The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, BPM said:

Frustrating game. Very unlucky not to be in front at half time far less level. 

The second half they stiffened up a bit and we created less despite completely dominating the ball. However overall nothing to fear.

On the evidence of tonight I can’t see them challenging. The two up front are slower than a week in the jail. They actually improved when they took the cart horse Oakley off. 

Even a losing draw tonight would have s een us in a very very strong position. Are the positions decided by goal difference or head to head? I can see the three FT teams ending up with 9 point. If it is goal difference we need to pummel Buckie at the weekend 

It was goal difference last year

On 13/07/2024 at 22:33, GMBairn said:

You should maybe be more concerned with ayrs intensity because unless all the money you've spent has improved you since last season when our B team beat you without breaking sweat you'll be lucky to stay up again. 

Did your B team play tonight or something? 

Great support down from Falkirk tonight - good to see!

I thought you looked very organised and tidy on the ball and it was clear that the forward players have played together for a long time. Morrison is a great wide threat and some of his deliveries were top drawer and just begging to be knocked in to the net. With the step up in divisions I don't see MacIver getting as much time and space against Championship defenders as he got in League 1 so you might want to upgrade there. This Ayr side is still very much in the gelling phase and we haven't quite found our rhythm yet so I am pleased to get the win despite looking out-of-sorts. 

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

3 of our normal back 4 missing and our reserve keeper so not quite our B team but not too far away.

Suppose that’s fair given we played without two of our main starters and played the majority of the second half with our back up centre mid and back up striker in midfield. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Suppose that’s fair given we played without two of our main starters and played the majority of the second half with our back up centre mid and back up striker in midfield. 

In all seriousness on tonight’s showing, how do you think we’ll fair in the Championship, will we have any relegation worries.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

In all seriousness on tonight’s showing, how do you think we’ll fair in the Championship, will we have any relegation worries.

No, would be very surprised to see you anywhere near the bottom.

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

No chance of relegation. Think you’re a striker away from top four. MacIver is physical but most centre halves in the league will deal with him easily enough I’d say. 

Everything else is fairly solid.

Hopefully our goals will be spread about the team like last season with Morrison, Nisbett, Miller etc as well as MacIver chipping in. Think any additions now will be loans so will need to see how that goes. Hopefully we don’t get too many injuries as that could maybe cause us issues.

12 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The team that comes up always seems to finish top 4 first season and there’s a lot worse teams than you have done that. Comfortably clear of any bother.

2 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

The team that comes up always seems to finish top 4 first season and there’s a lot worse teams than you have done that. Comfortably clear of any bother.

Yes, pretty sure that since the current playoff structure was introduced, a team promoted to the championship has made the playoffs every season and that should definitely be our aim for the season 

34 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Absolutely nowhere near relegation 

42 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Not a chance you'll be anywhere near relegation. 

5 minutes ago, North West said:

Yeah, with their wee pals fae St Mirren and Shefffield makes them both exotic and double hard as f**k likes. 

Forfar. f**k’s sake. 

yes we could have been 3-1 up at half time and no one would have thought it undeserved but fair play to Ayr, they shut the door in the 2nd half and we had no answer. Our subs were all like for like with no change to a formation or tactics that weren't working. We need a plan B or we'll end up with a lot more games like this this season as we're up against better quality. 

As a thought, why not play Alfie through the middle and get him to hold up the ball in an area that could hurt the opposition rather than out on the wing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think Sneddon has to do better on the goal. I don’t think he moves his feet nearly quick enough to get over which then gives him no chance to save a pretty slow header, albeit it was well placed. I don’t think he’s as good as Nicky (not saying Nicky is Buffon) which is weird considering we’ve gave him a two year contract and that money could have went elsewhere. 

I think we deserved to win overall, just, however a draw would have done. Miller was better tonight than he has been and him and Morrison caused their back 4 all kinds of bother especially first half. 

I felt the referee was awful. He missed plenty of easy yellow’s then out of nowhere it was like Christmas with the cards flying out. There was also what looked like a deliberate handball in the first half not given so would like to see that back. 

All in all though very happy with the performance, more so the first half, we just needed a little more composure and luck. 

4 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I think Sneddon has to do better on the goal. I don’t think he moves his feet nearly quick enough to get over which then gives him no chance to save a pretty slow header, albeit it was well placed. I don’t think he’s as good as Nicky (not saying Nicky is Buffon) which is weird considering we’ve gave him a two year contract and that money could have went elsewhere. 

I think we deserved to win overall, just, however a draw would have done. Miller was better tonight than he has been and him and Morrison caused their back 4 all kinds of bother especially first half. 

I felt the referee was awful. He missed plenty of easy yellow’s then out of nowhere it was like Christmas with the cards flying out. There was also what looked like a deliberate handball in the first half not given so would like to see that back. 

All in all though very happy with the performance, more so the first half, we just needed a little more composure and luck. 

I don’t think Miller nor Morrison did anything special. Miller was up against a 17 year old at right back who was at East Stirling last season and got by him maybe once or twice but didn’t do anything aside from that. Morrison managed to get plenty of balls into the box but our left back wasn’t actually beaten by him and the majority of the crosses were either cleared easily enough or caught by Stone. I think Falkirk had a lot of the ball but didn’t do much with it. 

And for all your great chances, we could’ve scored a further two goals in the first half and should’ve probably had at least two in the second half. We play quite an open game at times but in the second half I don’t think we were ever in danger.