The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Going by the calibre of signings we've made in large I think our budget is not as high as many think. The directors gave the wish of football time football but looking at the ponds (more like swamps) we were fishing in pre-season it's clear that we're paying peanuts to some/many. I counted about 40 trialists in pre-season. Outside our first XI it's kids and guys desperate to stay in FT football. Many there last chance before going PT. Likes of;

Rio Davidson-Phipps

Will Gillingham

Dayshonne Golding

Luke Strachan

Arron Darge

Kyle Connell

Mark Gallagher

Tyler Mykyta

Milo Ochmanski

That's 9 but there are a couple of others

Granted we'll be paying decent wages to some our new signings (Burrell, McGowan, Doyle) and won't be a too distant from you and Accies in wage bill. That's my thought but plausibly being fairly Northern and Hartley doing the recruitment could well equate to us being less than efficient with our cash.

Under 600 people at your game Saturday and a wage bill, let’s say, on a par with us. It doesn’t add to anything like FairPlay rules (Scotland doesn’t seem to have any) 

8 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

Under 600 people at your game Saturday and a wage bill, let’s say, on a par with us. It doesn’t add to anything like FairPlay rules (Scotland doesn’t seem to have any) 

Our attendances have been miserable so far this season. Minus Stranraer v Elgin and Edinburgh v Mo we were the lowest in the SPFL last weekend..Dipped from last time we were in L1 even and constantly around 500-600. 

There's potential to grow our fan base and attendances but not enough is being done by the club in this regard. Never on the radio, marketing ourselves in the local media or doing PR events.

We need to grow that eventually, goes without saying.

Anyone thinking it’s done and dusted and a two horse race, I would disagree with. Yes both ourselves and Hamilton have set the pace, but expect Qs Montrose Cove to start picking up points. Saturday was a kindly reminder that points will be dropped and as earlier posted, we’re in a fantastic run of form, but a few draws and others picking up wins and the gap quickly shortens. If we are still in the same place going into Q4, I’ll be a very happy guy. 

45 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Anyone thinking it’s done and dusted and a two horse race, I would disagree with. Yes both ourselves and Hamilton have set the pace, but expect Qs Montrose Cove to start picking up points. Saturday was a kindly reminder that points will be dropped and as earlier posted, we’re in a fantastic run of form, but a few draws and others picking up wins and the gap quickly shortens. If we are still in the same place going into Q4, I’ll be a very happy guy. 

Falkirk will win the League Hamilton 2nd you are  miles in front of anyone else  hope you are right Queens start picking up points. 

You really missed Morrison on the wing on Saturday he is always your best player anytime I see Falkirk play .

17 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Falkirk will win the League Hamilton 2nd you are  miles in front of anyone else  hope you are right Queens start picking up points. 

You really missed Morrison on the wing on Saturday he is always your best player anytime I see Falkirk play .

Will be interesting to see how queen's get on at alloa this week. Alloa had a decent result last week but have hardly laid a glove on us in two games. Will queen's build on their good performance against us or resort to their previous struggles

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Given that they're 17 points below us, I'd be happy if QoS start to pick up points because they'll possibly be doing that against teams like Montrose and Cove who are much closer too us.

Even if Montrose win their game in hand we'll still be 9 points ahead of them and I think the likes of Alloa, Kelty, Stirling will all be capable of taking points from them too.

I think Cove may emerge as the team most likely to break into our space but, as I say, I think that the other clubs are capable of taking points from them.

Having said that, whilst we have been great so far, I think it important that McGlynn develops a different strategy in the event that the other clubs suss us out, which is quite likely actually.

48 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Given that they're 17 points below us, I'd be happy if QoS start to pick up points because they'll possibly be doing that against teams like Montrose and Cove who are much closer too us.

Even if Montrose win their game in hand we'll still be 9 points ahead of them and I think the likes of Alloa, Kelty, Stirling will all be capable of taking points from them too.

I think Cove may emerge as the team most likely to break into our space but, as I say, I think that the other clubs are capable of taking points from them.

Having said that, whilst we have been great so far, I think it important that McGlynn develops a different strategy in the event that the other clubs suss us out, which is quite likely actually.

As it stands at present the league doesn’t lie, and it’s good to hear other fans kind words. Great start and some of the best football since dropping down. Probably the best chance in the past five years for gaining promotion. However I’ve no doubt that Cove will likely strengthen at the transfer window, as backed by a bottomless pit. Hamilton will most likely wheel and deal, which concerns me.

Teams will sit happily with 11 behind the ball, as we will see on Saturday. The point I was making, leagues aren’t won at the end of October, and no matter how good we’ve been, I’m sure the challengers will strengthen somewhat, where we haven’t a bean to rub together.
Players like Lang, Spencer, Alfie, Ross, Morrison, McIver & Miller will be key to keeping us on top. 
Agree with many that have made comments about having (not having)a plan B, and also agree that Allan may be the player going out on loan to try and get someone in. 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As it stands at present the league doesn’t lie, and it’s good to hear other fans kind words. Great start and some of the best football since dropping down. Probably the best chance in the past five years for gaining promotion. However I’ve no doubt that Cove will likely strengthen at the transfer window, as backed by a bottomless pit. Hamilton will most likely wheel and deal, which concerns me.

Teams will sit happily with 11 behind the ball, as we will see on Saturday. The point I was making, leagues aren’t won at the end of October, and no matter how good we’ve been, I’m sure the challengers will strengthen somewhat, where we haven’t a bean to rub together.
Players like Lang, Spencer, Alfie, Ross, Morrison, McIver & Miller will be key to keeping us on top. 
Agree with many that have made comments about having (not having)a plan B, and also agree that Allan may be the player going out on loan to try and get someone in. 

I think Allan, lawal and McKay all have a very good chance of going out on loan come January. Assuming we keep Ethan Ross, I think we should strengthen the spine of the team - CB (cover) Cm and a striker.

5 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I think Allan, lawal and McKay all have a very good chance of going out on loan come January. Assuming we keep Ethan Ross, I think we should strengthen the spine of the team - CB (cover) Cm and a striker.

Ross is gaining fitness and like Miller has great feet and a footballing brain. Wouldn’t be surprised if he keeps his fitness and overall form, he”ll be recalled by RR. For me that would be a loss as he can easily filter through two or three slots.
The three you mention are most likely candidates for loan, however McKay looks like he’s a recurring injury that would keep him here. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Ross is gaining fitness and like Miller has great feet and a footballing brain. Wouldn’t be surprised if he keeps his fitness and overall form, he”ll be recalled by RR. For me that would be a loss as he can easily filter through two or three slots.
The three you mention are most likely candidates for loan, however McKay looks like he’s a recurring injury that would keep him here. 

If McKay wants a club next season he has to start playing games. Injured or not now he would daft not to go and play somewhere in January for his own good. He ain’t play at Falkirk unless we get 4 injured defenders 

Guest FFC1965

Seems likely that the approach of pretty much every team bar us and HAFC will change as the season evolves - some like Cove & Montrose to press for a playoff spot and others to try and tighten up and avoid relegation.  

Its the latter category that worries me a bit - but only a little as we are moving the ball far far quicker this season and as a result we're harder to repel.   That said Edinburgh will be no pushovers on Saturday and a lot of our remaining home games will be like that.  COYB     

2 hours ago, Big chungus said:

All the extra coaching that Ola has been getting has had made him worse, not better. He doesn't seem to have that spark of spontaneity and that something different that he had before, it has been coached out of him.

They need to take the shackles off and let Ola be Ola.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

I'd let McKay go on loan in January if he isn't injured. If Allan goes on loan it's who do you bring in upfront that's going to get you ie 8-10 goals and probably not a starter. I'd also say if he does go I'd be very surprised if he gets a club in the championship so that leaves league 1 or 2. Do you let him go to a club in this league? I'd keep Lawal because he has it in his locker to do something out of nothing . It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ross if he goes back to Raith or stays, a lot will depend on what their squad depth is like come January . And McGinn doesn't look like he's going to kick a ball for us anytime soon. So I'd say a centre half, forward and midfielder/winger required in January. 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The only one of those I'd let go on loan as things stand is McKay. All the others will have plenty to offer as the year goes on, and injuries and suspensions build up.

I'd agree, we don't have a particularly deep squad so i'd be pretty surprised if we go any lighter into January unless it's to jettison McKay. One or two injuries and we're struggling to fill the bench. 

I’d also be looking to get Allan away in January. This is mainly because Mcglynn’s system, which we know he will not differ from, brings out nothing from Allan. If Maciver is injured we’d have to change the whole setup of the team as Allan cannot play the lone role. I’d therefore be very much in the market for a player who can do that. 

27 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I’d also be looking to get Allan away in January. This is mainly because Mcglynn’s system, which we know he will not differ from, brings out nothing from Allan. If Maciver is injured we’d have to change the whole setup of the team as Allan cannot play the lone role. I’d therefore be very much in the market for a player who can do that. 

Would Gary Oliver not step in?