The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I was having a wee look at Transfermarket to see who's out of contract in the Championship at the end of the season and came up with the following names that will be familiar:

From Raith, there's Sam Stanton, Dylan Easton and Ethan Ross. ICT, Wallace Duffy, who's a RB. From Partick, Jamie Sneddon (G.K.), Jack McMillan (R.B.), Kerr McInroy, Aidan Fitzpatrick and Toni Adeloye who was the Ayr striker that scored two against us in the cup last season. From Q.P. there's goalie Callum Ferrie who was with us for a short time. Morton striker George Oakley, from Airdrie, G.K. Josh Rae, R.B. Cammy Ballantyne and striker Calum Gallagher. From L1 Hamilton there's goalie Ryan Fulton and C.B. Fergus Owens.

Who, if any, do you think would be worth talking too? We'll need a 'keeper and Rae and Fulton are well quoted by their current club's fans. I think we'll need a R.B. as it looks like Finn may be away. Duffy, McMillan and Ballantyne may fit? I also think that Oakley would suit McGlynn's system and is probably more of a goal scorer than MacIvor.

Think we’ll leave the recruitment to McGlynn if that ok with you 

To be honest I wouldn't mind Finn staying but if he's away we should be due a development fee of a few hundred thousand you would think which could be enough to make sure the club is confident in it's finances in our first season up and allow us to recruit fairly freely.

Wouldn't be the end of the world and I'm sure we would be able to pick up a stable championship level right back to fill the slot.

3 hours ago, GMBairn said:

To be honest I wouldn't mind Finn staying but if he's away we should be due a development fee of a few hundred thousand you would think which could be enough to make sure the club is confident in it's finances in our first season up and allow us to recruit fairly freely.

Wouldn't be the end of the world and I'm sure we would be able to pick up a stable championship level right back to fill the slot.

I would bear in mind how few of our seasons in the Championship we had a stable championship level right back.  Always seemed to be a problem position for us.

Edited by Disco Duck

7 hours ago, GMBairn said:

A few hundred grand? You are having a laugh now. We would be lucky to get 50k under the rules as they are. 

11 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

FSS Bairns Survey is live. 

Really important to engage with it because as it will help set the priorities for the Committee to work towards over the summer and into the next season. 

http://s.surveyplanet.com/h7ma1pot

Just in case it doesn't come through strongly enough in the feedback....we MUST keep red shoulders on the home kit. 

Was a given we'd win the league as soon as that was announced. 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I was having a wee look at Transfermarket to see who's out of contract in the Championship at the end of the season and came up with the following names that will be familiar:

From Raith, there's Sam Stanton, Dylan Easton and Ethan Ross. ICT, Wallace Duffy, who's a RB. From Partick, Jamie Sneddon (G.K.), Jack McMillan (R.B.), Kerr McInroy, Aidan Fitzpatrick and Toni Adeloye who was the Ayr striker that scored two against us in the cup last season. From Q.P. there's goalie Callum Ferrie who was with us for a short time. Morton striker George Oakley, from Airdrie, G.K. Josh Rae, R.B. Cammy Ballantyne and striker Calum Gallagher. From L1 Hamilton there's goalie Ryan Fulton and C.B. Fergus Owens.

Who, if any, do you think would be worth talking too? We'll need a 'keeper and Rae and Fulton are well quoted by their current club's fans. I think we'll need a R.B. as it looks like Finn may be away. Duffy, McMillan and Ballantyne may fit? I also think that Oakley would suit McGlynn's system and is probably more of a goal scorer than MacIvor.

This summers all about quality again as we need to be signing players who are better than what we currently have but we're in a great position given the leagues basically already tied up this early.

Clubs down south also seem more willing to loan players to championship clubs so that opens up our market straight away. 

Would love an Akinyemi/Taylor type striker, big physical player who can also shift. Obviously every team is looking for a player like that.

Edited by FFC 1876

11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

From Raith, there's Sam Stanton, Dylan Easton and Ethan Ross. 

Sam Stanton signed an extension just before Christmas, and Easton has been linked to the top flight although has been out of form recently. I'd like to think Easton would be likely to re-sign for us based on where we're at just now if he's not going to the top flight - it has all the feeling that he'll wait until the end of the season before a decision.

Ethan Ross will likely be away. McGlynn signed him on one of his fabled multi year deals where the player received wage increases after every season. I've not really seen much to suggest he's even been an important figure for yourselves, and I don't think he's really what we need to move forwards.

46 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Sam Stanton signed an extension just before Christmas, and Easton has been linked to the top flight although has been out of form recently. I'd like to think Easton would be likely to re-sign for us based on where we're at just now if he's not going to the top flight - it has all the feeling that he'll wait until the end of the season before a decision.

Ethan Ross will likely be away. McGlynn signed him on one of his fabled multi year deals where the player received wage increases after every season. I've not really seen much to suggest he's even been an important figure for yourselves, and I don't think he's really what we need to move forwards.

Ross has looked decent for us but has really lacked end product. Personally I think the money would be better spent elsewhere if he’s after a big wage to sign for us.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

This summers all about quality again as we need to be signing players who are better than what we currently have but we're in a great position given the leagues basically already tied up this early.

Clubs down south also seem more willing to loan players to championship clubs so that opens up our market straight away. 

Would love an Akinyemi/Taylor type striker, big physical player who can also shift. Obviously every team is looking for a player like that.

Exactly the point I have been making.

Upping the quality for hopefully playing in a higher division will result in regulars this season not playing. 

4 hours ago, BPM said:

A few hundred grand? You are having a laugh now. We would be lucky to get 50k under the rules as they are. 

To be fair I don't really know anything about the rules. I just remember us getting a fortune for Mark Stewart. If we only get something like 50k that's obviously shit. 

Ethan Ross is a weird one in that I thought he looked a really good signing at the time and he obviously came in when Miller was injured. I do like how direct he is, but I think you’d be hard pushed to argue he’s shown enough to be kept on. I imagine McGlynn might have had different thoughts if Morrison had been away. Ross is one I would put down as relatively happy to keep if he isn’t on big wages, but wouldn’t be gutted if he left either.

54 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Ross hasn’t been an important figure because he was brought in for cover whilst miller was injured and as soon as miller came back he hit good form, Ross hasn’t been consistent enough to justify a place in the starting XI but has shown glimpses of what he can do 

wouldn’t be fussed if he left or stayed but would like him to stay imo

19 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Ross has looked decent for us but has really lacked end product. Personally I think the money would be better spent elsewhere if he’s after a big wage to sign for us.

6 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Ethan Ross is a weird one in that I thought he looked a really good signing at the time and he obviously came in when Miller was injured. I do like how direct he is, but I think you’d be hard pushed to argue he’s shown enough to be kept on. I imagine McGlynn might have had different thoughts if Morrison had been away. Ross is one I would put down as relatively happy to keep if he isn’t on big wages, but wouldn’t be gutted if he left either.

There's absolutely no chance anyone will offer Ross anything close to what he's on just now. The word I've heard is that we got Falkirk to cover his full wages as part of the loan. It wouldn't surprise me if the next step for him is Cove given he's from the Aberdeen area. 

It's a shame because everyone wanted for things to work out for him when he came back but he had recurring issues which meant that he couldn't very the consistency. He doesn't really fit into Ian Murray's ethos so it was always going to be more difficult. 

With that said, he's not been worth the financial expense. Of all the signings McGlynn made on those types of deals, Stanton was the only one who justified the ends - scoring in four of our five victories over Dunfermline this season means he's worth his weight in gold.

33 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I do like how direct he is, but I think you’d be hard pushed to argue he’s shown enough to be kept on.

Thats what’s been one of our issues in seasons gone by. Players getting kept on when clearly they should have been jettisoned. Thankfully we don’t have this issue 

I like Ross and he's been unlucky that he's been kept out by two of he best players in the league since he joined.  Difficult to perform when you aren't playing regularly unfortunately.  

45 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I like Ross and he's been unlucky that he's been kept out by two of he best players in the league since he joined.  Difficult to perform when you aren't playing regularly unfortunately.  

True he hasn’t started a huge number but he has been involved in every game this season so he has had an opportunity.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

In defence of Ross as well, he's had a reasonable number of extra minutes lately and would have a couple of other assists to his name if we had been more clinical.

Wouldn't mind keeping him but it would need to be on a wage that reflects the back up status in the squad. 

Edited by GMBairn

2 hours ago, GMBairn said:

To be fair I don't really know anything about the rules. I just remember us getting a fortune for Mark Stewart. If we only get something like 50k that's obviously shit. 

Still be enough to scare off wee teams like St Johnstone

I judge Ross for not getting more goals and assists as he's such a classy footballer, very much in the same way I wanted more out of Kucheriavyi last season.

I'd be offering him a deal for next season as in the championship there'll be much more space for our attacking players to go express themselves and that can only benefit Ross with the skill and pace he possesses. FTV commentator sums it up brilliantly he just glides by players with ease without ever really looking like he's out of 2nd gear. Next season you won't get teams coming to the Falkirk stadium and not even bothering to try leave their own half(QOS) leaving very little room for our creative players to work their magic.

To the Raith fan who had a pop at McGlynn's multi year deals, whilst you were signing one of the most sought after young prospects in Scotland off of an Aberdeen team that wanted him to stay, we were signing Brad Mckay on a three year deal and Gary Holt's son on a two year deal. There's levels to the recruitment game, McGlynn's top tier.