The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

The crowds will be down to below 3,000 before Christmas, never mind next season. 

Worrying that the board think that suggestion is laughable. We used to get around 2,000 at Brockville fairly regularly during the 90s in the second tier.

I don’t think that the suggestion being considered laughable can be taken as the collective view of the BoD. It was one person.

What I would say was that even after the first half v ICT, a lot of supporters knew damn fine that what we were seeing were very poor players in Falkirk shirts. It wasn’t teething problems. It was players who were too slow of action and thought, and players simply unable to control or pass a ball.

I think that reality took much longer to hit home for the BoD, and before Saturday, I bet you the majority were bullish that we had really turned a corner.

What we have been calling “mistakes” or “errors” aren’t that at all. Players who can ninety nine times out of a hundred do things better make mistakes or errors. What we see from the likes of Harrison and Dallison and Lewis and TOE is absolutely typical of what they can produce at this level.

To be fair to them, they haven't been inactive . We've punted Hartley and his clown  assistants at a cost, punted the idiot scout, brought in McKinnon and his backroom team and allowed him to sign Buaben on a free, as well as starting the January clear out (which would have cost money).

The acid test is to come in the next window but I think the board are very well aware of the shit we are in and what's needed to get 9th in this league.

Edited by Bairn Necessities

Hopefully Buaben can come in and make a big difference. I'd quite like a right back to come in (I know, captain obvious) and move Muirhead into the middle with McGhee, now I'm not saying Muirhead in the middle is the answer but it will in my opinion be a good bit better Harrison or Dallison. If Mitchell stays fit then he will be fine in goals.

Those small changes could improve us a fair bit. 

6 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

To be fair to them, they haven't been inactive . We've punted Hartley and his clown  assistants at a cost, punted the idiot scout, brought in McKinnon and his backroom team and allowed him to sign Buaben on a free, as well as starting the January clear out (which would have cost money).

Yep. This was all the more surprising to me considering how long we've given managers in the past who are patently out of their depth (May, Houston etc.).

The idea that last season's squad was our 'worst ever' is utterly laughable and those saying it wouldn't know a football if it hit them in the face. 

It contained almost exactly the same players who finished 2nd twice in a row, and virtually all the players in it are currently playing for teams above us, with some in the premier league. 

2 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

The idea that last season's squad was our 'worst ever' is utterly laughable and those saying it wouldn't know a football if it hit them in the face. 

It contained almost exactly the same players who finished 2nd twice in a row, and virtually all the players in it are currently playing for teams above us, with some in the premier league. 

As mentioned previously there had been rumours of a stitch up to get Houstie out whether or not that is true or not i dare say only a few people know.  The issue is we had that bit of quality in the squad that made others step up namely Vaulks and Leahy players of that quality on our budget are few and far between they are out there but its just getting lucky.  Reaplacing Vaulks with Rankine was never going to work.

Through gritted teeth, if Muirhead still has to get a game, I think I would prefer him paired with Brough, and McGhee is then used to keep Paton out of the team. We could at least then try Russell and Robson as a full back combo. God knows, anything has to be better than the Harrison Muirhead Dallison comedy act.

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Through gritted teeth, if Muirhead still has to get a game, I think I would prefer him paired with Brough, and McGhee is then used to keep Paton out of the team. We could at least then try Russell and Robson as a full back combo. God knows, anything has to be better than the Harrison Muirhead Dallison comedy act.

I'd like to think Buaben will keep Paton out the team. McGhee needs to now play at centre half every week. 

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I want Brough as far away from this team as humanly possible

The first priority has to be removing Dallison and Harrison from the team. Muirhead is 10 times the player of both, and I'd start him every day of the week with our current options.

Mitchell

Kidd Muirhead McGhee Brough

Russell Buaben McKee Sammut Robson

Rudden

Edited by EdiBairn

16 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

The first priority has to be removing Dallison and Harrison from the team. Muirhead is 10 times the player of both, and I'd start him every day of the week with our current options.

Mitchell

Kidd Muirhead McGhee Brough

Russell Buaben McKee Sammut Robson

Rudden

Started off well then lost me. Russell and Robson as attacking wide men would create zero.

Mitchell

Kidd Muirhead McGhee Russell

Petra Bauben McKee Dunne

Rudden O'Hara

2 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Started off well then lost me. Russell and Robson as attacking wide men would create zero.

Mitchell

Kidd Muirhead McGhee Russell

Petra Bauben McKee Dunne

Rudden O'Hara

Our players aren't good enough to crate anything against teams in this league. We need to shut up shop, dig in and get 10 men behind the ball if we're going to grind out points until January. We'd be annihilated playing  2 up front against many teams in this league.

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

Our players aren't good enough to crate anything against teams in this league. We need to shut up shop, dig in and get 10 men behind the ball if we're going to grind out points until January. We'd be annihilated playing  2 up front against many teams in this league.

Petra and Rudden did well against Ayr as a front 2. Then we forgot and started playing Petra as a winger again, because reasons.

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

We played 2 up top versus Ayr with a midfield diamond and the first half was the best we've played this season until Shankland struck again.

Alloa we played 3 attackers and then 3 attackers again against Dunfermline (Petra - Rudden - Lewis) so 4-4-2 is simpler for these players to work with and has an extra man in midfield.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

"thin margins"

We've been beaten in 7 out of 8 games this season.

How many of those defeats do you put down to thin margins?

Three of the defeats were by one goal and Saturday was sitting at a one goal defeat till the 90th min, not that hard to grasp.

We are a shambles of a team but other than County albeit seem more of a good balance of a team with options and QoS with Dobbie, I dont think I have seen that much with the others, of course the majority are better balanced and decentish players than us but reality is only QoS have gave us a serious 90 min pumping.

6 of our wins last season were by one goal margins and four of them couldve easily been draws, three of them especially with last min or a goal with mins to go.

43 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I see you've now changed from saying "every player is now playing for teams above us" when it was pointed out that what you said was incorrect.

Mitchell

Kidd   Muirhead  McGhee Robson

Russel   Bauben  Irving    Dunne

Petra Rudden

Given what we currently have available, i'd go with that.  Ideally bring in a RB and someone to play Right wing. At which point Kidd, Russel and McKee can fight each other for who gets to leave and who has to stay and occasionally come on when Irving runs out of legs.