The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Mitchell

Kidd   Muirhead  McGhee Robson

Russel   Bauben  Irving    Dunne

Petra Rudden

Given what we currently have available, i'd go with that.  Ideally bring in a RB and someone to play Right wing. At which point Kidd, Russel and McKee can fight each other for who gets to leave and who has to stay and occasionally come on when Irving runs out of legs.

I feel I should add that I would actually still be happier with :

Mitchell

Vaulks

Petra Rudden

and literally start every game with 8 men.

1 minute ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Mitchell

Russel   Bauben  Irving    Dunne

Petra Rudden

Given what we currently have available, i'd go with that.  Ideally bring in a RB and someone to play Right wing. At which point Kidd, Russel and McKee can fight each other for who gets to leave and who has to stay and occasionally come on when Irving runs out of legs.

That's definitely how I would line the defence up with what we currently have. I'd maybe put Petra at right mid with Haber up top and get Petra and Dunne to keep firing balls into the box for him, sounds good in theory :lol:

The squad that lost 3-1 to St Mirren on the opening game of last season:

Robbie Thomson - now at Raith Rovers

Aaron Muirhead - still with us

Peter Grant - now with Plymouth Argyle in League 1, although not actually getting a game

Tony Gallacher - now with Liverpool

Paul Watson - now with Dundee United

Alex Harris - now with York City in the National League

Joe McKee - still with us

Mark Kerr - now with Ayr United

Nathan Austin - now with ICT

Myles Hippolyte - now with Dunfermline

Rory Loy - now with Dunbarton

Luca Gasparotta - now with Morton

Scott Shepherd - now with Edinburgh City

Lee Miller - now with Livingston

David Mitchell - still with us

Tom Taiwo - now with Hamilton

James Craigan - now with Dunfermline

Kevin O'Hara - now with Stenhousemuir

Out of those 18 players I count 5 playing in a division lower than us, 2 playing in divisions higher than us, 6 playing at the same level (although obviously above us as we're bottom of the league), 3 still with us, and 2 playing elsewhere (I'm sure we can all agree that Liverpool are higher than us, whereas Peter Grant isn't actually getting a game in League 1).

At most you could argue 9 out of those 18 are playing for teams higher than us.

Only three of that squad are playing at a higher level than us.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Peter Grant - now with Plymouth Argyle in League 1, although not actually getting a game

Out of those 18 players I count 5 playing in a division lower than us, 2 playing in divisions higher than us, 6 playing at the same level (although obviously above us as we're bottom of the league), 3 still with us, and 2 playing elsewhere (I'm sure we can all agree that Liverpool are higher than us, whereas Peter Grant isn't actually getting a game in League 1).

Gasparotto hans't even got a club now!

16 hours ago, Gaz said:

It's not being melodramatic, though.

Last year was the worst team I'd seen in 34 years. Only two teams came close - the 'relegation' season and the Ochilview season. Both of those teams had mitigating circumstances, last season's didn't.

At this stage last season, it was the worst team I'd seen in my life.

This season is worse.

If you think I'm being melodramatic, then go on - name me a worse team.

Jesus, my comment has got a few people all excited.

Just a quick point you mention the Ochilview season as being bad. We were top in parts of that season (if memory serves me correctly) and I wouldn't say it was that bad to get mentioned 

Onto my point...in 01/02 We finished 2nd bottom in a league containing some real dross who also handed us some pastings. Even Raith the team who finished bottom beat us 5-1 and 5-2.  Alloa cant even beat us let alone thrash us. We also lost 6 to Clyde at home for fuxake.

It's easy to say this team is worse now given a lot of people on here are too young to remember that season well or have put it to bed considering it's been 16 years.

This season has 2 small sides in the league in Ayr and Alloa and Ayr are playing incredibly well so probably shouldn't be counted.

In 01/02 we had Arbroath, Ayr, Raith and both the Northern sides (Who used to be crap before investment arrived) and only Raith finished below us.

This season is bad and up there with the worst but I can't be having it's worse than 01/02 after only 3 months and a lot about to change.

Fair point though and honourable mention on the mitigating circumstances.

Edited by Gaz FFC

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

1. The national league is at worst a similar level to the Scottish championship, if not better.

2. Scott Shepherd and Kevin O'Hara weren't first team players(and one is still contracted to the club).

The only first team players now playing at a lower level than us are Rory Loy and Robbie Thomson(both of whom had options to stay in the championship).

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

1. The national league is at worst a similar level to the Scottish championship, if not better.

2. Scott Shepherd and Kevin O'Hara weren't first team players(and one is still contracted to the club).

The only first team players now playing at a lower level than us are Rory Loy and Robbie Thomson(both of whom had options to stay in the championship).

You didn't say "first team players". You said the "squad".

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

You didn't say "first team players". You said the "squad".

In other words, only 2 first team members of our "worst squad ever" are currently playing at a lower level than us, both of whom chose to do so.

Also, if you're going to include youth players, Cameron Blues also plays in te Premier League.

Edited by EdiBairn

2 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

In other words, only 2 first team members of our "worst squad ever" are currently playing at a lower level than us, both of whom chose to do so.

But your argument isn't how many players are playing at a lower level.

Your argument is that the vast majority of last year's squad (your words) are playing at a higher level to us.

That's just not right.

Be interesting to see if McKinnon plays it cool in January, and goes for short term fixes to (try to) keep us in the league, or if he takes a more pragmatic approach, and goes for the start of a proper squad rebuild that will still be in place beyond next summer.