The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I knew someone would do the "he's at Chelsea" thing. 

There's a whole universe of Tesco shelf stackers who were young players at big clubs. Its no sign they are decent. 

Let's try again. 

Yes, there are a lot of shelf stackers who were at one point at a big club. Very few of them are there from the age of 8 through to under 23 level. The fact he's out on loan at his age, instead of stacking shelves would suggest that Chelsea rate him at his age level. Or were they fibbing when they said they were sending him out on loan and that they rated him? 

Telling that you picked that bit up and none of the rest. 

So what's more likely, that Sammut, Owen-Evans, Lewis and all the rest, every one of which seems to have been rated by their previous clubs or fans, are shit, or are they being badly set up, arranged and coached by a guy who seemingly has no idea what he is doing? 

14 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Exactly my thought. Don't think anything to do with the interviewer. Looks like he just can't be bothered. Not good. 

Maybe he feels he would be better off in the dressing room debriefing the players instead of running a bit of in house propaganda, which is what it is in this particular situation. We beat a colt team ffs. I don't think I've ever seen him look comfortable in front of a camera, tbf. No point reading anything into it, we've got enough to worry about without starting conspiracy theories about his post match interviews. 

Not seeing anything at all in that interview. Obviously obliged to give it, but clearly doesn’t enjoy the process.

Anyway, he seems to have recovered his composure a wee bit, and describing the start to the season as “slow” is I think, the only term he could use to diminish the reality of what we have all seen.

Anyhoo, he now has 10 days to regroup, rethink what he is doing (and either stand by it, or change it), and get after 3 points against QotS. He knows losing that game will effectively kill off a realistic “win the league” campaign before its even begun, and a draw won’t take away any of the pressure he is undoubtedly feeling.

To lose the game has to be for him, damn near unthinkable. It won’t cost him his job, but will cost him his credibility as a manager. Just about every manager will have lost three in a row, but it’s all about the context in Hartley’s case.

I think Hartley is a c**t but I don't see anything wrong with him in that interview. The questions asked required obvious answers. He then changed from questions to statements and then expected Hartley to continue it.

12 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

How did Russell look on the right last night? Was he comfortable enough?

I think the 3 at the back will be here to stay now after Hartley's comments in his interview. We will probably concede a fair few goals playing that way but will probably score more as well. 

i think he will keep with it also, team centinley looked a lot more balanced last night, 

Russell looked ok when on last night, never really put a foot wrong, and currently may be our best option there as we don't have a RWB at the club (unless u count kidd)

thing with 352 is where will greenwood fit into this? cause he's no striker as shown last night

at the moment my 3 at the back would be       Mcgee        Harrison          Muirhead

Edited by falkirkzombie

1 hour ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Exactly!

Chelsea aren't exactly renowned for their youth anyway. I can think of a few that have went on to other clubs and done ok but not that many off the top of my head. 

Chelsea have the best youth set up in the UK possibly europe . Yes a lot of them don't make it to the chelsea first team but they make a fortune selling their players to other clubs. 

Jeremie Boga 3.6 million

Jonathan Panzo 1.5 million

Bertrand Traore 8.0 million

Nathan Ake 20 million

Patrick Bamford 6 million

Dom Solanke undisclosed comp but in the millions

Christian Atsu undisclosed but in the millions

Nathaniel Chalobah undisclosed but in the millions

Thats just the last couple of seasons and is only the million pound sales. Others get moved on for transfres in the 100k's bracket.

A lot of these players are excellent but just not good enough for chelsea but that doesnt bother them as the transfer fees help fund their first team recruitment. and they still get special talent like Loftus-cheek and hudson Odoi coming through who are.Still good enough for the Bournemouth's, watfords  or Lyons though .

If you watch the FA youth cup final that Chelsea have won the past 5 or 6 years you'll see a side far better than Rangers wee boys side we faced last night.  Whilst Sammut has a good pedigree the fact that Chelsea are willing to loan him out to a club our size says it all really when his team mates were players like Tammy Abraham, Dominica Solanke, Jeremie Boga, Mason Mount and jake clark salter who are on loan at sides like Vitesse Arnhem and Derby County or in Abrahams case in the chelsea first team squad. He was exoected to get punted from chelsea last season but surprisingly they then gave him another year. By the looks of things he must have a really good agent.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Exactly my thought. Don't think anything to do with the interviewer. Looks like he just can't be bothered. Not good. 

I really dont see the point in these interviews anyway. Never ask any interesting questions like why nae full backs. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to sign mackin, sammut or TOE and have you any idea what your actually doing Paul?

5 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

i think he will keep with it also, team centinley looked a lot more balanced last night, 

Russell looked ok when on last night, never really put a foot wrong, and currently may be our best option there as we don't have a RWB at the club (unless u count kidd)

thing with 352 is where will greenwood fit into this? cause he's no striker as shown last night

at the moment my 3 at the back would be       Mcgee        Harrison          Muirhead

Russell did okay but does favour his left foot which could be seen last night when he drove up the wing a couple of times.  I'm not so keen at having a left footed rwb or rb compared to a left footed rw. 

14 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

All of them should have their cards marked for entertaining this farce and should be told not to come back for the rest of the season. Probably the same ones who were creaming themselves at the suggestion of McCoist for manager last season. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 20.54.12.png

BOOOOOOooooooooo! ( x 367)

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Chelsea have the best youth set up in the UK possibly europe . Yes a lot of them don't make it to the chelsea first team but they make a fortune selling their players to other clubs. 

Jeremie Boga 3.6 million

Jonathan Panzo 1.5 million

Bertrand Traore 8.0 million

Nathan Ake 20 million

Patrick Bamford 6 million

Dom Solanke undisclosed comp but in the millions

Christian Atsu undisclosed but in the millions

Nathaniel Chalobah undisclosed but in the millions

Thats just the last couple of seasons and is only the million pound sales. Others get moved on for transfres in the 100k's bracket.

A lot of these players are excellent but just not good enough for chelsea but that doesnt bother them as the transfer fees help fund their first team recruitment. and they still get special talent like Loftus-cheek and hudson Odoi coming through who are.Still good enough for the Bournemouth's, watfords  or Lyons though .

If you watch the FA youth cup final that Chelsea have won the past 5 or 6 years you'll see a side far better than Rangers wee boys side we faced last night.  Whilst Sammut has a good pedigree the fact that Chelsea are willing to loan him out to a club our size says it all really when his team mates were players like Tammy Abraham, Dominica Solanke, Jeremie Boga, Mason Mount and jake clark salter who are on loan at sides like Vitesse Arnhem and Derby County or in Abrahams case in the chelsea first team squad. He was exoected to get punted from chelsea last season but surprisingly they then gave him another year. By the looks of things he must have a really good agent.

Good post. I got lazy and made an assumption without thinking it through.

Edited by Falkirk_Bairn_1983

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I really dont see the point in these interviews anyway. Never ask any interesting questions like why nae full backs. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to sign mackin, sammut or TOE and have you any idea what your actually doing Paul?

Sometimes managers can be a little bit tetchy of anything they perceive as criticism. That particularly applies to "in house" media; I know of a few instances over the years where a variety of managers have taken exception to comments made during match commentaries which the average fan wouldn't think twice about making. One former FFC TV commentator was notorious for it. Note the use of the word "former".

If a TV interviewer asked your last two questions of any manager it's unlikely he'd get a civil answer. Or the chance to do another interview with that manager again. 

There are plenty of examples on youtube of managers having a real go at the press during interviews. And those  are professional interviewers with an audience of thousands, not an unpaid fan who could be kicked out his role if the manager thought he was being cheeky. And if there was a "disagreement" over the questioning, the interview would probably never see the light of day anyway.

It's not a role I'd want to do. Damned if you ask and damned if you don't.

Just now, Bainsfordbairn said:

Sometimes managers can be a little bit tetchy of anything they perceive as criticism. That particularly applies to "in house" media; I know of a few instances over the years where a variety of managers have taken exception to comments made during match commentaries which the average fan wouldn't think twice about making. One former FFC TV commentator was notorious for it. Note the use of the word "former".

If a TV interviewer asked your last two questions of any manager it's unlikely he'd get a civil answer. Or the chance to do another interview with that manager again. 

There are plenty of examples on youtube of managers having a real go at the press during interviews. And those  are professional interviewers with an audience of thousands, not an unpaid fan who could be kicked out his role if the manager thought he was being cheeky. And if there was a "disagreement" over the questioning, the interview would probably never see the light of day anyway.

It's not a role I'd want to do. Damned if you ask and damned if you don't.

I agree to a certain extent and that's why I said I really don't see the point in the interviews.  Same questions every weeks receiving the same answers.  Could he not even be asked what his thinking is behind playing 4 centrehalf's at the back so that the rest of us can perhaps get some clue of what his ideas are. Doesnt have to be seen as criticism in that way.

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I agree to a certain extent and that's why I said I really don't see the point in the interviews.  Same questions every weeks receiving the same answers.  Could he not even be asked what his thinking is behind playing 4 centrehalf's at the back so that the rest of us can perhaps get some clue of what his ideas are. Doesnt have to be seen as criticism in that way.

No idea. The guy who does the questioning is fairly well known amongst the Falkirk support; if you feel strongly about it why not contact him via social media to ask?

It might even give him a line to probe a little deeper. "Hey gaffer, we've been contacted by various fans who would like us to inquire about...…"

In general, all these sort of interviews tend to be pretty bland. They're worth doing for the occasional nugget though. My alltime favourite remains Gary Holt's rant after Phil Roberts got sent off at Alloa.

It should be part of a manager's job description IMO to give an interview to Falkirk TV whether they like it or not. Obviously there's a limit to what can be asked on an official club channel, but they should be out the door if they're not willing to justify themselves to the fans paying their wages.

9 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No idea. The guy who does the questioning is fairly well known amongst the Falkirk support; if you feel strongly about it why not contact him via social media to ask?

It might even give him a line to probe a little deeper. "Hey gaffer, we've been contacted by various fans who would like us to inquire about...…"

In general, all these sort of interviews tend to be pretty bland. They're worth doing for the occasional nugget though. My alltime favourite remains Gary Holt's rant after Phil Roberts got sent off at Alloa.

To be honest the only real info we get is regarding injuries . They'd be aswell saying any injuries and whats the latest on them . Thanks Paul.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

To be honest the only real info we get is regarding injuries . They'd be aswell saying any injuries and whats the latest on them . Thanks Paul.

"Too early to say"

"He's carrying something"

"Took a knock"

"We'll need to see over the next couple of days"

Edited by Bairn Necessities

I've been critical of Hartley so far this season but I refuse to believe that he 'doesn't give a shit'. I think he knows that he's potentially 5 games away from the end of his professional managerial career and is just showing that pressure. I struggle to believe he doesn't care.