The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Be interesting to see if McKinnon plays it cool in January, and goes for short term fixes to (try to) keep us in the league, or if he takes a more pragmatic approach, and goes for the start of a proper squad rebuild that will still be in place beyond next summer.

I think he'll need to do the former. Will need several short term loan signings a la Jak, Nelson given the budget constraints.

Far from ideal, but where we are. Be interesting to see if he taps into any foreign markets. 

I think its a safe bet that Ray is going to have a budget of some sort.

The bighest quandary for him is whether he sees the situation at this point requiring him to skelp the budget on a small pool of free agents, or whether to gamble on getting the quality in January but with less points available.

What is certain is he needs to have a very high strike rate in terms of the players he brings in. Buaben is probably a good sign of his intentions but we are yet to see him play. Maybe another one free agent then two or three in Jan.

All the talk from BPM declaring the only logical reason for McKinnon to punt those 4 last week was because they would be moping around and bringing down morale, which, instead of eradicating that element, it transferred back to the whole team looking at that 'performance' 

It certainly wasn’t financial

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

The bighest quandary for him is whether he sees the situation at this point requiring him to skelp the budget on a small pool of free agents, or whether to gamble on getting the quality in January but with less points available.

I'd take Option B. Despite how bad we are, I don't think we'll be any more than 4-5 points behind 9th come January.

I'd take Option B. Despite how bad we are, I don't think we'll be any more than 4-5 points behind 9th come January.
Yeah its a gamble of the quality of player available now versus hoping we scrape enough/Alloa dont scrape enough for us to be adrift. The one constant is the requirement for an abnormally high hit rate for transfers.

Probably one one or two more pre January.....in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s only one more.

January, possibly three more again, and we still have to operate with three or four duds til the end of the season. A wee marquee do to celebrate some of this mob departing at the end of the season would be fine by me. Might have to wait til May 2020 for a Paton party though.......

5 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

In other words, only 2 first team members of our "worst squad ever" are currently playing at a lower level than us, both of whom chose to do so.

Also, if you're going to include youth players, Cameron Blues also plays in te Premier League.

Gasparotto?

Blues is on loan at Brechin.

Can we just all accept that EdiBairn's claim that vast majority of last year's squad are now playing at a higher level than us is a load of pish?

It will doubtless be the usual tightly stage managed affair. We know full well that there will be no formal apology for yet another enormous foul up just as in previous years there has never been any admission of culpability for anything.

Craig Campbell is the one who might be thrown to the lions this time around. It won’t cost him his job, but I doubt that the MSG will do much to prevent him getting at least a bit of a mauling. He wanted to be front and centre when he thought everything was rosey, but quickly vanished when his words all turned to bollocks.

It will doubtless be the usual tightly stage managed affair. We know full well that there will be no formal apology for yet another enormous foul up just as in previous years there has never been any admission of culpability for anything.
Craig Campbell is the one who might be thrown to the lions this time around. It won’t cost him his job, but I doubt that the MSG will do much to prevent him getting at least a bit of a mauling. He wanted to be front and centre when he thought everything was rosey, but quickly vanished when his words all turned to bollocks.
I would temper your expectations if its a formal apology you are wanting.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think its a safe bet that Ray is going to have a budget of some sort.

What is certain is he needs to have a very high strike rate in terms of the players he brings in. Buaben is probably a good sign of his intentions but we are yet to see him play. Maybe another one free agent then two or three in Jan.

In years gone by we could promote players from the youth like Wallace, Kingsley, Fulton, Arfield, Sibbs  etc etc - they would also have some affiliation with the club and I think excite the fans coz they are "one of our own".

Now it's a case of yet another desperate delve into the market for other teams' cast-offs or their young players they'd like us to develop for them.

This BOD has , unintentionally I think , killed the soul of the club. Low quality nobodies coming from all over the place for a few months - but Ray has no other options really, totally hamstrung.

You reap what you sow. 

Don’t agree with the “killing the soul” stuff. We didn’t have an academy in the 70s 80s or 90s, and supporters then felt no more distanced from the club than they did when we had the academy.

i myself was a critic of our football factory years, as it was clear we weren’t developing players to further FFC. It was player farming to sell off as soon as possible simply to meet operating costs.

There is no definitive right or wrong way to run a football team, and fans will always feel an affinity to a team that punches at its weight, and seeks to further itself through shrewd business moves. St Johnstone are held up as a perfect example, but of course, they sold Muirton to a supermarket, and nice farmer McDiarmid then gave them the land for free for their new stadium which they own outright. We bargained our way into a much much poorer outcome.

Have a barnstorming Falkirk team that wins more than it loses, and the support will be there.

13 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yep. This was all the more surprising to me considering how long we've given managers in the past who are patently out of their depth (May, Houston etc.).

Wow , how quickly history gets rewritten on this forum - one bad couple of months and all of a sudden Houston was as out of his depth as that all time major managerial disaster Eddie May. 

Let's conveniently forget all the play offs, beating Hibs all the time & Sevco and a Scottish Cup final - patently out of his depth obviously.  

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Don’t agree with the “killing the soul” stuff. We didn’t have an academy in the 70s 80s or 90s, and supporters then felt no more distanced from the club than they did when we had the academy.

i myself was a critic of our football factory years, as it was clear we weren’t developing players to further FFC. It was player farming to sell off as soon as possible simply to meet operating costs.

There is no definitive right or wrong way to run a football team, and fans will always feel an affinity to a team that punches at its weight, and seeks to further itself through shrewd business moves. St Johnstone are held up as a perfect example, but of course, they sold Muirton to a supermarket, and nice farmer McDiarmid then gave them the land for free for their new stadium which they own outright. We bargained our way into a much much poorer outcome.

Have a barnstorming Falkirk team that wins more than it loses, and the support will be there.

Maybe not an academy as such in those years but we brought in young players from the area and developed them.

You are correct our academy players were systematically sold off to meet operating costs .......of the club as a whole. Somewhat worrying that money will not be coming in moving "forward".   We all know the academy paid for itself over it's lifetime - but I'm not getting into another argument on that subject.    

Oh and there is a definitive wrong way to run a football team - you are watching it.