The Falkirk FC Thread

budget means nothing, a manager can ruin a winning team in a heartbeat. look at what John Lambie did at Falkirk with a side that played really nice football many years ago.

Good manages take poor teams and make them decent, decent teams and make them winners, just like Unai Emery has done at Villa, or closer to home Ian Murray at Raith.

McGlynn has been brilliant for us, we've spunked budgets on utter dross in the past, both managers and players and inflated BOD's. McGlynn has been excellent so far in his signings, it'll be interesting to see how he strengthens the squad. After Saturday, most of the people I chatted too reckoned we only need 3 or 4 to be competitive next season.

3 hours ago, ChrispPancake said:

Can't agree more, the arrogance of the BOD at the time was disgraceful. When you make headlines all over Europe on fans forums for the disdain you show to your supporters then you know you're in the wrong job.

FFC fans are no different than most, we simply expect the team and club to operate at a level consistent with the size and finances it has in the league it's in. If we were in England we wouldn't expect to be a Championship side but we do in Scotland, and it's not unrealistic to expect us to be pushing for the Premier League place when you consider that Livingston , Ross County, St f*kin Johnstone etc are in there and have been consistently.

Livingston are a ticking clock to another financial collapse

Ross County are bank rolled by Roy McGregor of McGregor Supply fame so when he pulls the financial plug they will find their level

St Johnstone were fortunate, they got gifted the land for the stadium and a sound businessman in Brown to oversee things helped by a sympathetic council

Long term objective should be Kilmarnock - Motherwell level, looked upon as near fixtures in the Premier League

2 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

After Saturday, most of the people I chatted too reckoned we only need 3 or 4 to be competitive next season.

If JM can pull off signing Tait (full year left on Hibees payroll) and Ross, I agree it would be 3/4 after this two. Mackie performance at LCB has probably given the manager a huge headache (positive) as I reckon he may have been heading towards the exit door. His form in such a short space of time has been nothing short of brilliant. However he’s only first choice due to Lang’s absence. Still think we need GK ( RB if Yeats goes to the rumoured StJ/Dundee/UTd ) if we don’t get Tait/Ross we’d be looking at 2 similar types. CF and a couple of fringe players/loanees.

I'd definitely be looking to keep Mackie, both as capable replacement for TL (who has had previous injury issues remember), and as a more physical option at LB in certain games where McCann's strengths in getting forward might be less necessary.

Also because I think he's absolutely barking and every squad needs a couple of guys like that.

Think it's a given that Lawal, McKay and McGinn are gone along with Allan. Before the last few weeks I'd have said Mackie aswell and Shanley. Thing is will they be deemed good enough/have contributed enough to merit a deal for the championship. I'm not sure. Yeats it would appear is hanging off waiting to see if he gets a better offer elsewhere which he's entitled to do. I'd be trying to keep Ross and Tait if possible. 

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

What's this about Airdrie being preseason favourites to go down?

You guys blasted through the playoffs, had tremendous momentum, a canny manager, and with Arbroath, QP, Morton and Ayr around, you were never everyone's selection to be last.*

*preference, maybe 😉

I think you have a bit of hindsight going on there, on the predictions thread they were pretty consistently in the bottom two along with Arbroath. 

QP and Ayr were in the playoffs the season before while Morton were probably the most in form team the second half of last season, I don't think many people would've had Airdrie above them. Of course, Airdrie might not come above them. 

I think, that with McCabe you could argue he's done the best job in the Championship (balancing expectations against results) and along with Imrie they're the two best gaffers in the league. 

If McGlynn goes unbeaten then he absolutely should get it, I'd argue that even if he was to lose a game now he should get it. However I expect it'll go to a premier league manager, if Rangers win it then it'll go to Clement, if they don't then it'll be McInnes or Naismith. Outside chance of it being St Mirren of they make top six. 

I had quick check and the last manager to win the SFWA MoTY who wasn't in the Prem was John Lambie with Partick in 01/02. Their has though been more lower league managers who have won the PFA MoTY

12/13-Allan Johnston when QoTS were in the 3rd tier and got 92 points (2 losses) 

11/12 - Derek Adams when Ross County were in the second tier and got 79 points (1 loss) 

10/11 - John McGlynn when Raith were in the second tier and finished 2nd, they actually only ended up two points in front of yourselves with Presley at the helm. 

26 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Think it's a given that Lawal, McKay and McGinn are gone along with Allan. Before the last few weeks I'd have said Mackie aswell and Shanley. Thing is will they be deemed good enough/have contributed enough to merit a deal for the championship. I'm not sure. Yeats it would appear is hanging off waiting to see if he gets a better offer elsewhere which he's entitled to do. I'd be trying to keep Ross and Tait if possible. 

Allan might have to go on loan again unless a full time team is willing to take him on. I'd have thought someone like qos could do with a striker given Reilly's age . Allen wouldve been a far better loan signing for them than the big diddy from accies.

McGlynn himself said he recognised we’ll need two or three bits of real quality - the implication being first team starters - in order to make the real difference. This recognition, along with his record in recruitment, gives me a great deal of hope. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

19 hours ago, Springfield said:

With respect let’s move on . 

19 hours ago, Springfield said:

A decade + of atrocious mismanagement and after a brilliant weekend, sorry mate don’t need this shite flagged up two days later. 

18 hours ago, Springfield said:

Enjoy mate 👍

Hi Gary Deans 👋

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

I think you have a bit of hindsight going on there, on the predictions thread they were pretty consistently in the bottom two along with Arbroath. 

QP and Ayr were in the playoffs the season before while Morton were probably the most in form team the second half of last season, I don't think many people would've had Airdrie above them. Of course, Airdrie might not come above them. 

I think, that with McCabe you could argue he's done the best job in the Championship (balancing expectations against results) and along with Imrie they're the two best gaffers in the league. 

Fair enough I suppose, nobody is denying he is doing a good job. Not in the same league (hoho) as JMcG though.

I was firmly in the "bin McGlynn" camp at the start of the season but I was so wrong and gladly eating humble pie.

We were so one paced last year, it looked to me like we couldn't mix it up.  The worst was the semi final, we were passing without purpose.  If you look at the goals on sat...the many, beautiful goals... there's variety to our play.  We can play quick, we can play patient, direct, short.  That's what was missing last season for me above all.. a guile to change the pace of the game.  Having Spencer, Miller and Tait in midfield has really brought out Nesbitt and Morrison's qualities.  Brilliant.  I'm buzzing for next year, trying to think where to improve bar the goalie!?

11 minutes ago, tirso said:

I was firmly in the "bin McGlynn" camp at the start of the season but I was so wrong and gladly eating humble pie.

We were so one paced last year, it looked to me like we couldn't mix it up.  The worst was the semi final, we were passing without purpose.  If you look at the goals on sat...the many, beautiful goals... there's variety to our play.  We can play quick, we can play patient, direct, short.  That's what was missing last season for me above all.. a guile to change the pace of the game.  Having Spencer, Miller and Tait in midfield has really brought out Nesbitt and Morrison's qualities.  Brilliant.  I'm buzzing for next year, trying to think where to improve bar the goalie!?

Although I love big Ross McIver and he suits the system down a T, and is also one of the main reasons we are doing so well, you would have to argue we should be looking to improve in that area and bring in another striker. I think he’s scored 12 goals in the league for us this season, which is a great return(and still 5 games left to go!) but surely even he’ll be disappointed he’s not (so far) managed to break that 20 barrier. Like I said he’s pivotal to the way we play, but if we want to do well next season and ultimately compete for promotion a striker that can get us 20 goals in the championship needs to be on the transfer list. 

5 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Although I love big Ross McIver and he suits the system down a T, and is also one of the main reasons we are doing so well, you would have to argue we should be looking to improve in that area and bring in another striker. I think he’s scored 12 goals in the league for us this season, which is a great return(and still 5 games left to go!) but surely even he’ll be disappointed he’s not (so far) managed to break that 20 barrier. Like I said he’s pivotal to the way we play, but if we want to do well next season and ultimately compete for promotion a striker that can get us 20 goals in the championship needs to be on the transfer list. 

Yep. One goal in the last 11 or 12 games before Saturday will not do a league up, unless Morrison, Nesbitt and Miller are knocking them in regularly, and there's no guarantee of that.

However, he more than deserves a chance to start as our #9, and a year's extra experience will undoubtedly help him and us.

With how McGlynn has silenced his critics, along with what feels like half the pre-existing squad, I'm gonna stop writing people off and give them time. Do we need better than MacIvor up top next season? Maybe, but I'm more than happy to give him the opportunity to prove he can cut it in the league above. All this team seem to do is prove doubters wrong and I'm absolutely here for it. God, I love this squad of players.

Special mention to Sean Mackie who has been absolutely sensational of late and absolutely must be offered a new deal.

I've been quite critical of Mackie but he's played well the last few games probably earning himself a new contract if he doesn't want to go somewhere he's guaranteed to start.

I'd still like him to be a bit less reckless at times but the rest of his play has shown why McGlynn rates him and hopefully he can keep improving and playing as well if he stays. 

The big issue with getting in another striker is finding one that can do everything MacIver can do and also score 20 goals a season and manage to entice them to play in the championship. There aren't many players that can do all that at our level unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

The big issue with getting in another striker is finding one that can do everything MacIver can do and also score 20 goals a season and manage to entice them to play in the championship. There aren't many players that can do all that at our level unfortunately.

A lot of teams at a higher level in Scotland and England are looking for that rarity also.

Our front four have scored 50 goals between them this season. They absolutely deserve the chance to start next season in the championship and I'm uncomfortable with our own fans talking any of them down after such a brilliant weekend. 

Edited by Baggio