The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

If the last 2 seasons have taught me anything it's how everyone loves to be as melodramatic as possible.

"Worst team in my lifetime"

"Worst performance I've seen"

Had COYB and P&B been around forever I'm pretty sure I would find these same quotes made multiple times in 95/96 and 01/02.

Christ I read the same quotes last season!!!!

Yes it's bad and I'm not gonnae sugercoat shite, but let's ease off on the dramatics for fuxake.

It's not being melodramatic, though.

Last year was the worst team I'd seen in 34 years. Only two teams came close - the 'relegation' season and the Ochilview season. Both of those teams had mitigating circumstances, last season's didn't.

At this stage last season, it was the worst team I'd seen in my life.

This season is worse.

If you think I'm being melodramatic, then go on - name me a worse team.

I don’t think it’s melodramatic at all to say that this is the worst Falkirk team ever. 

100% the worst in my lifetime. I can’t speak before then but this lot have to be up there.

It’s actually bewildering how bad they are.

Also 100% the worst Falkirk team I’ve ever seen. The football is of amateur standard. I kinda feel sorry for the players because the bottom line is they genuinely aren’t good enough. They could try all they like but most don’t have the quality required.
f**k that. This group trying hard got us a result against Alloa. I dont care if Dunfermline are better than Alloa. That can account being defeated in a game but Saturday was downing tools levels of effort. Thats not forgivable regardless of talent level.

Folk can dismiss Alloa if they want for being part time but only Stephen Dobbie stopped them winning away to Queens and 3 others have failed to beat them. The difference in performance level was stark and thats down to attitude.

It's not even a debate, statistically it's the worst ever start to a league season. The obvious comparison in recent times is with 2001/02 but that team went to Love St and won 5-1, came back from 2-0 down to beat Ross County 4-2, won  at Dingwall and Inverness. Take away Alloa and I would not bet against us getting a result against any other team in the division, home or away. Anyone with a set of eyes can see how bad we are.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

f**k that. This group trying hard got us a result against Alloa. I dont care if Dunfermline are better than Alloa. That can account being defeated in a game but Saturday was downing tools levels of effort. Thats not forgivable regardless of talent level.

Folk can dismiss Alloa if they want for being part time but only Stephen Dobbie stopped them winning away to Queens and 3 others have failed to beat them. The difference in performance level was stark and thats down to attitude.

Alloa at the recs and Alloa away are completely different sides, I dare say the narrow pitch would've suited Falkirk perfectly, wlyou don't play with any width and it would allow slightly less gaps in behind your full back's. 

Alloa at the recs and Alloa away are completely different sides, I dare say the narrow pitch would've suited Falkirk perfectly, wlyou don't play with any width and it would allow slightly less gaps in behind your full back's. 
That doesnt account for the difference in performance level. Saturdays performance doesnt get a result at Alloa.

must've been some team meeting last week, beat alloa and then get a chance to really kick start the season in a huge game v the pars, the players then decide they'll just not try in the pars game. can anyone give me a sensible reason why the players wouldn't try? why can't we just get beat because the other team (and most if not all the others in this league) have better players than our squad!

must've been some team meeting last week, beat alloa and then get a chance to really kick start the season in a huge game v the pars, the players then decide they'll just not try in the pars game. can anyone give me a sensible reason why the players wouldn't try? why can't we just get beat because the other team (and most if not all the others in this league) have better players than our squad!
Do you think a high effort was on display there? No doubt they have better players, but they were also first to everything, never pressed and barely tackled.

I really do think they were trying out there on Saturday, they just aren't good enough players. The guy near me in the south stand couldn't understand why we kept punting the ball upfield when it wasn't working, he couldn't see we just don't have players with the skill level to pass the ball up the park. It's ability not effort that's lacking. 

13 hours ago, Bairn Necessities said:

In that guy's defence I remember the Brockville lynch mobs, when we were in a much better state than we are now.

Players used to have to exit the door at the back of the main stand and face the music. Stood there more than once with a couple of hundred others venting, more often at the board than players to be honest. Thats almost always where the ire should be focused. It happens. Or it used to.

Different stadium. Different fanbase. Different times. Different club. 

I left Saturday unsurprised and fairly unbothered by the defeat or performance. Numbed now. Can understand the guy's frustration, even if not his methods. 

A few old fashioned white sheets in the south stand with instruction for the board in black lettering would do the trick. I'm sure Lewis could arrange for the camera to linger during a spell when we're not  stringing the passes together. 

Edited by Stainrod

14 hours ago, Gaz said:

I blame the cereal-eaters as much as the BOD, by the way. Those fans who are happy enough with however we perform as long as they get a couple of hours out the house every other Saturday. "Ah well, next week, COYB".

To be fair that's the BOD as well .....just substitute "a couple of hours" for "5 or 6 hours"  and lose the "COYB".

4 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I really do think they were trying out there on Saturday, they just aren't good enough players. The guy near me in the south stand couldn't understand why we kept punting the ball upfield when it wasn't working, he couldn't see we just don't have players with the skill level to pass the ball up the park. It's ability not effort that's lacking. 

Ian McCall said on BBC Scotland that just punting the ball up field is a sign of very low confidence (was talking in general terms not specifically about Falkirk), rather than a lack of ability. 

6 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Yip. The players are pish but they are trying. They look mentally broken already. 

For some reason there are still people who believe we have a bunch of #ballers in our team despite all the evidence to the contrary. 

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Alloa may not go down they have an excellent manager who will has enough tactical nounce to ensure they start turning their draws into wins. Once they find there feet in this league they will pick up more points I'm certain. We need to aim for mid table by getting in fresh talent whenever, however and by whatever means necessary. It's desperate measures that are needed for desperate times. 

On 19/01/2011 at 14:33, Kris. said:

think we're fucked for years to come to be quite honest. When Pressley goes, it will just be another cheap appointment to replace him (Possibly Bullen as you mentioned.), and it will only carry on from there if that doesn't work out. No money to bring in a decent manager and no money to bring in some better players. The blame for that lies firmly at the door of the BOD for their piss poor decisions they've made in recent years.

Waal Kris the sooth sayer called it exactly in 2011.Nothing new then! 

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

Waal Kris the sooth sayer called it exactly in 2011.Nothing new then! 

Worrying looking back at that thread from the start and seeing how many people called it that we were in for years of despair if our current model continued.

I know that thread didn't start until 2011 but for me you can trace our decline directly to "The Next Level" shambles.

Falkirk need winning run

Falkirk midfielder Burton O’Brien last night warned his team-mates they risk missing out on a top-six place unless they soon achieve a winning run - starting by ending their half-century of Aberdeen agony.

The 27-year-old felt John Hughes’ side was already a top-half outfit in name when he joined from Sheffield Wednesday in the summer. 

Hughes has achieved back-to-back seventh-place finishes, but O’Brien believed his arrival, allied to the likes of Lee Bullen, Jackie McNamara and Neil McCann, would see the Bairns reach the next level. 

But O’Brien knows they are up against the weight of history with the Bairns last triumphing in the north-east in March 1958.

The ex-Scotland Under-21 said: "When I came here, I definitely thought this was a top-six team, without a shadow of a doubt. I still say it now, we’re a top-six team.

"The thing that has let us down is consistency and I suppose that’s why Hearts and Dundee United are up there at the moment. The disappointing thing is not turning some of our draws into wins to be higher up the league.”

Anyone else mind when Hughes ditched his policy of signing young, raw, hungry and determined players who took us to 7th two seasons in a row and replaced them with his old, injury-prone mates?