The Falkirk FC Thread

If we have any sort of ambition we must compete with our rivals. Failure to gain promotion next year would be potentially disastrous. Can't keep serving up the same old mediocrity and expect the fans to blindly buy it.

Agree 100%

But we'll need to shift some players to free up budget. The big squad we bleated about all season made not one jot of impact in the home tie against a 'tired' DU last Friday.

Get the quality in and ship out the hasbeens!!!

Get the purse strings opened please

36 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Agree 100%

But we'll need to shift some players to free up budget. The big squad we bleated about all season made not one jot of impact in the home tie against a 'tired' DU last Friday.

Get the quality in and ship out the hasbeens!!!

Get the purse strings opened please

Yeah thats why we should be getting rid of the likes of Kerr and Baird too. We also don't need to have both Gasparotto and Watson on the books if you ask me. One of them would do. That would increase the freed list and surely allow us to bring in one decent striker, one decent midfielder with a bit of dig, a decent right back and a decent right mid or mckee if he can prove his fitness. The only other area we're short in would be a cheap steady backup left back to young gallacher. Quality not quantity should be our mantra with the likes of Shepherd, Miller  and O'Hara as the backup strikers.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Austin as a back up striker ?? Hes only just been getting game time and has proved he can score goals so I don't see him as back up and certainly has quality, one of our few actually. A decent striker with a bit of experience to play along side him please, one that can play 90mins.

1 hour ago, PipoIsABairn said:

I was surprised to see Cameron Eadie on that list, I thought there was a player there. Also if McMinn is gone you have to assume we will be in for a 2nd string Goalie otherwise it's Thomson or bust.

I imagine we'll bring in two keepers. If not, then when the U20 keeper plays matches at Inverness, Dingwall, Peterhead, Forfar & Montrose (we visited all those places last season) then Robbie Thomson would have to travel too as backup. Hardly ideal.

I have no complaints with the youth players released. Nobody at that level will be the finished article, but none of them appeared to be getting any better than they were two years ago.

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I imagine we'll bring in two keepers. If not, then when the U20 keeper plays matches at Inverness, Dingwall, Peterhead, Forfar & Montrose (we visited all those places last season) then Robbie Thomson would have to travel too as backup. Hardly ideal.

I have no complaints with the youth players released. Nobody at that level will be the finished article, but none of them appeared to be getting any better than they were two years ago.

Assuming there isn't a youth keeper we've not seen. You have to imagine they had more than just McMinn in and around the club at that level?

10 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Austin as a back up striker ?? Hes only just been getting game time and has proved he can score goals so I don't see him as back up and certainly has quality, one of our few actually. A decent striker with a bit of experience to play along side him please, one that can play 90mins.

Sorry my bad I meant o'hara. Doh!

2 hours ago, Senator Frimpton said:

Was surprised at McMinn, assumed he'd be number 2 next season. Maybe he prefers game time at a lower level.

Allegedly slagging the club off at the Gala awards - can't imagine it went down too well.

Just put an extra outfield player on the bench. Youth results don't matter. If we are mandated to put one there then stick a 13 year old on the bench.

I'd be very happy with Austin, Loy, O'Hara and Miller as our strike force. Can take it or leave it with Bairdy.

I'd love Austin n O'Hara up top on the opening day and for the goals to just flow.

We are gagging for a fast start. Its been our Achilles heel in recent seasons. If we get one here I fancy us for the title.

Scott McDonald.

46 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

In 2 and a half seasons John Baird hasn't scored a single goal for Falkirk when he's come on as a substitute. McHugh has scored 7. Some of them in very important fixtures against big sides. If we're relying on Baird this season as a starting striker then we may as well forget any chance of winning the league. His career is on the wane and he is the kind of player who needs to play every week. There is no point in having him as an impact sub as that's not his game. If it was up to me I'd have booted both him and McHugh but if we're keeping one as a backup striker I'd have McHugh because evidence shows that he is a more effective off the bench  than Baird. And thats over more than two games against United.

Baird 3 league sub appearances v McHugh league sub appearances 31, yep I see your logic......

The same logic that is signing players to sit on the bench

funnily I like to sign players that can play from the start and McHugh has had one good start last season and numerous horror shows, the 35 mins on Friday was one of the most pathetic displays of effort and presence I have seen

1 hour ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Assuming there isn't a youth keeper we've not seen. You have to imagine they had more than just McMinn in and around the club at that level?

There are keepers at all levels of Forth Valley Academy. The next oldest would have been Peter Bery, who was released in the summer. I don't know the age of Jay Cantley, who's presumably the next in line, but he came on at Ochilview when McMinn was sent off and promptly conceded several goals. He's literally just a wee boy and would have no chance in a Development league against grown men.  

What's the situation with Lewis Vaughan at Raith now they're relegated? I'd take a punt on him and Austin up top, he looked quite lively against us when he was at Dumbarton and his FM potential is sublime [emoji849] I kid about that last part...

Bairds brother on twitter defending his brother which is fair enough. I'd keep Baird as I wouldn't want him to play against us next season as he's always good for a goal against us before joining.

Baird, Austin, O'Hara and one other will be fine for the championship with of course Big sexy on the bench.

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

Baird 3 league sub appearances v McHugh league sub appearances 31, yep I see your logic......

The same logic that is signing players to sit on the bench

funnily I like to sign players that can play from the start and McHugh has had one good start last season and numerous horror shows, the 35 mins on Friday was one of the most pathetic displays of effort and presence I have seen

God this is hard work.Baird isn't good enough to start for us and neither is McHugh surely you can understand that? As Ive already said if we start with Baird up front we wont win anything this year as we saw when he was [partnered with Austin on Friday night. If your happy to have him as your starting striker then on you go but to win this league we need to sign a striker that will guarantee us 15-20 goals a season. If Baird is getting kept on as a backup then to me its a waste of a wage as he is not suited to coming on off the bench and we already have Miller, O'Hara and Shepherd as backup strikers. There is absolutely no reason to sign Baird, a player who needs to play every week, to sit on the bench. That's why I'd rather have McHugh if we have to have either as a sub because he has a better history of coming off the bench and scoring goals even if he was poor on Friday. Ideally though both would be away.