The Falkirk FC Thread

21 goals and assists in 35 league games for us last season isn't to be sniffed at, he isn't a natural infront of goal but he's excels at everything else you'd want from a lone striker and like Nesbitt must be a nightmare to play against. 

We'd all like a bit of competition for him up there but MacIver will do just fine for now.

Just remember how much of a difference it made to our season the year before when Alegria left and we didn't have a physical striker to balance out the rest of the team.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

21 goals and assists in 35 league games for us last season isn't to be sniffed at, he isn't a natural infront of goal but he's excels at everything else you'd want from a lone striker and like Nesbitt must be a nightmare to play against. 

We'd all like a bit of competition for him up there but MacIver will do just fine for now.

Just remember how much of a difference it made to our season the year before when Alegria left and we didn't have a physical striker to balance out the rest of the team.

Where is Algeria these days? Would actually make an excellent like for like back up for Ross! 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

His record for France is around the 1 in 3 mark whilst mbappe is one in less than 2 games.  Giroud  In his latter years though he wasnt as prolific and was used as a classic CF more . I don't think he scored a single goal when they won the world cup in 2018 for instance.  He still contributed goals to the side   but his main attribute was holding up play and bringing in mbappe etc. He was criticised for not scoring enough compared to his colleagues but like MacIver was an important part of the side.

You would argue black was white.

39 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I genuinely don't think I'd swap MacIver for any other striker in the lower leagues, he fits us perfectly.

Brian Graham apart I would agree.

16 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Where is Algeria these days? Would actually make an excellent like for like back up for Ross! 

Right next to Morocco I believe but we've not got money for a signing never mind a whole country.

On a serious note he's making bank in the Chinese second division for Guangzhou FC(same team that signed Jackson Martinez and Paulinho for 30 million+ each all those years ago) 

Decent return from him this season.

IMG_8789.jpeg

Some people won’t appreciate MacIver until he’s not here. Unbelievably crucial to how McGlynn wants us to play. Look at the difference having someone like him was to our team compared to the team the season before he joined. We finally have a striker who can link the full team together. Morrison, Nesbitt, Miller etc all get enough goals to cover Ross because frankly without him they wouldn’t nearly have nearly the amount of goals they do. Look at the first goal on Saturday. He flicks it round to Agyeman who forces the defender to turn it home. I’d go as far to say he’s my favourite current player due to the stick he still gets and the effort he puts in.

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Some people won’t appreciate MacIver until he’s not here. Unbelievably crucial to how McGlynn wants us to play. Look at the difference having someone like him was to our team compared to the team the season before he joined. We finally have a striker who can link the full team together. Morrison, Nesbitt, Miller etc all get enough goals to cover Ross because frankly without him they wouldn’t nearly have nearly the amount of goals they do. Look at the first goal on Saturday. He flicks it round to Agyeman who forces the defender to turn it home. I’d go as far to say he’s my favourite current player due to the stick he still gets and the effort he puts in.

The difference between having MacIver up top or somebody else was shown in the last game of last season

5 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Yeah, I was thinking Graham. Every year I expect him to slow down but he never really does - is he 37/38 now? 

36. Coaches the Partick women's team aswell I believe. He's been consistently one of the best if not the best centre forward in the lower leagues for years. If it's a swap between him and MacIver I'd take Graham. He's just more clinical. Nothing against MacIver who does his bit for the team but he needs to be more ruthless with chances that come his way.

Edited by ebobsboy

5 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Yeah, I was thinking Graham. Every year I expect him to slow down but he never really does - is he 37/38 now? 

Not sure Brian Graham would do the MacIver job as well. Yes he would score goals but would we create as much with him in the team? 

7 hours ago, SuperTuesday said:

You would argue black was white.

Christ I was just trying to explain what I meant previously.  When he was at Chelsea fans complained because he didn't score enough goals same when he was playing for France in 2018 but he was very  important to the side and the way they played in both cases. He's never going to be an mbappe(9 goals off giroud record having played 50 odd games less) or a hazard or a Morrison but they needed a player like that to feed off.

Edited by Shodwall cat

11 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

OUT NOW!

🆕🎙️EP:89 OOOH I WANNA DANCE WITH SEAN MACKIE

🔵 Review the League Cup so far 🏆
⚪️ Latest Bairns news discussed 🗞️
🔵 Pie gate! 🥧 
⚪️ Preview Stenhousemuir (H) in our final group game with @CraigGTelfer of the @terracepodcast & @TheTerraceTV ⚔️

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_0825.thumb.jpeg.58eb150f191f81adddbee80e21b8b8d4.jpeg

GIRUY Mr. Telfer 😉. Being a Larbert lad originally and being at school with at least 3 Stenny fans they all hated Falkirk.

Edited by BPM

14 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

OUT NOW!

🆕🎙️EP:89 OOOH I WANNA DANCE WITH SEAN MACKIE

🔵 Review the League Cup so far 🏆
⚪️ Latest Bairns news discussed 🗞️
🔵 Pie gate! 🥧 
⚪️ Preview Stenhousemuir (H) in our final group game with @CraigGTelfer of the @terracepodcast & @TheTerraceTV ⚔️

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_0825.thumb.jpeg.58eb150f191f81adddbee80e21b8b8d4.jpeg

Another good informative show lads.

Enjoyed the piece with Craig Telfer. Looking forward to a VFTT coming back in September too.

Thought Craig Telfer came across ok tbf. If more people had his passion for their local club rather than bootlicking an arsecheek, Scottish football would be a far better place

On Brian Graham he will be 37 this year. Much like BSLM did with us he will eventually become so immobile he stops being effective. Though strikers who were never blessed with much pace seem to be able to adapt their game better and stretch their careers further and further these days. Partick will probably get one more good season out of him though I don't think he will get as many as the 20 goals he got last year 

Looking through last year's other top scorers, with the Dundee Utd guys and Ruari Paton no longer in the league there's not much else inspiring tbh. Of the 'lone striker' mould, Ayr have probably got the two best players in Dowds and Oakley. Rudden and Shaw will probably do ok, as will Kane if he can keep himself fit. Even Todorov only managed 6 goals last season and Jack Hamilton only managed 7. Confident MacIver will get more than that and do well. Likewise Morrison, Miller and Nesbitt. But if McGlynn can pull another loan rabbit out the hat that would be a bonus. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Thought Craig Telfer came across ok tbf. If more people had his passion for their local club rather than bootlicking an arsecheek, Scottish football would be a far better place

On Brian Graham he will be 37 this year. Much like BSLM did with us he will eventually become so immobile he stops being effective. Though strikers who were never blessed with much pace seem to be able to adapt their game better and stretch their careers further and further these days. Partick will probably get one more good season out of him though I don't think he will get as many as the 20 goals he got last year 

Looking through last year's other top scorers, with the Dundee Utd guys and Ruari Paton no longer in the league there's not much else inspiring tbh. Of the 'lone striker' mould, Ayr have probably got the two best players in Dowds and Oakley. Rudden and Shaw will probably do ok, as will Kane if he can keep himself fit. Even Todorov only managed 6 goals last season and Jack Hamilton only managed 7. Confident MacIver will get more than that and do well. Likewise Morrison, Miller and Nesbitt. But if McGlynn can pull another loan rabbit out the hat that would be a bonus. 

Where has Ruari Paton gone?

Port Vale . Found it!

Edited by Bigbrbairn

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I am no fan of Dowds and especially Oakley. The latter is pretty immobile and his injury record is terrible. Rudden is not a loan striker and I have little knowledge of Shaw. I agree, for what he will be costing us, MacIver is pretty good value. I do agree we are vulnerable if he was to get an injury. 

17 hours ago, GMBairn said:

The thing big Ross needs to add to his game is just putting his fucking laces though the ball.

He needs game time, not just 20mins at a time. You can see the confidence Morrison and Miller have with starting most weeks but for any player, not just Ross, they need a good spell on the pitch to give them both time and the confidence to improve.

1 minute ago, ChrispPancake said:

He needs game time, not just 20mins at a time. You can see the confidence Morrison and Miller have with starting most weeks but for any player, not just Ross, they need a good spell on the pitch to give them both time and the confidence to improve.

He was talking about Ross MacIver not Ethan Ross.