's definitely improving though. I love the guy's attitude, always looks for the ball, never hides. I like him.

Concur entirely with these sentiments. Also worth observing that Leon didn’t have one of his best games on Saturday which is very unusual for a guy who is always an 8 out of 10 but hey everyone is allowed an off day now & then. I predict we will win comfortably by couple of goals in next game at NDP 🙌

11 hours ago, GMBairn said:

That's a good gesture by the players & management team. You wouldn't see many people signing up to donate money to their own salaries effectively. 

I saw the FSS message re the Paypal thing.  I had no idea Paypal took so much - £4K per year! -to be fair I'm a bit ignorant on this sort of stuff so well done to FSS for highlighting it) - so I've changed to Standing Order.   

Also decided to double my monthly donation - I'm down South so don't get to games that much so least I can do.  

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

He was our best player (along with Lang) on Saturday, coped very well with anything thrown at him. I do feel that he's maybe struggled a wee bit in some other games, with teams targeting him as a potential weak link. He's definitely improving though. I love the guy's attitude, always looks for the ball, never hides. I like him.

Great recovery when somebody gets past him and gets back in position also helped by being as hard as nails.

He's got that bit bit of instant pace that makes the difference bit like Stuart Kennedy in that department.

Big future in the game.

Have to say I was sceptical about yeats at right back but he's been coming on every week and is doing great now.

Probably helped his progress having teams target him every week and it's clear bisland will struggle to get any game time. 

Guest FFC1965

Just switched my FSS payment to SO from paypal and have doubled it to £20 p.m.  

I gave up my ST at the start of this season as I've only able to attend about 1/3rd of home games in the last three years so my £240 pa to FSS plus my occasional PATG this season will cost me broadly the same as my ST did previously.  

Ive not followed the minutae of the AGM stuff and I might be a tad over optimistic here but it strikes me that the clubs finances can be just about balanced through a combination of (i) increased subs to FSS (ii) a pruning of the squad (McGinn & McKay for example are a wasted wage right now even if we cant move players on til Jan or May 24) and (iii) increased commercial revenue (matchday hospitality and attendances simply must be materially ahead of forecast and will remain so for as long as were in the hunt for the title)   

While Ive no problem putting my hand in my pocket, the constant portayal of a £400k operating loss as something of a non negotiable in Club comms does rather grate.  

17 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Have to say I was sceptical about yeats at right back but he's been coming on every week and is doing great now.

Probably helped his progress having teams target him every week and it's clear bisland will struggle to get any game time. 

Bisland will have a part to play I think. Finn is direct cover for holding midfield, but he's also sort of indirect cover if Hendo ever has to step into the back 4. Plus, given that Finn isn't shy in the tackle, he'll get a suspension or two even leaving aside injury potential. 

1 hour ago, FFC1965 said:

Just switched my FSS payment to SO from paypal and have doubled it to £20 p.m.  

I gave up my ST at the start of this season as I've only able to attend about 1/3rd of home games in the last three years so my £240 pa to FSS plus my occasional PATG this season will cost me broadly the same as my ST did previously.  

Ive not followed the minutae of the AGM stuff and I might be a tad over optimistic here but it strikes me that the clubs finances can be just about balanced through a combination of (i) increased subs to FSS (ii) a pruning of the squad (McGinn & McKay for example are a wasted wage right now even if we cant move players on til Jan or May 24) and (iii) increased commercial revenue (matchday hospitality and attendances simply must be materially ahead of forecast and will remain so for as long as were in the hunt for the title)   

While Ive no problem putting my hand in my pocket, the constant portayal of a £400k operating loss as something of a non negotiable in Club comms does rather grate.  

Agree with most of what you say regarding the AGM and this 400k figure, in reality this season the operating loss is more like 320k (projected) which should be covered via cash reserves in the short term and I agree a combination of the things you mention would probably close that funding gap going forward as would a cup run or promotion but I think the point being pushed at the AGM with this figure of 400k is more that’s the target number they are aiming at to not just make us sustainable but to actually kick us on and allow us to compete with teams above who are backed by wealthy owners or in the worst case scenario should let us maintain our current playing budget should we remain in this division next year. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

14 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Finn Yeats

Are all the doubters convinced that he has become an asset at right back or does he still need to develop more?

He certainly nulified the threat down the right wing on Saturday.

He’s been excellent for the most part and is continuously improving, has had one or two dodgy moments as well but so has Leon on the opposite flank yet he never seems to be picked up on a mistake to the same level Finn is on here. I can see Finn Yates kicking on and becoming an excellent right back for us, it speaks volumes for him Bisland can’t get a sniff. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

18 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Agree with most of what you say regarding the AGM and this 400k figure, in reality this season the operating loss is more like 320k (projected) which should be covered via cash reserves in the short term but I agree a combination of the things you mention would probably close that going forward as would a cup run or promotion. I think the point being pushed at the AGM with this figure of 400k is that’s the target number they are aiming at to not just make us sustainable but to actually kick us on and allow us to compete with teams above who are backed by wealthy owners or in the worst case scenario should let us maintain our current playing budget should we remain in this division next year. 

Exactly right, this is the point that always seems to be lost and unless I'm wrong it includes rebuilding the academy.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm glad it's the Diddy cup cos I'm working. Rest for Spencer, Lang, Leon, Finn, McIver and Morrison please. 

My thoughts exactly, get the sentiment of keeping the undefeated run going but not worth risking key players in my opinion.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

2 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Agree with the above regarding resting players, a shame as I actually think the tie is winnable if we were to play our strongest team.

We went down to Ayrshire with a number of key players missing and won easily. Expect the unexpected... 🤞

Would only expect 3 maybe 4 changes for Saturday. McGlynn set his stall out at Ayr by playing a fairly strong team and that was only 4 days after another league game. Maybe Allan, Hogarth, Ross, Mackie to start. Possibly Lawal too

Edited by bairn88