The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Don’t know much about him tbh. Can’t really judge on last season as we scored a lot of goals past every goalkeeper in the league and if I’m being honest none of them really stood out when I watched them.

That’s not to say he won’t be a good signing for Ayr btw.

Are you throwing quite a bit of cash at an attempt at promotion next season ?

Morton fans will tell you yes but the truth is no. We have a “competitive” budget aided by Rangers cup money from last season and a fair chunk of the Akinyemi transfer fee. Our aim will be playoffs I’d imagine. 

I think Brown is doing a good job of selling the club and we seem to be far more proactive this summer than last where we took a second place finish for granted and sat on our hands until the end of June. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Morton fans will tell you yes but the truth is no. We have a “competitive” budget aided by Rangers cup money from last season and a fair chunk of the Akinyemi transfer fee. Our aim will be playoffs I’d imagine. 

I think Brown is doing a good job of selling the club and we seem to be far more proactive this summer than last where we took a second place finish for granted and sat on our hands until the end of June. 

Morton fans ? Is your budgets not comparable given you have very similar average attendances ?

Admittedly I don’t imagine McGeady is playing for peanuts.

Yeah, Brown will bring you profile that’s for sure albeit at Aberdeen and Fleetwood he’s not exactly proved to be a good coach 😂.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Morton fans ? Is your budgets not comparable given you have very similar average attendances ?

Admittedly I don’t imagine McGeady is playing for peanuts.

Yeah, Brown will bring you profile that’s for sure albeit at Aberdeen and Fleetwood he’s not exactly proved to be a good coach 😂.

Morton fans haven’t taken Oakley to us very well given we offered 50% more than they did for him. We’ll absolutely have a bigger budget than them despite attendances being the same. 

Brown was fine at Fleetwood. Finished mid table and had a good cup run. Owner went to jail over the summer and the whole club seemed to go to shit. He’s done well for us in his first six months considering where we were and the injuries he’s had to deal with. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Morton fans haven’t taken Oakley to us very well given we offered 50% more than they did for him. We’ll absolutely have a bigger budget than them despite attendances being the same. 

Brown was fine at Fleetwood. Finished mid table and had a good cup run. Owner went to jail over the summer and the whole club seemed to go to shit. He’s done well for us in his first six months considering where we were and the injuries he’s had to deal with. 

Ah ok. Makes sense about Morton then. They’ll moan about anything Tbf.

I had read that Brown’s win rate at Fleetwood was only 30% ? I could be wrong though.

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Ah ok. Makes sense about Morton then. They’ll moan about anything Tbf.

I had read that Brown’s win rate at Fleetwood was only 30% ? I could be wrong though.

No idea. League One in England is a far higher level than the Scottish Championship though and finishing 13th for that club isn’t a bad season by any means considering they had finished 20th the season prior. He did well enough to get a new contract as well and then, as I said, it all seemed to go a bit wrong when the chairman was sent to prison. 

I have no idea how you can judge his spell at Aberdeen given he played quite a lot and wasn’t responsible for picking the team. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No idea. League One in England is a far higher level than the Scottish Championship though and finishing 13th for that club isn’t a bad season by any means considering they had finished 20th the season prior. He did well enough to get a new contract as well and then, as I said, it all seemed to go a bit wrong when the chairman was sent to prison. 

I have no idea how you can judge his spell at Aberdeen given he played quite a lot and wasn’t responsible for picking the team. 

Yeah 13th isn’t bad Tbf. Good improvement on 20th that’s for sure.

It must have been garbage I read about his win rate being 30%. I’m surprised they sacked him given he was doing so well tbh.

2 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

Sorry to butt in on all the beer chat but thought I’d share the email response I got from MSP Michael Matheson’s office below, confirming a letter was sent to the SPFL on our behalf. Further below, note the mealy mouthed pish which Doncaster replies with. Does Doncaster actually get paid top dollar to draft shite like that and press send? Scottish football is truly led by donkeys.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write to Mr Matheson regarding this matter. Mr Matheson is supportive of the approach that Falkirk FC and other Clubs have taken forward with the SPFL in opposing the pitch changes.

Mr Matheson understand the financial challenges that changing the artificial pitch to a grass pitch would have on Clubs and the repercussions this would have on wider activities, for example the Falkirk Foundation who have invaluable programmes in the community, including working with vulnerable groups.

Mr Matheson has recently met with both members of the Club’s board and the Foundation, during which they discussed the issue and the potential impact. Mr Matheson has therefore written to the SPFL to highlight the impact of the cost of changing the pitch and also the wider impact this decision will have, particularly at Falkirk FC on the work of their Foundation and the knock-on effect this will have on the provision of programmes for the community. Mr Matheson has also highlighted that Falkirk FC have an exceptionally high-quality artificial pitch.
==================

Mr Matheson received a response from Neil Doncaster, Group Chief Executive of the SPFL, which I detail below:

=================

Dear Ben,

Many thanks for your email below and the attached letter from Mr Matheson regarding the resolution recently requisitioned by a number of Premiership clubs.

If passed, the effect of this resolution will be to phase out the use of artificial pitches in Scotland’s top division by summer 2026. Artificial pitches are not currently permitted by many European leagues (including the English Premier League, the three divisions of the English Football League, and the Dutch Eredivisie).

You may be interested to learn that the SPFL Board recently approved plans for a Premiership-wide project to work with a leading pitch consultancy firm, which is regularly used by UEFA, to improve the standards of grass pitches in the Premiership. The SPFL will be engaging with Premiership clubs on this project ahead of the new season.

As will be apparent from the above, the SPFL is keen to elevate the standards of all pitches in the top tier of Scottish football – which can only be good for the image of the game in this country.

I trust the above is clear and helpful.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Yours sincerely,

Neil

ENDS.

It is just a typical politician reply, all filler and answers nothing, and keeps him in a job another day.

And that's all he has ever done, fk all.

This will all go away unless there is a huge noise made with clubs joining together.

12 hours ago, Blame Me said:

You do know they got relegated 🤨

Not only that but they got relegated with the worst home record in the league. 

W 4, D 7, L 8

What an advantage. 

10 hours ago, Super Simon said:

Probably in a small minority, but I wouldn't be in a rush to bring Ross back. I quite liked him, he was direct and always willing to commit his opponent when he came off the bench, and he scored a cracking goal against Formatine in the cup, but I always felt there was a bit more style over substance about him. Whilst I would not be gutted if he returned, neither would I be pushing the boat out in any way, shape or form. There are one or two other wide players currently available who i would like to see come in, and every squad, irrespective of how well they have done the previous season, benefits from a degree of freshness.

I get what you’re saying but I actually believe Ross would be more effective in the championship. I think oppositions this past season sat very compact, which made it difficult for Ross to make the impact he’s capable of. In the championship I’d expect things to be a bit more open and give him space to run into, which will get the best out of him

I genuinely don’t understand Scottish Football clubs.

When Celtic win the league this season it’ll be 40 years since anyone outside the bigot brothers won it. No other league in the world can match that.

Also, with Leverkusen winning the Bundesliga and Sturm Graz winning the Austrian league the Scottish Premiership is now the 2nd most single team dominated team and in the last 13 years (Bulgarian league is even worse).

You’ve basically got 10 teams voting to close down a league they’ve no chance of competing in and even Sevco have very little chance of catching Celtic.

It’s absolutely ludicrous - you are making one of the least competitive leagues in the world even less competitive.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I genuinely don’t understand Scottish Football clubs.

When Celtic win the league this season it’ll be 40 years since anyone outside the bigot brothers won it. No other league in the world can match that.

Also, with Leverkusen winning the Bundesliga and Sturm Graz winning the Austrian league the Scottish Premiership is now the 2nd most single team dominated team and in the last 13 years (Bulgarian league is even worse).

You’ve basically got 10 teams voting to close down a league they’ve no chance of competing in and even Sevco have very little chance of catching Celtic.

It’s absolutely ludicrous - you are making one of the least competitive leagues in the world even less competitive.

This vote will make it worse, as half the clubs in the Championship won’t be able to go up so they are making it more of a closed shop.

Also should Queens Park be allowed to go up and play in the National Stadium which they don’t own. How is that fair, think of the money they could rake in playing the likes of the arse cheeks, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen taking massive away supports.

I’m thoroughly scunnered with Scottish football, nothing surprises me. As one twat joked on the thread on the SPFL page, wait till Falkirk install a grass pitch and they will make it a rule that you’re stadium has to have 4 stands, that will be the next obstacle.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

It’s the Tory voter approach.  Support things that are good for the top of society but not the rest because one day, maybe, you might become a millionaire and then it’ll be your turn to benefit.  So f**k everyone else and pull up the drawbridge.  Because it will never be you that’s loses their job/is a refugee/who needs vital medical treatment.

Until you are and then you want the rules to change.

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

This vote will make it worse, as half the clubs in the Championship won’t be able to go up so they are making it more of a closed shop.

Also should Queens Park be allowed to go up and play in the National Stadium which they don’t own. How is that fair, think of the money they could rake in playing the likes of the arse cheeks, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen taking massive away supports.

I’m thoroughly scunnered with Scottish football, nothing surprises me. As one twat joked on the thread on the SPFL page, wait till Falkirk install a grass pitch and they will make it a rule that you’re stadium has to have 4 stands, that will be the next obstacle.

The Queens Park thing is a farce. However Baron Haughey is a close friend of Mr Lawell so QP are effectively part of the inner sanctum.

Been a bit doom and gloom on here lately.

1st June, a wee (or big) signing announcement would be nice, lift everyone's spirits and keep the season ticket purchases momentum going.

Have heard it said repeatedly this "improves" our game but I haven't seen one tangible fact that this is so.

I am still dumbfounded that grass has been prioritised and yet there is no work other than a commitment to engage consultants.

Grass consultants appear to be the silver bullet to this scheme and yet the SPFL board realistically can't say whether the current clubs could have minimal or maximum remedial works to carry out or whether they have a choice over full-grass or hybrid - if recommended. 

Dundee plan to move to Camperdown afaik - if they voted in favour - are they prepared to do any potential recommended works to Dens knowing they will have to do it all over again or will they no-doubt be given dispensation to do the minimum mandated and so every other club can do the same?

It's a complete farce.