The Falkirk FC Thread

Professional display against a well organised wall of eleven players. Ross goal was excellent and McGlynn has pulled a rabbit out the bag with him. Absolutely Baltic and probably knocked a few hundred off gate. Would take another home tie and not really fussed who we get, but preference would be a lower league club so that we can make further advances. On a side note has the FSS confirmed latest membership nos?

Edited by Springfield

12 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Haven't heard it, however surely an issue putting 5 subs on in one go and not leaving any options, Finn was limping for half an hour?

I'm really surprised with that move.

What was wrong with calling Fin over to the dugout & assessing his injury? They were 3 up & extremely comfortable. Even if it meant withdrawing him & playing the game out with 10! They may have exacerbated the problem by keeping him on!

I wanted a starting line up to have the less played players in it but Formartine raised their game and packed the box. It took our better players to break it down. So plan 2 bring on the subs all 5 which I applauded but they really weren’t that good if we’re honest. Ok hit the bar twice second half but Owal playing in an odd position ( presumably to fit him in) and Jordan still not a one man up front sort of guy. I feel for him but he will ask away at Xmas I bet. 
i would have taken Yeats off when he was hobbling. We wouldn’t have lost much with ten men - Formatine didn’t manage a shot on target for the entire game. 

14 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It would have to be because we have no other alternatives.

14 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Yes little bit worrying that. But still hope that Spencer and Finn could be fit for it. If not maybe a midfield of Mackie and Nesbitt??

The way we setup I think we have enough midfield cover. With Miller Ross Morrison in behind MacIver, Nesbitt would likely move back in front of the back four. The question is who plays alongside Nesbitt, Finn if fit, or Mackie who’s played there albeit to get his fitness back up. Lawal also could play there but the lad seems low on form just now. And this still leaves us with Alfie as an extra , but not sure if he’d be suited to playing in front of the defence. 

Edited by GunnerBairn

Is it just me or are we sometimes too transparent with regards to letting the fans know who is injured and who is likely to miss a game etc.?

Surely we should keep the opposition guessing up to the last minute that Spencer or Yeats or whoever are going to miss out through injury? Or is McGlynn pulling a master-stoke and putting false info out into the public domain and one or both of them are going to be able to play? 🤔

2 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

The way we setup I think we have enough midfield cover. With Miller Ross Morrison in behind MacIver, Nesbitt would likely move back in front of the back four. The question is who plays alongside Nesbitt, Finn if fit, or Mackie who’s played there albeit to get his fitness back up. Lawal also could play there but the lad seems low on form just now. And this still leaves us with Alfie as an extra , but not sure if he’d be suited to playing in front of the defence. 

None of them, except Mackie, offer any muscle in a defensive midfield role and none of us really know if Mackie would be any good in midfield. It's a worry for sure!

16 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Haven't heard it, however surely an issue putting 5 subs on in one go and not leaving any options, Finn was limping for half an hour?

I'm really surprised with that move.

Very strange thing to do.

Surely should have kept one sub back in case of injury.

22 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Is it just me or are we sometimes too transparent with regards to letting the fans know who is injured and who is likely to miss a game etc.?

Surely we should keep the opposition guessing up to the last minute that Spencer or Yeats or whoever are going to miss out through injury? Or is McGlynn pulling a master-stoke and putting false info out into the public domain and one or both of them are going to be able to play? 🤔

I get your point. However, can you imagine the complaints from the fans if Mcglynn never updated us on injuries? 

The 4th Round Scottish Cup Draw is tonight. Who do we want/not want? Home to win? Away for the trip? Money spinner but go out and focus on the league? Easy to get through?

There are 18 teams in the two leagues above us and 13 in  our league or below.

Personally I'd like a home tie against one of the 13, or Morton from the league above. So pretty much a 50/50 chance of a winnable tie. Enjoy a Scottish Cup run.

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The 4th Round Scottish Cup Draw is tonight. Who do we want/not want? Home to win? Away for the trip? Money spinner but go out and focus on the league? Easy to get through?

Personally I'd like a home tie against one of the 13, or Morton from the league above. So pretty much a 50/50 chance of a winnable tie. Enjoy a Scottish Cup run.

I always want an easy type fixture, I know the glamour ties make the club a few pounds but when we inevitably get to the final then loose the money takes care of itself anyway. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

5 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

One of the bigot brothers away or a non league team. Also I'd say that a game against any championship team is winnable, as we have proven already this season

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

None of them, except Mackie, offer any muscle in a defensive midfield role and none of us really know if Mackie would be any good in midfield. It's a worry for sure!

It’s going back to start of the season. Miller did replace Oliver at HT against Peterhead in the League Cup, and we went on to take control of the game and win convincingly after a poor first half. I’m certain Miller was the straight swap to play in front of the defence that day. Maybe an option.

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

It’s going back to start of the season. Miller did replace Oliver at HT against Peterhead in the League Cup, and we went on to take control of the game and win convincingly after a poor first half. I’m certain Miller was the straight swap to play in front of the defence that day. Maybe an option.

Nah he came on as the no.10. 

If yeats is ok it will be him and nesbitt in the pivot, with bisland at right back. Which would be fine I think. 

If yeats isn't fit then we have a problem because we are light on central midfielders, I don't think many of our attacking options would be that useful further back.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Would need to agree with other comments it would need to be Mackie alongside Nesbitt if fitness doesn’t fall our way. We’d be balanced that he’s left sided, with Nesbitt to the right.

Feel like Mackie could do a job there. If he’s sent out with the instruction to just nail players like he used to do at the start of last season he would be really effective. Hope Mcglynn tells him to keep it simple too, no need to try and be a Brad Spencer. His downfall is that he’s too rash. And when he plays Cb it’s noticeable because if he misses a tackle the opposition are through on goal. Playing in midfield might mean he’ll get away with a few of those, especially with BSTL mopping up any loose balls behind him. 

Edited by Big chungus

Yeats’ most difficult game this season was against Montrose when he was up against Lyons. Bisland I feel would get terrorised by him so would need extra support from Morrison. It is a worry, but we should focus on our attacking threat which IMO is the best in the league. You score 1, we score 2 approach. 

10 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Yeats’ most difficult game this season was against Montrose when he was up against Lyons. Bisland I feel would get terrorised by him so would need extra support from Morrison. It is a worry, but we should focus on our attacking threat which IMO is the best in the league. You score 1, we score 2 approach. 

Yeah would agree with that. Lyon’s certainly caused us problems down that side. I know we’ll be missing a couple of players but we’ll also have Calvin miller who was injured last time we played Montrose. Swings and roundabouts I guess.  I noticed last time we absolutely dominated Montrose with set pieces but never managed to get a goal from it. I definitely feel there’s a goal from a set piece available for us on Tuesday.