The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

I think there are a couple of players that have somewhat gone under the radar for the vast improvement they have made. Gary Oliver is one of them imo. It's hard to compare him to Nesbit because Nesbit just has that speed and creativity. But Gary Oliver is solid and is more than good enough for what he is doing now. Thought he was excellent at the weekend. 

Nicky Hogarth is another I think deserves a mention. Don't know what happened over the summer but he has come on leaps and bounds and is playing to confidence and determination. Been very impressed with him from the start of this season. 

I’m just judging him based on what I’d like to see from a player in that role - physical, creative, someone who can get in behind MacIver and chip in with goals. I think Oliver definitely needs to add more goals to his game. But McGlynn obviously sees something in him that I don’t so who am I to argue, he’s better qualified than anyone else to make that call.

Couldn’t agree more regarding Hogarth. He’s been absolutely brilliant so far.

Edited by MSG GTF!

36 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

I think there are a couple of players that have somewhat gone under the radar for the vast improvement they have made. Gary Oliver is one of them imo. It's hard to compare him to Nesbit because Nesbit just has that speed and creativity. But Gary Oliver is solid and is more than good enough for what he is doing now. Thought he was excellent at the weekend. 

Nicky Hogarth is another I think deserves a mention. Don't know what happened over the summer but he has come on leaps and bounds and is playing to confidence and determination. Been very impressed with him from the start of this season. 

Hogarth been complete class. His physicality and height has shone through this season. No doubts he is our no.1 

9 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Hogarth been complete class. His physicality and height has shone through this season. No doubts he is our no.1 

🙌 & thought that the way he started on Saturday with coming off his line to grab ball at striker’s feet spoke volumes for both his physical & mental courage following penalty given against him previous week.

Said at the time but the opening games have shown exactly why Oliver got a new contract.

Barring getting subbed because he had a knock at cappielow he's played 90 minutes in all our league games and against hearts and we've won them all.

He's a solid, reliable championship quality player who retains possession, breaks up play and does a lot of hard yards.

Nesbitt is a player I think a lot of us think has a higher potential since he's younger and could develop into more than a championship player but he's only 2 years younger than Oliver and could be close to his ceiling as well.

Oliver can adequately fill that role in his absence and would almost certainly get another championship gig if he left us.

13 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Barring getting subbed because he had a knock at cappielow he's played 90 minutes in all our league games and against hearts and we've won them all.

Aside from Cappielow, he’s been subbed in every league game, and against Hearts, around the 65/70min mark.

3 hours ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Spot on regarding Nicky. He's so good these days. Made a bit of a hash of a clearance on Saturday but more than made up for it with a big save. Sneddon isn't available but once he is, I don't see how he gets a look in.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Looking forward to Sunday. Albeit swore I’d never set a foot in any of the arse holes caves, after the previous bile drowning from the stands. Not sure if McGlynn will go with the same format, expect to see a more reserved format. 

Can't see McGlynn changing much. 

We may need to set our stall out a little deeper but the formation or style won't really change.  We may need to go a little longer more often as Celtics press will be more intense than anything we have faced so will need to hope McIver has a good game and can make things stick.

Edited by MulsonFFC

Of all our players, Mackie and Adams are going to have the toughest shifts next week.

Celtic really look to use the width they have and use the front-post/penalty spot cut-backs to score. We've got to ensure the back four don't get ragged and defend the box in numbers. 

Everyone will have to be at-it from the off for us. Really looking forward to the game.

3 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

OUT NOW P&B Bairns👇🏼. Let us know your thoughts on this weeks extra long podcast (we’ve had a few lately). 

🆕🎙️EP:97 BRING ON THE CELTIC

🔵 Review the 2-0 win over Airdrie with guest pundit & Elliot’s legend Brian Stuart ♦️
⚪️ EXCLUSIVE interview with Paul Berry - Sales Manager for @ONeillsSportsUK 👕
🔵 Preview the Celtic cup tie with Chris Toal from @Pint2Shots podcast & Craig McCaffery 🍀
⚪️ PLUS All of the latest FFC news dissected 🗞️

Sponsors: Falkirk FFIT T8’s & Behind The Wall 🤝🏼

E96D01B8-5F8E-43E9-97A5-8ADDC98A3130.thumb.jpeg.98a237e1f36b46d1158dff0714274d72.jpeg

Loved the O’Neills interview, really interesting and the thought of a chessboard retro has me very excited 😁

18 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Of all our players, Mackie and Adams are going to have the toughest shifts next week.

Celtic really look to use the width they have and use the front-post/penalty spot cut-backs to score. We've got to ensure the back four don't get ragged and defend the box in numbers. 

Everyone will have to be at-it from the off for us. Really looking forward to the game.

Celtic will do what Celtic do. At the opposition throat from kick off, high tempo, pressed back try for early goals to get the game won. Control the game and run it out with subs galore. First 20 minutes as with the Hearts game will dictate how the cup tie goes.

Enjoy the occasion and good experience for the younger players.

5 hours ago, MSG GTF! said:

What the f**k are you talking about? Absolutely no one was “slagging off Gary Oliver”. I replied to a comment on the Airdrie pre-match thread that I wouldn’t be starting Oliver as I felt we had better options and he didn’t merit starting after his performance at Cappielow (where McGlynn hooked him at half time). I don’t think he’s good enough to be starting matches for us in the Championship, just as others don’t feel Shanley is up to the required standard either. But every time Oliver plays he gets my full support as does any Falkirk player. Don’t f**king dare try and insinuate that this is some sort of witch-hunt!

Oliver was injured at Cappielow.

3 hours ago, Kircer bairn said:

🙌 & thought that the way he started on Saturday with coming off his line to grab ball at striker’s feet spoke volumes for both his physical & mental courage following penalty given against him previous week.

He's been our most improved player by some distance. Spreads himself brilliantly and commands his box much better.

He's a great No. 1 at this level.

As a side note - for all the fellow saddos out there who find this stuff interesting - if Oliver starts against Raith in two weeks time, in what will be our sixth league game, he’ll already have equalled the number of league matches he started all of last season. Pretty mad stat.

Nicky is benefitting now from the fact he's playing every week and isn't having to drop out just when he's got settled into the role to allow long to play. I'm sure we'd have seen more of this form last season if he'd been given the chance to play longer.  Best trainer at the club as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Been thinking about how we should setup. If we played our normal attacking style against Celtic, we'd undoubtedly lose a ton of goals given their strength and firepower. Why don't we be a bit more coy in our approach and setup 4-5-1 or 5-4-1, soak up their attacks and hit on the break. It's obviously very alien for us to setup this way, given recent seasons we've been attacking and scoring for fun. I'm thinking since this game is a 'free hit' why dont we be coy and confuse Celtic as to how we setup. Worth a shot, with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Edited by GunnerBairn