The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

A lot depends unfortunately on these rumoured contract clauses that Baird and Kerr are meant to have.

Don't agree. Baird played in every league game last season, with only two of his appearances coming from the bench. Kerr played 31 out of 36. Those statistics make it quite obvious that they're amongst the first names on the teamsheet.

Players who're first picks will generally always get a new contract, unless their wage demands are excessive or the manager is 100% certain that he can get better elsewhere. Houston will obviously try ti sign better, but until the replacements prove their worth on the pitch I doubt Kerr & Baird would have been ditched -  regardless of contract clauses. For me that's just a red herring.

As a general rule, teams who make wholescale changes from year to year tend not to do very well the following season. Examples would be Livingston in recent years or us when May ditched most of Yogis team.

We'll be keeping the majority of the current team that finished second and try to add a few pieces of quality to get us over the line next year. That was always going to be the case and contract clauses will have no impact on that decision. 

8 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Pretty pissed off we have kept Watson. Complete liability.

If he'd let Watson go we'd essentially only have two CBs, one of whom who seems unable to not fall over on a regular basis. Kerr however bothers me more as he's taken to passing the ball directly to the opposition.  

Edited by PipoIsABairn

Don't agree. Baird played in every league game last season, with only two of his appearances coming from the bench. Kerr played 31 out of 36. Those statistics make it quite obvious that they're amongst the first names on the teamsheet. Players who're first picks will generally always get a new contract, unless their wage demands are excessive or the manager is 100% certain that he can get better elsewhere. Houston will obviously try ti sign better, but until the replacements prove their worth on the pitch I doubt Kerr & Baird would have been ditched -  regardless of contract clauses. For me that's just a red herring.

As a general rule, teams who make wholescale changes from year to year tend not to do very well the following season. Examples would be Livingston in recent years or us when May ditched most of Yogis team.

We'll be keeping the majority of the current team that finished second and try to add a few pieces of quality to get us over the line next year. That was always going to be the case and contract clauses will have no impact on that decision. 

I don't agree on the wholesale changes bit TBH. I remember 1990 and 2003 for example and the opposite when by not making changes we flopped e.g. 2011

For me it is all about the squad you put together whether it is almost completely new or has only one or two additions it makes no difference.

I personally would like a bigger turn around than appears to be on the cards. Let's face it guts of this squad has now failed 3 times to get up under Houston. So why is it going to succeed when it is 3 years older?

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I personally would like a bigger turn around than appears to be on the cards. Let's face it guts of this squad has now failed 3 times to get up under Houston. So why is it going to succeed when it is 3 years older?

Hopefully because the four clubs that could outspend us over the last 3 years will be gone, which may have a knockon effect of releasing more money for the squad to get that little bit extra quality.

I don't disagree with some of the negative comments - I personally would have liked to see a bit more turnover in the squad - but it was never going to happen. That's the managers choice and he has to get it right this time.  

Hopefully because the four clubs that could outspend us over the last 3 years will be gone, which may have a knockon effect of releasing more money for the squad to get that little bit extra quality.
I don't disagree with some of the negative comments - I personally would have liked to see a bit more turnover in the squad - but it was never going to happen. That's the managers choice and he has to get it right this time.  

First signs of insanity is to do the same things that keep failing and expecting them to suddenly work.

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Could be totally wrong but shouldn't it be the case that we'd have less money to play with as you'd expect the gates to be lower now without those four clubs?

Unsure on why people are claiming we need a playmaker more than a new striker? Played Craigen in his actually positions on 3 occasions this year and shock, scored in all 3 and was one the best players on the park, play him behind Austin and a proper goalscoring striker next year and i'll be confident going into next year

I think Taiwo is a useful player to have so I'm quite happy for him to stick around. I'm suprised Watson is staying because he not guarenteed a start here and I thought he might move somewhere where he'd be first choice. Having Kerr around is fine if is making more of a move away from playing every week in the first team and being at the heart of our midfield; he could be a useful sub to shore games up but if he being kept to play most weeks then it is a fucking terrible decision.

1 minute ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Could be totally wrong but shouldn't it be the case that we'd have less money to play with as you'd expect the gates to be lower now without those four clubs?

The gates and revenue may be lower but we'll be in a better position when compared with our direct rivals for the title.

Glad Watson has signed, he is better than Luca. Taiwo is good at breaking up play and passing it simple so has his uses but adds absolute zero going forward, playing an incisive pass or breaking into the box. Kerr will need to be used sparingly. He is a squad player, nothing more. Wouldn't have been disappointed if they had both gone but Houston knows best.

9 minutes ago, RichieBairn said:

Glad Watson has signed, he is better than Luca. Taiwo is good at breaking up play and passing it simple so has his uses but adds absolute zero going forward, playing an incisive pass or breaking into the box. Kerr will need to be used sparingly. He is a squad player, nothing more. Wouldn't have been disappointed if they had both gone but Houston knows best.

I would agree with this.  I was increasingly annoyed every time Kerr played last season, but he was great for 1 and a half games in the playoffs.  Hopefully we can drop him in now and again, but he shouldn't be a regular starter.