The Falkirk FC Thread

I wont think much about winning the league until we finish the 3rd Quarter. If we are still this far ahead then let the dreams begin. A few injuries and suspension and we know what could happen but with our squad hopefully not

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm not saying we should be winning promotion but it would be good to have a season where we are up challenging in the playoff area. Dunfermlines season seems to have turned into a struggle this year for instance and it will be interesting to see how their season tickets hold up if they were to end up mid table and not in the playoffs  come may.

I think that's a realistic target if all goes well this season. Nothing is won yet, obviously, but we're in such a strong position, and Accies know their title challenge is on life-support at this point. I'm not gonna put the players under any unnecessary pressure by asking for unbeaten seasons, but if we could even remain unbeaten until it's mathematically secured, I'm totally fine with them losing after that.

8 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Aye I've been hurt too many times before to go over the top. 

Whatever happens, I'm just happy to watch a team that plays with style, pace and gives a f**k. The last few years have totally battered my confidence. This time 2 years ago Martin Rennie played a back 5 at east Fife with Craig McGuffie playing at left wing back while Leon McCann sat on the bench 😂

This.

How many years down in this league have we been saying attack is the best form of defence? We were subserviant to too many teams, when we really shouldn't have been, as you mention that East Fife game, there were many others. It obviously helps that we have the players to do so, but a lot of it is in the mindset that McGlynn has instilled. I love the fact that we are now going at teams from the first minute to the last (look at the way we set up from the kick off v Cove and QoS (two goals pretty much at the start of second half), the opposition are now so concerned about us they've all changed their tactics to the point they are sitting in and not even trying to win (Bartley chuffed with just a 1-0 loss as an example) or getting any shots on target at all.

The other mentality I really like which the players (Coll & McGinn?) mentioned recently is that we are playing to take risks and win games rather than play for draws, its draws that kills you in this league. I'd rather lose a couple but get more 3 points, overall in the season it means you end up with more points and your opponents less.

9 hours ago, Balde Bairn said:

I can’t stand the “you are where you should be” that we hear aimed at us a lot. It’s usually aimed at us by the fans of the smaller clubs who are in the championship. We are where we are, it’s not where we should be. Not with the resources available to us. 

We are where we should be because we failed to win games of football. Years of mismanagement drove us to here and it is only the last 18 months that has seen us on an upward curve. We have no divine right to be anywhere. 

13 hours ago, Raybowski89 said:

So, what I'm hearing then is that we're absolutely guaranteed a fourth stand. Can't wait haha. In all seriousness, I'm not even sure how that would happen, as I read recently that Falkirk Council are currently running a 64M deficit, so I can't imagine they'll be keen to foot the bill. 

Any new stand will have nothing to do with the Council except planning permission.

I multi-quoted some comments about your crowd and "where you should be" comments over the last few pages, but they don't seem to be coming up.

Anyway, it's funny this should come up because only last weekend, my son was going through his usual YouTuber football channels watching videos. He came across one from last season, a 1-1 draw with Dunfermline at East End Park and my son loved watching the video as I was reading the paper and he came put with "Dad, where do you think these 2 clubs should be playing?". It's honestly my opinion that you (along with Dunfermline but I'll leave them out of this thread haha) should be SPL clubs. When you think about support, history, stadiums, growth, size of towns etc etc then I very much see Falkirk as that.

Obviously that's not the case and it's maybe a bit embarrassing for the club that you're not in the mix, sustaining it or yo-yoing between it, but that's probably Falkirk's natural position I would say, as an outsider.

Just my 2 pence worth.

52 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

We are where we should be because we failed to win games of football. Years of mismanagement drove us to here and it is only the last 18 months that has seen us on an upward curve. We have no divine right to be anywhere. 

No one is talking about divine rights though….but there are realistic expectations. Do Barcelona have a realistic expectation to be in La Liga? 

Falkirk in The Championship is something I would describe as a level we should be at, minimum (though the leagues are so small that this is now harder to gauge).

Now I like talking about hypotheticals as much as the next fan, but there's still a long way to go in this league before we can be sure we are in the Championship next season. 16 games or 48 points to be exact, given we'll only be 8 points ahead of Hamilton if they win their game in hand, there are still many things that could go wrong. Whilst I accept we have hardly been dropping any points and don't look like starting to, they could easily come to TFS in a few weeks, shitfest to epic proportions and steal a goal from a corner (the first home game against Dunfermline last season anyone?). That is more likely and that sort of shift in momentum could be huge.

What I will say is it is encouraging that Dunfermline went up with a weaker squad than we have now, signed no one (apart from 3 guys they already had on loan + Alex Jakubiak), are in the middle of a massive injury crisis and yet are still doing fine. And Airdrie went up with a similar quality squad to what we had last season, looking at their team that beat Raith on Saturday and 90% is unchanged from those play-off matches against us *shudder* and are also doing fine. They also lost Callum Smith in the summer who was one of their better players IIRC

We need to make sure we get the job done this season first and I'm sure McGlynn will be drilling this in to the team to keep our eyes firmly on the prize. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

12 hours ago, Balde Bairn said:

I can’t stand the “you are where you should be” that we hear aimed at us a lot. It’s usually aimed at us by the fans of the smaller clubs who are in the championship. We are where we are, it’s not where we should be. Not with the resources available to us. 

They forget the Armstrong money made a huge difference to clubs like Arbroath who were gifted more than their annual turnover (it was given out on league placing not annual turnover which is why we and Thistle lost out badly). The money is running out now and you can see the effects as teams begin to drop like stones in the leagues. There is one and only one accurate predictor of league placing and it is player contract budgets - in every league this is the only thing that correlates with success or failure (not even transfer budgets).

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hearld saying MacIver is out for the next two weeks and Yeats is likely to be rested on Saturday along with a few others. So Shanley will get his chance to make the starting spot his.

Shanley cup tied for the bonnyrigg rose game as well. Would likely be Oliver or Allan that will start up front in that game then.

4 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Shanley cup tied for the bonnyrigg rose game as well. Would likely be Oliver or Allan that will start up front in that game then.

After Oliver’s two crackers from the bench recently I’d say he deserves the start in this instance. 

59 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Now I like talking about hypotheticals as much as the next fan, but there's still a long way to go in this league before we can be sure we are in the Championship next season. 16 games or 48 points to be exact, given we'll only be 8 points ahead of Hamilton if they win their game in hand, there are still many things that could go wrong. Whilst I accept we have hardly been dropping any points and don't look like starting to, they could easily come to TFS in a few weeks, shitfest to epic proportions and steal a goal from a corner (the first home game against Dunfermline last season anyone?). That is more likely and that sort of shift in momentum could be huge.

What I will say is it is encouraging that Dunfermline went up with a weaker squad than we have now, signed no one (apart from 3 guys they already had on loan + Alex Jakubiak), are in the middle of a massive injury crisis and yet are still doing fine. And Airdrie went up with a similar quality squad to what we had last season, looking at their team that beat Raith on Saturday and 90% is unchanged from those play-off matches against us *shudder* and are also doing fine. They also lost Callum Smith in the summer who was one of their better players IIRC

We need to make sure we get the job done this season first and I'm sure McGlynn will be drilling this in to the team to keep our eyes firmly on the prize. 

We also signed Summers, Moffat, Sharp and MoH. 

I've said it quite a few times with regards to what our target should be this season, but since the playoffs were introduced, the previous seasons League one winners have finished at least 5th in every season bar one, the outlier being Cove. However you also had Queens Park from league one finishing 3rd.

Falkirk are going up this year, at the very least, and barring some freakish turn of events like a horrendous injury list, you should finish 5th.

It'll be an interesting league next year, if Dundee Utd go up and are replaced by say Livingston it becomes a very even playing field, you'll have allot of sides that will be aiming for the playoffs at least though. 

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

This.

How many years down in this league have we been saying attack is the best form of defence? We were subserviant to too many teams, when we really shouldn't have been, as you mention that East Fife game, there were many others. It obviously helps that we have the players to do so, but a lot of it is in the mindset that McGlynn has instilled. I love the fact that we are now going at teams from the first minute to the last (look at the way we set up from the kick off v Cove and QoS (two goals pretty much at the start of second half), the opposition are now so concerned about us they've all changed their tactics to the point they are sitting in and not even trying to win (Bartley chuffed with just a 1-0 loss as an example) or getting any shots on target at all.

The other mentality I really like which the players (Coll & McGinn?) mentioned recently is that we are playing to take risks and win games rather than play for draws, its draws that kills you in this league. I'd rather lose a couple but get more 3 points, overall in the season it means you end up with more points and your opponents less.

Jock Stein during the 1967 European Cup run was asked in an interview about Celtic being such an attacking team it may be weak defensibly

He repled ' Celtic are a very defensive team,  having possession in the opponent's last 1/3rd of the park is the best defence you can have'

Think it was BBC's David Coleman that asked the question he was speechless.

50 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hearld saying MacIver is out for the next two weeks and Yeats is likely to be rested on Saturday along with a few others. So Shanley will get his chance to make the starting spot his.

Take it Allan will be pissed off at that.

2 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

No one is talking about divine rights though….but there are realistic expectations. Do Barcelona have a realistic expectation to be in La Liga? 

Falkirk in The Championship is something I would describe as a level we should be at, minimum (though the leagues are so small that this is now harder to gauge).

I am not disagreeing but you have to earn it. We haven’t so we deserve to be where we are