The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I’d have liked us to have replaced Shanley as I don’t think he’s championship quality and if MacIver gets injured he’ll be the guy we rely on up top. Excellent performance today though, everyone performing at a really high standard. Queen’s Park will be no mugs, so hopefully a good week of training and we get off to a flyer on Friday. Thought Brad Spencer was the best player of the park. What a player he is.

Where do you get competition for maciver with shanley’s money? 

7 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Would've been a penalty and a red card for Buchanan if the ref didnt give the goal. No idea why Stenny were complaining 

I thought he had gone for a diving header and just got it all wrong, certainly didn't see a foul in there. I can understand Stenny's complaints. 

8 hours ago, alonso said:

TBH the guy is 33 and was top scorer in the championship 2 years ago ..... he shouldn't need time.... fair enough going full time should only improve him  but he should already be more than capable. I find it a strange signing tho especially considering Mcglynn has so far not gave him much game time, going full time at this stage of his career I don't imagine he will be on peanuts,

Based on ability I can see the argument why he wouldn’t need time. But the reality is he is the only new outfield player in this squad, even Adams was training with them since January. These players have had about 12-24 months under McGlynn, a settled way of playing, understanding their team mates strengths, what runs they make etc. You could see it yesterday the players are comfortable in that shape and rhythm. It’s arguably harder to come into a winning team and almost fit in with that, especially when you’ve not had as many minutes.

I found it strange with him, Oliver and Nesbitt all signed up to that position really but I don’t think we will be as fortunate with injuries as we were last year and he’ll definitely play a part. 

9 hours ago, alonso said:

TBH the guy is 33 and was top scorer in the championship 2 years ago ..... he shouldn't need time.... fair enough going full time should only improve him  but he should already be more than capable. I find it a strange signing tho especially considering Mcglynn has so far not gave him much game time, going full time at this stage of his career I don't imagine he will be on peanuts,

Of course it takes time. He is behind the rest playing catch up due to a pre planned holiday. He's joining a side that are all used to playing  alongside each other. He's not even started a competitive game yet. I'm not sure what people want him to do when he's only on the pitch for 20 mins here or there.  

Thought the multi ball system worked brilliantly yesterday again, one of the best improvements in recent years at the club to prevent teams time wasting.

You could see Stenny players thinking how do we waste time when the ball keeps getting thrown back to our hands/feet? Especially the goalie - all the usual stuff pretending to speak to players when the ball was thrown at him, taking the bye kicks from the opposite side (every time), going down if he was touched.

Well played to whoever organises and trains the ball boys/girls...could be worth a few extra points this season at home, when we need goals and a quick tempo. 

55 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Thought the multi ball system worked brilliantly yesterday again, one of the best improvements in recent years at the club to prevent teams time wasting.

You could see Stenny players thinking how do we waste time when the ball keeps getting thrown back to our hands/feet? Especially the goalie - all the usual stuff pretending to speak to players when the ball was thrown at him, taking the bye kicks from the opposite side (every time), going down if he was touched.

Well played to whoever organises and trains the ball boys/girls...could be worth a few extra points this season at home, when we need goals and a quick tempo. 

Also a referee who warned the goalkeeper about his time wasting early enough to snuff it out. Usually they only do it with 10 minutes to go which affects nothing. Thought referee was good yesterday although clearly MacIver scored a dodgy handball. 

3 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I thought he had gone for a diving header and just got it all wrong, certainly didn't see a foul in there. I can understand Stenny's complaints. 

Was a stonewall penalty. Buchanan took the feet from MacIver and played none of the ball.

Just now, Tea and Busquets said:

That’s not my job, how am I meant to know what money Shanley is on? Money saved on Allan and Shanley could have went in to another striker.

Maybe he had to get shot of Allan because we had overspent? Hopefully Jamie Swinney’s Falkirk Daft podcast will clear up some of the issues. 

Henderson is an example of a player who had a completely unremarkable first spell with the club but came back years later and was brilliant. 

Cant think of the last time that happened. Ryan Flynn maybe? Other suggestions on a postcard please. 

5 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Henderson is an example of a player who had a completely unremarkable first spell with the club but came back years later and was brilliant. 

Cant think of the last time that happened. Ryan Flynn maybe? Other suggestions on a postcard please. 

To be fair to both, they were both young first time round. Hendo needed to get out and gain experience while Flynn was sold directly from the Academy to Liverpool

I thought that was our best performance of the lot yesterday, we absolutely dominated from start to finish. Scored 4 and just from memory we missed 4 relatively easy chances as well as a good performance from Jamieson to stop it from being a really embarrassing result from Stenny. The only real negatives from the league cup group is the amount of good chances we've missed as we probably should have scored 7 or 8 more just from the last 3 games. However it's fantastic to see us keep creating so many chances and like someone pointed out earlier if we keep doing that it will click against someone and they will get a scudding.

Just to touch on Stenny first they were very, very poor. Defensively not quite as bad as Buckie but certainly had absolutely no impact on the game as an attacking threat. I listened to Telfer on FD during the week so I know he was talking about their poor run of form and how the goals have dried up and I know they switched formation slightly yesterday with Yates playing wide on the right instead of behind Aitken but still there was absolutely no plan of how they could potentially hurt us or look to do anything in the game. They did keep their shape well enough for the first 15 minutes or so but once Cal got in to miss his first 1 on 1 it was like the floodgates opened and we cut them open with ease from then on in. both Kyle Jacobs and Kinlay Bilham were extremely lucky to stay on the park after only getting booked for extremely poor tackles. Jacobs' caught Oliver really high on the back of the leg right on the left hand touchline was a stupid tackle to make and felt the ref bottled the decision with it being so early. With Bilham tackle I'm sure it was on Adams but the force of the tackle and the foot being off the ground I was amazed he stayed on the park. The only other thing to mention was despite playing a fairly solid 5 man midfield they never had anyone looking to pick up Spencer so he was free to drift around and constantly pick up the ball again something that was very poor and naïve from Naysmith.

Onto our own performance and I thought we were fantastic really no faults in the team. I've seen there was some discussion earlier in the thread about McKenna starting instead of Oliver but I think going by their performances of the bench last week against Buckie then there was only going to be one winner with Oliver getting 2 assists from the bench.

Really good to see Donaldson back on the pitch and felt he absolutely strolled it albeit he was up against as static as a 1 man up front as I can remember seeing. Hendo as well who for me has been our best player across the 4 games normally not a fan of him playing at the back, of course needs must the now, but he's been solid in every game and great to see him get his goal. I was surprised that McCann didn't get half an hour or so just to get some game time but even when he's back up to speed Mackie has done enough to earn the shirt now imo. He does have the occasional brainfart in him (see the goal we conceded last week) but he's playing really well at the moment and I'd also argue he's the best crosser of a ball at the club. To say Keelan Adams looks a massive upgrade on Layton Bisland I don't think would be doing him enough justice. To step up after 1 season in the Lowand League to look so good and comfortable in our team is some going. He looked great finally getting a game in his 'natural' position. Fin obviously will still start on Friday but gives us options, if we ever need to move Fin into midfield for example and just also means the drop off in quality that has been apparent in the right back position for us for years doesn't look to be there anymore.

Dylan Tait was deservedly MOM imo. It's just a joy to watch him and Spencer in midfield together. It's really hard to comprehend how he had so many poor/ineffectual loan spells before he came to us. Spencer playing as a '6' dropping deep/wide to receive the ball and be our quarterback essentially then frees up Tait to almost play like a box to box number 8. He's so tenacious out of possession and very good at winning it back and he's a goal threat. Not much more to say about Spencer is there? If you give him time and space with the ball then he's going to hurt any team in this league. Rarely wastes possession and always wants the ball. Touched on Oliver earlier thought he was fine yesterday the difference between him and Nesbitt in that role is Nesbitt not only has a better engine but he's just got more quality on the ball. Also was some miss from Oliver just before he was subbed off. 

Morrison was unusually poor in front of goal of goal as another day he'd have had his hat trick quite comfortably. Was 2 really bad misses in the first half although he took his penalty very well. Calvin Miller had another solid game as well was beating players for fun as usual and was very unlucky not to get a first half assist with the ball he fizzed in right across the 6 yard box. Both wingers will absolutely have better games in the next few months but didn't think either had a poor game either. Ross MacIver I thought was fantastic again and was really important for him to get on the scoresheet after some of the chances he missed last week. But his all round game is excellent. The hold up play, the flick ons and being the outball for the team when needed is huge and can't be overstated. The ball he played through to Morrison for I think the one that hit the bar was weighted perfectly. MacIver is the perfect striker for this team and for the way we play. Saying that I've no clue how both the ref and assistant missed the most blatant handball goal that I've ever seen 😂

17 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Aye I don't think you can count Flynn as he was nowhere even close to the first team when he moved to Liverpool.

First one that came to my mind was Tam McManus. 5 unremarkable sub appearances in the 06-07 season but was great for us in our first season down in the 10-11 season I'm sure he got around 8 goals in 16 games maybe? 

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

I thought that was our best performance of the lot yesterday, we absolutely dominated from start to finish. Scored 4 and just from memory we missed 4 relatively easy chances as well as a good performance from Jamieson to stop it from being a really embarrassing result from Stenny. The only real negatives from the league cup group is the amount of good chances we've missed as we probably should have scored 7 or 8 more just from the last 3 games. However it's fantastic to see us keep creating so many chances and like someone pointed out earlier if we keep doing that it will click against someone and they will get a scudding.

Just to touch on Stenny first they were very, very poor. Defensively not quite as bad as Buckie but certainly had absolutely no impact on the game as an attacking threat. I listened to Telfer on FD during the week so I know he was talking about their poor run of form and how the goals have dried up and I know they switched formation slightly yesterday with Yates playing wide on the right instead of behind Aitken but still there was absolutely no plan of how they could potentially hurt us or look to do anything in the game. They did keep their shape well enough for the first 15 minutes or so but once Cal got in to miss his first 1 on 1 it was like the floodgates opened and we cut them open with ease from then on in. both Kyle Jacobs and Kinlay Bilham were extremely lucky to stay on the park after only getting booked for extremely poor tackles. Jacobs' caught Oliver really high on the back of the leg right on the left hand touchline was a stupid tackle to make and felt the ref bottled the decision with it being so early. With Bilham tackle I'm sure it was on Adams but the force of the tackle and the foot being off the ground I was amazed he stayed on the park. The only other thing to mention was despite playing a fairly solid 5 man midfield they never had anyone looking to pick up Spencer so he was free to drift around and constantly pick up the ball again something that was very poor and naïve from Naysmith.

Onto our own performance and I thought we were fantastic really no faults in the team. I've seen there was some discussion earlier in the thread about McKenna starting instead of Oliver but I think going by their performances of the bench last week against Buckie then there was only going to be one winner with Oliver getting 2 assists from the bench.

Really good to see Donaldson back on the pitch and felt he absolutely strolled it albeit he was up against as static as a 1 man up front as I can remember seeing. Hendo as well who for me has been our best player across the 4 games normally not a fan of him playing at the back, of course needs must the now, but he's been solid in every game and great to see him get his goal. I was surprised that McCann didn't get half an hour or so just to get some game time but even when he's back up to speed Mackie has done enough to earn the shirt now imo. He does have the occasional brainfart in him (see the goal we conceded last week) but he's playing really well at the moment and I'd also argue he's the best crosser of a ball at the club. To say Keelan Adams looks a massive upgrade on Layton Bisland I don't think would be doing him enough justice. To step up after 1 season in the Lowand League to look so good and comfortable in our team is some going. He looked great finally getting a game in his 'natural' position. Fin obviously will still start on Friday but gives us options, if we ever need to move Fin into midfield for example and just also means the drop off in quality that has been apparent in the right back position for us for years doesn't look to be there anymore.

Dylan Tait was deservedly MOM imo. It's just a joy to watch him and Spencer in midfield together. It's really hard to comprehend how he had so many poor/ineffectual loan spells before he came to us. Spencer playing as a '6' dropping deep/wide to receive the ball and be our quarterback essentially then frees up Tait to almost play like a box to box number 8. He's so tenacious out of possession and very good at winning it back and he's a goal threat. Not much more to say about Spencer is there? If you give him time and space with the ball then he's going to hurt any team in this league. Rarely wastes possession and always wants the ball. Touched on Oliver earlier thought he was fine yesterday the difference between him and Nesbitt in that role is Nesbitt not only has a better engine but he's just got more quality on the ball. Also was some miss from Oliver just before he was subbed off. 

Morrison was unusually poor in front of goal of goal as another day he'd have had his hat trick quite comfortably. Was 2 really bad misses in the first half although he took his penalty very well. Calvin Miller had another solid game as well was beating players for fun as usual and was very unlucky not to get a first half assist with the ball he fizzed in right across the 6 yard box. Both wingers will absolutely have better games in the next few months but didn't think either had a poor game either. Ross MacIver I thought was fantastic again and was really important for him to get on the scoresheet after some of the chances he missed last week. But his all round game is excellent. The hold up play, the flick ons and being the outball for the team when needed is huge and can't be overstated. The ball he played through to Morrison for I think the one that hit the bar was weighted perfectly. MacIver is the perfect striker for this team and for the way we play. Saying that I've no clue how both the ref and assistant missed the most blatant handball goal that I've ever seen 😂.

If the club are looking for something to write match reports they've found their guy. Spot on analysis. 

Can’t be the only one who noticed that stenny outfield players didn’t have names on their shirts just numbers but the keeper did.

Tinpot stuff.

11 hours ago, alonso said:

... fair enough going full time should only improve him but he should already be more than capable...

This. It's the small moments where for someone of his experience I expected he'd exhibit the quality and nous.

For the "marquee" signing of the summer - so far - I'm just slightly underwhelmed.

15 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

This. It's the small moments where for someone of his experience I expected he'd exhibit the quality and nous.

For the "marquee" signing of the summer - so far - I'm just slightly underwhelmed.

How is he a “marquee’ signing like?

46 minutes ago, Russ said:

Morrison was unusually poor in front of goal of goal as another day he'd have had his hat trick quite comfortably. Was 2 really bad misses in the first half although he took his penalty very well. Calvin Miller had another solid game as well was beating players for fun as usual and was very unlucky not to get a first half assist with the ball he fizzed in right across the 6 yard box. Both wingers will absolutely have better games in the next few months but didn't think either had a poor game either. Ross MacIver I thought was fantastic again and was really important for him to get on the scoresheet after some of the chances he missed last week. But his all round game is excellent. The hold up play, the flick ons and being the outball for the team when needed is huge and can't be overstated. The ball he played through to Morrison for I think the one that hit the bar was weighted perfectly. MacIver is the perfect striker for this team and for the way we play. Saying that I've no clue how both the ref and assistant missed the most blatant handball goal that I've ever seen 😂

Excellent article that puts the drivel these sports journalist impersonators churn out to shame.