The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, RichieBairn said:

Not impressed with Taiwo, think fans are deluded if they think he is the answer. When was the last time he provided an assist? Hasn't got a football brain like Sibbs or Craigen. Squad player at the very most!! Surely you have to have more about you than tackle, that's all he can do and very one dimensional!!

An assist? he's not in the middle to assist - he's there to break up attacks. He's not a creative player that has failed to come up with the goods.

On the subject of Austin. Was a comment a few back saying he's still raw. Been thinking that arguably our two most recent successes have come through Leahy and Vaulks...both were hear well over a season before 'coming good' and turning into top performers in our team.

I see reason why that can't happen with Austin, Gallagher or Hippo for the coming season. 

We need to get RB sorted asap. It's been an issue for years and really holds us back. I'd make that top priority for a signing.

8 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

On the subject of Austin. Was a comment a few back saying he's still raw. Been thinking that arguably our two most recent successes have come through Leahy and Vaulks...both were hear well over a season before 'coming good' and turning into top performers in our team.

I see reason why that can't happen with Austin, Gallagher or Hippo for the coming season. 

We need to get RB sorted asap. It's been an issue for years and really holds us back. I'd make that top priority for a signing.

Having a decent striker playing beside Austin would make a huge difference. Someone with a decent touch that can hold on to the ball whilst Austin is better running on to things. Loy would be perfect.

32 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Leahy played in the number 10 role during preseason in the Highlands and did well enough to get a contract on the back of that. He then spent the next two years playing the part of a not-very-good midfielder. TBH, he should have been released at the end of his contract before Holt inexplicably gave him a new deal just before returning South. 

I think Houston deserves a lot of credit because he turned Leahy into a very decent left back who did a reasonable job of replacing Kingsley. That's one of the things I like about Houston - he takes average players and makes them better, as he did with the two mentioned above. I have a suspicion that now he's survived his first season as a full timer Austin will be very good for us next year. 

I'm ok with Tommy T signing again, I thought he had a far better season this year compared to the season before. I get what some are saying re a tougher approach, but he didn't need to as his tackling was so accurate this year.

Again, I would have Watson as my first choice CH.

Although, my natural reaction when I saw how little were released was one of FFS, so hopefully we don't persist with Kerr starting.

Baird needs to go for me, he can't pass a ball, runs about in the wrong areas of the pitch and certainly doesn't score enough for a number 9. 

If Sibbs goes, I've not got a clue who we get in to replace, I'm a big fan, but maybe getting a player for the right position might actually help the team as we played him IMO in the wrong part of the team.

Also, desperate for a right back, no chance are we winning the league with Muirhead there.

Edited by Super Tuesday

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Can anyone enlighten me what the problem with Tom Taiwo re-signing is? Are we looking to be so cavalier that we need no steel in our team whatsoever? Taiwo has been fantastic in a good few games this season. I have man love for him and his tackling skills.

Perhaps the cameo role as sub on Friday has a little to with it, being below poor as an attacking right mid, his tackling was as expected tho. Square pegs round holes with him at times tho.

I've no problem at all with him signing, tho is a little injury prone, which maybe another added factor to the no brigade.

The injury thing has also had me concerned over McKee too if signed.

6 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

2003 - Russell Latapy

TBF most of our fans thought he was a pissed up gigolo who pissed up his career in recent years pre.

All of the above was correct but only showed glimpses that season having yogi ending up playing him as a striker due to us having no strikers down to his clown skool management.

2004 onwards tho .......hmmmm

Edited by MrDust

Leahy played in the number 10 role during preseason in the Highlands and did well enough to get a contract on the back of that. He then spent the next two years playing the part of a not-very-good midfielder. TBH, he should have been released at the end of his contract before Holt inexplicably gave him a new deal just before returning South. 

I think Houston deserves a lot of credit because he turned Leahy into a very decent left back who did a reasonable job of replacing Kingsley. That's one of the things I like about Houston - he takes average players and makes them better, as he did with the two mentioned above. I have a suspicion that now he's survived his first season as a full timer Austin will be very good for us next year. 

I thought Luke Leahy developed into a decent LB, his weakness was pace defending but had really good pace going forward? For a player his size he was very good in the air too.

Was dropped unfairly last season to accommodate Gallagher and put him in the shop window.

4 or 5 top drawer goals from a LB cannot be understated... When he scored, he definitely scored, no tap ins for him[emoji3]

Sorry to see the lad go and all the best to him. His commitment was unquestionable

9 hours ago, MrDust said:

TBF most of our fans thought he was a pissed up gigolo who pissed up his career in recent years pre.

All of the above was correct but only showed glimpses that season having yogi ending up playing him as a striker due to us having no strikers down to his clown skool management.

2004 onwards tho .......hmmmm

I was only 15 at the time so wasn't too bothered about any of the background stuff. Just delighted we had a 'big' player like him come to us and couldn't wait to see him in a Falkirk strip.

We can only dream of those days now.

I'm sure I am not the only Bairns fan who lools at the club just now & feels really discouraged & demotivated by the news of yesterday's resignings.

It seems to me we need a radical change in par with what happened some 14 years ago a la the ruthless purging that McCall brought..........unfortunately that would be counter intuitive for Houston who is the epitome of old school caution.

We can only dream of those days now.
I'm sure I am not the only Bairns fan who lools at the club just now & feels really discouraged & demotivated by the news of yesterday's resignings.
It seems to me we need a radical change in par with what happened some 14 years ago a la the ruthless purging that McCall brought..........unfortunately that would be counter intuitive for Houston who is the epitome of old school caution.

You won't get radical change until the ownership of the club changes.

The biggest supported non City Club in Scotland at the moment and we are now entering our 8th year in this hell hole.

The only constant in that time has been the ownership.

The biggest supported non City Club in Scotland at the moment and we are now entering our 8th year in this hell hole.

And that's not going to change anytime soon, not with Coco the Clown as Chairman.

And that's not going to change anytime soon, not with Coco the Clown as Chairman.

I would doubt it, not that he owns any shares

38 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I realise that but surely the manager should realise that too. If he's happy to go along with this then surely he's not the man for us?

I realise that but surely the manager should realise that too. If he's happy to go along with this then surely he's not the man for us?

Houston is our 3rd manager since going down. They didn't succeed either and against clubs much nearer our size than Houston has had to compete with.

He clearly said we need a better quality of player in his interview post last Friday.

That costs money. The signings so far indicate to me so far that investment is not forthcoming. He has a year left on his contract so I assume he is going to have one last go bearing in mind there is no massive clubs to compete with this coming season.

It's obvious to anyone watching us this season that we lack a bit of quality. A decent squad of decent interchangeable players with Sibbald being a shade above the rest.

I think we need to push the boat out for a decent RB, CM and striker. Don't break the bank but don't spread out the wages for 7 players, 4 of whom will sit on the bench every week.

3 players on 1 year deals who can lift the rest of the team and fill in the squad with some of the youth players.

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Houston is our 3rd manager since going down. They didn't succeed either and against clubs much nearer our size than Houston has had to compete with.

He clearly said we need a better quality of player in his interview post last Friday.

That costs money. The signings so far indicate to me so far that investment is not forthcoming. He has a year left on his contract so I assume he is going to have one last go bearing in mind there is no massive clubs to compete with this coming season.

If I was him I'd be letting them know that if investment is not  forthcoming then I'm off. At the end of the day there's no point in saying we need more quality if the funds to carry that out aren't made available. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he walked and told the fans why he was walking than simply putting his head down and getting on with it whilst our competitors strengthen.

If I was him I'd be letting them know that if investment is not  forthcoming then I'm off. At the end of the day there's no point in saying we need more quality if the funds to carry that out aren't made available. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he walked and told the fans why he was walking than simply putting his head down and getting on with it whilst our competitors strengthen.

That's all very well but it is his livelihood remember. I am sure he is no pauper but would you do that with nothing to go to.

There are meetings today maybe we will see something in the next few days. Who knows