The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

C'mon Harry, be nice.

The forum that you are posting on is called Pie and Bovril for a reason: it is synonymous with Scottish football. Traditionally, Scottish football supporters have treated themselves to this drink and snack for generation’s, it would be awful if one of lives pleasures on a Saturday out with your mates becomes so exorbitantly expensive that fans have to forego this tradition. £7 for a pie and Bovril? F*cking ridiculous!

Please don’t criticize the hard –up fans (who’ve dipped into their pockets for FSS subscriptions, new strips, Invincibles merchandise, new season tickets, including voluntarily paying the extra for the manager’s fund) etc. for complaining about the prices, the board should be castigated for sanctioning these crazy kiosk prices in the first place.

Bovril is rank rotten, I’d charge folk £20 a cup in the hope that it’s banned from all football stadiums,  so the waft of that beefy wrongness never infiltrates my nostrils again😁

Edited by Harry Kinnear

5 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Hot water which costs electricity to heat, paper cups which costs to buy and then I imagine the profits are split between the company and the club which admittedly I don't know the details of so is just a guess. I am happy to spend £3 on a bovril if £1 is going to the club.

Business confidentiality means the terms of the contract won't be known and prices will reflect the package of goods on offer. Lot more than just the cost of the product and overheads such are purchasing, hygiene, janitorials, waste disposal, health and safety, liability insurance, gas, electric, transport, buildings, administration and on and on are reflected in the selling price.

Through experience the caterers will have good idea of products sales per item per 1,000 so within 5% +/- they will have a ball park figure of the sales. So margins per item vary according to volume.

So after these overheads are accounted for you have your true cost. For example cost of good £10 sell at £15 cost + 50% = 33% net profit.

Club could get a 10% cut of that or is as most likely a fixed payment per game to give the club income certainly then its up to the caterer to price accordingly to maximise sales v selling price to give them the best return.

bought a pie and a cola on Saturday and actually questioned £3 for a cola cause I thought it was a mistake from the girl, the quality imo was exactly the same, but I maybe wrong but I thought the soft drink cup was smaller, so all in all not very impressed with price hike for a smaller product.

Not sure what the big deal is. Kiosks/bars whatever are all expensive at events. Near enough £4 for a coffee in coffee shops but we all go there. Can be over £6 a pint in some boozers but we pay that because its fun. Nobody has a gun to their head to buy anything from the kiosks. You're only at the stadium a couple of hours. It always puzzles me why people head to the kiosks during the game just to beat a queue. They usually miss 3 or 4 big moments over the course of the season because they were desperate for a pie and a bovril. 

4 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

You can always take your own. When I take the wee man I've always got a backpack with some snacks for him and they barely even check at the gate.

Football clubs could I guess go the way of cinemas and ban bringing your own food but I don't think any do.

Drinks are a big no no tho, just in case you've injected that capri sun for the kid with vodka or launch it at someone.  You can do 60 days in jail for it! Fucking mental

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Football clubs could I guess go the way of cinemas and ban bringing your own food but I don't think any do.

Drinks are a big no no tho, just in case you've injected that capri sun for the kid with vodka or launch it at someone.  You can do 60 days in jail for it! Fucking mental

I used to piss myself at this at Alloa. They wouldn’t  let you bring in a bottle/carton of juice in case you launched it but the terracing behind the goals used to have big lumps of concrete lying about the place 🤪

Edited by Harry Kinnear

5 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

You can always take your own. When I take the wee man I've always got a backpack with some snacks for him and they barely even check at the gate.

You certainly can’t take your own drink and are you really going to take your own hot pies?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Surprised we haven't been accused of piewanking fnar fnar by our friendly rivals 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Surprised we haven't been accused of piewanking fnar fnar by our friendly rivals 

Was thinking the same. Just a thought. Anyone with a bit of enterprise could make a few bob. Get a stall set up in the stadium perimeter with packed lunches - Small juice, Mars bar, Greggs sausage roll or pie for £4. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

We may be the crowdwanking kings but Raith take the title for piewanking, they are buying up players because of a 500% rise in pie sales.

Posted (edited)

I noticed they sold out of Kebab pies at (£4 a go) by the time I arrived at the kiosk at HT, so there’s obviously punters still willing to pay. 
Re: the bovril, why don’t FSS stage a wee protest outside next home game - consisting of a table, a jar of bovril, a tea spoon, and a kettle - then sell plastic cups of bovril for 50p each (a la Brockville back in the day). With all takings going to Strathcarron Hospice. Point made and charity wins. 

Edited by GunnerBairn

We are an emotive lot it feels like with food, decent restaurants don't set up in town as people say its too expensive, however we don't seem to mind paying more when we go into Glasgow or Edinburgh.

I can never understand when I hear folk talk about it.

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

Re: the bovril, why don’t FSS stage a wee protest outside next home game - consisting of a table, a jar of bovril, a tea spoon, and a kettle - then sell plastic cups of bovril for 50p each with all takings going to Strathcarron Hosipice. Point made and charity wins. 

That's actually been done before and was very popular. Maybe 15 years ago, Bairnstrust were given access to a big white marquee tent that was set up in the car park. They were given access to a power feed and had a water urn that was continually on the boil. It was done with club permission because the urn was constantly refilled with water from inside the stadium. Coffee, bovril, tea and snacks were available for everyone in the vicinity from 0900 to just before kickoff. The food was purchased from a local warehouse from a committee member who had a card for it and sold on at prices far cheaper than the stadium kiosks. All profits went back to the club. 

I know because I was one of the two people who served the customers, along with a lovely older lady who's still around. 

No harm in FSS asking if they can set up something similar. The son of that lady is still involved with them. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Bovril is rank rotten, I’d charge folk £20 a cup in the hope that it’s banned from all football stadiums,  so the waft of that beefy wrongness never infiltrates my nostrils again😁

I’ve recently found out that Bovril gives me extreme gout so it’s off my agenda as are the steak pies that use yeast extract to flavour them. This is something I miss, but I guess I won’t be complaining about prices. 

Edited by Roboccop

On a different topic the Untouchables book has now sold 200 pre sales. That means every penny from every additional sale from now on will go to McGlynn’s playing budget. If it sells out then that’s equivalent to half a loan player. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Hot water which costs electricity to heat, paper cups which costs to buy and then I imagine the profits are split between the company and the club which admittedly I don't know the details of so is just a guess. I am happy to spend £3 on a bovril if £1 is going to the club.

Do Falkirk not just get a set price for giving them the contract and after that it's up to the company what they charge etc.