The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Sun linking us heavily with Paul Watson, what’s the verdict?

Average, can be decent and invisible with it, in that you will never come away saying Watson was superb today.

He is prone to a mistake and his marking can be very questionable.

He was pish with Luca and only slightly better with McCracken on occasion, I'll be pleased if you sign him

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

:eek:

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I thought he was okay. good squad player. very good in the air for his size. scores now and again from corners. not many ffc fans on here had the same opinion though

2 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

I actually never minded him. The partnership between him and Grant before Grant's injury was very good. 

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Watsons a mid to bottom of the championship standard of player.  Always liable to make a cockup  not really great in the air or on the deck and horrendous if played anywhere else but centrehalf.  Certainly nowhere good enough if you want promoted and are thinking of playing him most weeks.

2 hours ago, ka202 said:

Didn’t mind him at all. Good squad player. Not bad in the air, really tries, cannot fault his attitude at all, committed player, last ditch defender.

Injury prone, liable to one f**k up per game, gets caught out sometimes, gives away a lot of fouls around the box.

2 hours ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Will look perfectly acceptable, sometimes for entire games, and then suddenly, for no reason, will boot the ball in the complete wrong direction and then proceed to fall to pieces for the rest of the game like he just remembered some kind of traumatic childhood experience. You'd better hope your other Centre Half has some kind of ability to organise him if you are planning on playing him regularly.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Paul Watson is ok at this level. Not great or shite just bang average really. As has been said he was great during our great run a few seasons ago playing alongside Peter Grant but when paired with anyone else he didn’t look anywhere near as good.

Certainly a better option than playing Stewart Murdoch there.

Be really surprised if he ends up at Dundee United however. Really expected him to end up at like Queen of the South or Raith. A team probably paying the lower wages of full-time football.

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Unremarkable journeyman.

Ideal for QoS.

21 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Average, can be decent and invisible with it, in that you will never come away saying Watson was superb today.

He is prone to a mistake and his marking can be very questionable.

He was pish with Luca and only slightly better with McCracken on occasion, I'll be pleased if you sign him

So what you're saying is that he is basically Mark Durnan?

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

He's an upgrade on Durnan. 

If upgrade is a word that means the same but with less concentration. Which it doesn't. 

Agree with most of what has been said, but will add his distribution was fucking chronic. Often waited to long looking for a easy pass, then had to hoof, or wait till a midfielder (often Taiwo) to come short enough for him, who then had a forward right on top of him. Gave me the fear when Watson controlled a ball rather than first time clearance/header

27 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I didn't mean to imply that Watson's a bad player with my reaction, more surprise that a team like Utd would be interested in him.

As others have suggested he's sort of  vaguely competent , the sort of player that you don't really notice until he f**k up.

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
6 minutes ago, stumigoo said:
Well it is official now, so we are stuck with him! 

this will probably go down like a lead balloon with my fellow fans but I'd rather have Watson than our new signing Harrison at centre back. he's twice as quick. both are very competent in the air though

I would give Harrison a chance...seems like he has decent output from the back...just needs to lose a couple of inches off the waist

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
6 minutes ago, stumigoo said:
Well it is official now, so we are stuck with him! 

this will probably go down like a lead balloon with my fellow fans but I'd rather have Watson than our new signing Harrison at centre back. he's twice as quick. both are very competent in the air though

I would say that Harrison looks better with the ball at his feet, agree that Watson's faster though. Utd fans shouldn't start thinking that he's rapid though because Harrison is very slow.

14 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
15 minutes ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:
I would give Harrison a chance...seems like he has decent output from the back...just needs to lose a couple of inches off the waist

agree he is good in the air and distribution is decent I'm just really concerned how slow and either unfit or overweight he is

That can be worked on and sorted. Talent, which Watson lacks for a side competing for promotion, cannot. 

Having seen photos of Harrison at Hartlepool I think its just his size, bare in mind Hartley has already said if players aren't under a specific amount of body fat they wont even train with the first team, so given Harrison has started near enough every pre season game I don't think its an issue.